M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep reading these post that say I hit 140 and I kept wondering how? Sorry guys but had it on the dyno and 140 is not happening. Your speedo my say 140 but your top speed is 127 in 4th. We tried it in 5th and the speed limiter kicks in way before that. I am not saying that it wont do 140 but you will have to find a way around the speed limiter. If you don't believe me take yours to a dyno and see how far off your speedometer is.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ppridgen1 said:
guess it must go off after 70 mph then cause my indicated and the radar yesterday both match perfect at that speed.and i went 130 yesterday on the way back from destination daytona harley(with my wife on back and a heavily ladden set of saddlebags)!Maybe you baby is sick
Nope I would love to say it will do more but when you get it on the dyno have them check what speedo says and what you are really doing. The same thing happened with the vtx guys. There were a lot of them saying they were going faster than the bike could do because the speedo gets further off the faster you go.

·
Registered
23 Posts
it does 146mph where i test ...slight up hill 3mile open run .....GPS 6700rpm in 5th thats were it cuts out!!! end of story ....take a garmin gps tie rap it to the bars and see for your self ..its gps and its accurate....i did it w/my cobra also and got 183mph on gps....its the only accurate way!!!! :D

·
Registered
817 Posts
vtxoak said:
I keep reading these post that say I hit 140 and I kept wondering how? Sorry guys but had it on the dyno and 140 is not happening. Your speedo my say 140 but your top speed is 127 in 4th.
I've tested the M109R and the two other Boulevards I've owned by GPS, and each speedo was off by just about 8%. Assuming the 8% +/- is a good rule of thumb for this bike, then 140 mph indicated would be about a true 129 mph. Given the error inherent in trying to sight-read a speedo going 140, I'd say 127 true speed at 140 on the speedo is probably very, very close.

So, the guys who are claiming speeds of 140 aren't "lying", as they are going by the indicated speed -- which is in fact about 127 mph true.

I'm quite sure the bike would go faster if the 5th gear rev limiter could be overridden. But then, I'm not sure why you'd want to go any faster.

G

·
So ,,are you saying 127 mph in fourth is actually mph?Cause I got to tell ya,,,I've redline 4th,,clicked fifth and it still keeps climbing....I have yet to hit a top end limiter...Yes the speedo ,,indicates 140 or so,,and I do realize 140 is not actual,,....but Again,,I have not hit any top end limiter...and it was me that let off..not the bike...

·
Registered
152 Posts
traysvega said:
So ,,are you saying 127 mph in fourth is actually mph?Cause I got to tell ya,,,I've redline 4th,,clicked fifth and it still keeps climbing....I have yet to hit a top end limiter...Yes the speedo ,,indicates 140 or so,,and I do realize 140 is not actual,,....but Again,,I have not hit any top end limiter...and it was me that let off..not the bike...
Same Here.

G

·
My next question would be,,,,Suzuki,,Why put a top end limiter on it?can't be for warranty reasons,,, because your able to redline it to 7500 anyway....and it not like its a busa able to top 200mph.Just doesnt make any sense,as to why ....Think maybe it was something that was a good idea at first,,they they change their minds,,so it not on all m109s?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Ok vtxoak you got me confused here. Are you saying that on the dyno in fifth gear you got the rev limiter to engage and the speed is 127? Do you recall the rpm's? The reason I ask is after reading this post I took my 109 on a good stretch and opened it up. I have a few mods done lite K&N's and an Fi2000 installed and @ a speedo indicated 135 mph and I had plenty of room left on the tach....around 1700 rpm left until the rev limiter would kick in @ 7500 rpm. I am no matematical genius but something isn't adding up here. For arguments sake lets say I was only going 120 and mt speedo read 135 and I had 1700 rpm's before the rev limiter would kick in, then isn't it possible that if I used up the rest of my rps's that my speed would eventually reach 140 or higher? Maybe you guys did something wrong at the dyno or your bike is way out of wack. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
817 Posts
pizzmor said:
I took my 109 on a good stretch and opened it up. I have a few mods done lite K&N's and an Fi2000 installed and @ a speedo indicated 135 mph and I had plenty of room left on the tach....around 1700 rpm left until the rev limiter would kick in @ 7500 rpm.
Pizzmor,

What he is saying that the rev limiter kicks in earlier in 5th gear, well before 7,500.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wanted said:
Pizzmor,

What he is saying that the rev limiter kicks in earlier in 5th gear, well before 7,500.
I don't think it is the rev limiter in 5th it is the speed limiter. I don't know why they did it but we ran is several times and 4th was always our top speed and the speed limiter would kick in every time in 5th before we hit 127. Hey I want it to do 140 as much as the next guy but you have to be realistic.

·
Registered
411 Posts
To each their own I guess :D I am an ex- Hyabusa owner and am now 50 years old waiting on my first grandchild so f*** 140mph or more and this living in a country (Germany) where I can legally ride that speed :bigthumbsup: The M1800R or as ya´ll call it the M109 is a dream bike, that looks choice and has power to spare what more do I need if I would only have been concerned with speed I would have bought another Busa ;)

·
Registered
253 Posts
has ayone got a workshop manual on CD like they did with the Busa's would be great to have a look at the electrical diagrams and find the speed limiter and disable it as to TRE being fitted I dont know enough about this bike yet to know if Suzuki has retarded the timing as they did with the 02 upward Busa's I personally dont know enough about te V Twins at this time to know what Suzuki is doing but it sure sounds like the bike is speed limited and not hitting the rev limiter by what I have read and in saying this I have a friend that owns a Suzuki dearlership and bought the M109R for himself I will be talking with his mechanics very soon about performance mods for this machine and what ever usefull info I get will be passed on here

·
Registered
346 Posts
Ok I had no idea this thing had a speed limiter in it, thought it was just a rev limiter. Hmmm.....I would like to see some concrete info on this. Could be a first model run issue we all were hoping would not be an issue. As for why would anyone want to go that fast, well why not. Plus it would be nice on track days to not look like a jackass. Thanks.

G

·
Well,,I'm not sure what the hecks the deal here.....I just got off the phone with Suzuki and got patched to someone in tech? from suzuki ...and quote ,,there is no speed limiter,only a rev limiter at 7400 rpm in any gear including fifth....???????????????????????

·
Registered
849 Posts
I don't believe there's a speed limiter, and I'll take Suzuki's word for it. It just doesn't make sense to me and certainly doesn't seem consistent across the spectrum of experience on the board.
And yet I can't explain why Oak's Dyno runs turned out the way they did.
jer

·
Registered
192 Posts
Is it possible that it's not pulling 5th to redline? Thats fairly typical if it doesn't have enough power. It's not exactly streamlined. Remember, required power increases exponentially with speed. Our bikes HP peaks at 6200, so perhaps past that peak, it just can't push the air out of the way. It takes MONDO hp to go that fast, especially given our bike's Cd. I'm fine with 129 or whatever. I rarely exceed that speed on my sportbikes on the street, and it doesn't take nearly as long...

btw, even 20 more hp won't help a whole lot given the math.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Streamlined shouldn't have anything to do with it. He is on a Dyno so he isn't exactly getting slowed down by air pressure.

It's really weird because some are reporting this and some are not.

What we need is someone with the 127 top speed limitation on the Dyno to run a GPS on the road and someone with the GPS on the road that got well over 127 to run it on a dyno.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just bringin' this back to the top. I'd like to see an answer to this conundrum! Personaly I hunkered down on mine, ran up to just over 100- when I sat up, the wind blast nearly took me off the bike! Felt Uber-sweet right up till then! Still, all-in-all I was awed by the "quickining". One BAD V-deuce!!! :bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts