M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so most of you on here ;ike the e3..has anyone on here been on there second set..how was the wear,,,,,how many miles did you get...

like to know before i buy.....

or do you buy it cuz it a cheap tire.....

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
On third. 1)stock 10k 2)E3 12k(with Dyna Beads) 3)Current E3 2k I chose the E3 250 cause the word was they last longer, handle fine, are cheaper, and they are a little wider than Metz 260

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
metz is the only tire for this bike and I've tried them all. EIII-avon-stockers:dontknow: Nothing but metzlers from now on. that's just one mans opinion.:bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
metz is the only tire for this bike and I've tried them all. EIII-avon-stockers:dontknow: Nothing but metzlers from now on. that's just one mans opinion.:bigthumbsup:
And if you live in the twisties, I would only go Metzler also. If you ride the twisties HARD and often go with the Metzler. But if you are like me and only ride the twisties hard less then 10% of the time then go with the E3. And I can ride the twisties hard and my E3 has not let me down to date.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
12,500 on my first set, and still going. Probably another 1,500 or so 'til I swap out for my second set. Semi-agressive riding style.

Just ordered my second set from Dennis Kirk. Shipped today, be here buy Friday next week.

I will say, if I was hitting the twisties hard all the time, I'd have Metz's on. But I don't have the coin to replace a set every 6,000 miles or so at $100-$150 more per set.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,874 Posts
I'm on my second set of E3's. I got over 11,000 miles out of the rear and almost 13,000 out of the front. Both had some tread left but I changed the rear out before the mid-Atlantic meet to have a new tire and the front out because I had time.

They wear great and handle a ton better than the stock tires.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
I'll never pay the price for Metzelers again in this life. The E-IIIs are a great tire at a great price. They wear great, and handle as good as I could ask for, without emptying my wallet.

Sold.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I have had four sets of tires...

Stockers about 8500 miles...

Metzler 1 about 6000

Metzler 2 about 7000

E3's about 8.000 with a ways to go... I would hope to get at least another 2000.

I bought the E3's because while i loved the handling of the Metzlers the softer compound just got to expensive to run. I thought I would give the E3's a try because they were a harder compound.... which apparnetly they are given how well they are holding up.

I am using Dyna Beads now too and they sure do seem to work well.

I won't say the price of the E3's didnt figure into the purchase but I was really looking for a longer lasting tire that still performed well. The E3's have delivered exactly that and the handling is great too.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I have had four sets of tires...

Stockers about 8500 miles...

Metzler 1 about 6000

Metzler 2 about 7000

E3's about 8.000 with a ways to go... I would hope to get at least another 2000.

I bought the E3's because while i loved the handling of the Metzlers the softer compound just got to expensive to run. I thought I would give the E3's a try because they were a harder compound.... which apparnetly they are given how well they are holding up.

I am using Dyna Beads now too and they sure do seem to work well.

I won't say the price of the E3's didnt figure into the purchase but I was really looking for a longer lasting tire that still performed well. The E3's have delivered exactly that and the handling is great too.
Does Dunlop offer the E3s in a 280/40 rear and a 160/60 front? If so, it might be worth me trying a set. I have a 10" custom rear wheel and I can't see putting a 250 tire on a 10" wheel.

G

·
And if you live in the twisties, I would only go Metzler also. If you ride the twisties HARD and often go with the Metzler. But if you are like me and only ride the twisties hard less then 10% of the time then go with the E3. And I can ride the twisties hard and my E3 has not let me down to date.
It's funny to hear you say that. It's obvous from reading some of these numbers that the E3 is a harder compound geared toward mileage. How many miles did you get out of your stockers? My Dun front was baked at 4500, and my rear was on pace for that before I got that cut in it. Of course, I don't go much past the wear bars, or in the case of the front wear bars and heat cycled.

No idea what to expect out of the Bridge/Avon combo I got now.

Just so I am calibrating right, when you say you ride twisties hard, you mean like like this, more lean angle?(see pic), heavy left to right transition? It seems all of these tire work just fine, it's coming down to preference then.

·
Registered
501 Posts
i tried e3's got about 4000 miles out of rear.went through two rears to one front. switch to avon's get 4000 miles out of rear get 3 rears to one front. handling there is no comparison,like rynosback said the e3's are great if your not running alot of twisties. where i live there aren't many straight roads! lol. stockers i killed the rear in 3400 miles.

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
It's funny to hear you say that. It's obvous from reading some of these numbers that the E3 is a harder compound geared toward mileage. How many miles did you get out of your stockers? My Dun front was baked at 4500, and my rear was on pace for that before I got that cut in it. Of course, I don't go much past the wear bars, or in the case of the front wear bars and heat cycled.

No idea what to expect out of the Bridge/Avon combo I got now.

Just so I am calibrating right, when you say you ride twisties hard, you mean like like this, more lean angle?(see pic), heavy left to right transition? It seems all of these tire work just fine, it's coming down to preference then.
If I remember correctly, I switched my stockers out at 10,000-11,000 miles and still had some tread left on the rear(Above the warning bars). The front tire was cupping a little , but that is common of the stock front tire. I was putting chrome wheels on and there was no sense in putting tires on that were getting close. I think the best way to maximize your or any tire is to check and maintain your tire inflation properly.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
How in the heck did you only get 4500 from your front? People have gotten 20K from a front....My stockers lasted 12,500 miles I switch the front out only because I got a deal on a tire combo. The front could have lasted til I swapped out my next rear.

G

·
How in the heck did you only get 4500 from your front? People have gotten 20K from a front....My stockers lasted 12,500 miles I switch the front out only because I got a deal on a tire combo. The front could have lasted til I swapped out my next rear.
I ride the bike hard. Everyone thinks I am full of it. But this bike gets pummeled. I attack the curves, was down to the wear bars. The tire also had too many heat cycles and with the hot summer, it was getting greasy. My tire had pretty even wear, no real scalloping or "cupping" as it's referred to. I run 36/38 pressure front-rear.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I ride the bike hard. Everyone thinks I am full of it. But this bike gets pummeled. I attack the curves, was down to the wear bars. The tire also had too many heat cycles and with the hit summer, it was getting greasy. My tire had pretty even wear, no real scalloping or "cupping" as it's referred to. I run 36/38 pressure front-rear.
Same here, I got about 3000 miles out of my stockers, lots of hard riding :bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,874 Posts
I only got 5200 out of the stock tires, the rear was down below the bars and the front was cupped pretty bad. So I don't take it too easy on them.

One thing I have found is deceleration is as hard on the rear tire on this bike as acceleration is, or close. My stocker had feathering that almost covered the tread groves, and looking at the way it was feathered, it was from deceleration. I used to love to downshift it at higher rpms and listen to it purr, but I stopped doing that once I found what it was doing to the tires.

G

·
I only got 5200 out of the stock tires, the rear was down below the bars and the front was cupped pretty bad. So I don't take it too easy on them.

One thing I have found is deceleration is as hard on the rear tire on this bike as acceleration is, or close. My stocker had feathering that almost covered the tread groves, and looking at the way it was feathered, it was from deceleration. I used to love to downshift it at higher rpms and listen to it purr, but I stopped doing that once I found what it was doing to the tires.
Are you familiar with a "throttle blip" downshift?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Did someone state that the Dunlop 250 is a wider tire than the Metz 260? How is that possible, since 260 is 10 wider than 250? I obviously know nothing about tires, but can someone help a slow learner out with this one? Could it be the height profile....???

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Did someone state that the Dunlop 250 is a wider tire than the Metz 260? How is that possible, since 260 is 10 wider than 250? I obviously know nothing about tires, but can someone help a slow learner out with this one? Could it be the height profile....???
Simple enough, all manufacturers measurements are not the same.
Since I have been riding, Metzelers have always been smaller than any other companies tires.

The 250 Elite is noticably larger than the M260.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts