M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so here goes, i'm ready for the "USE THE F"IN SEARCH BUTTON" replies but anyway...i have been searching through thread after thread about the clutch rattle and loose tube nut and all that stuff...my clutch was really really loud and clanky...so i decided to tear the clutch apart and just look at everything...i've only had the bike for 3 weeks. i noticed once i got the hub off that 4 out of the 6 springs in it move back and forth about an 8th of an inch almost, if i just twist the hub in my hand it makes a tremendous rattle. are they supposed to move that much? if i replace with stock springs are they gonna be that loose soon again? also the tube nut was not removable by hand so i think i am gonna leave that alone, no reason to take something apart that "isn't serviceable". so the question is get stock springs? or mtc? or barnett? or cycle house? or just do the bluey fix? thank you guys so much for your help and any suggestions, i appreciate all the help i can get.

:bdh:

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Springs

The fixed springs in the clutch hub are what rattle, not the springs you can replace that hold the clutch discs together. The are not replaceble, but can be made quiet by bending the tabs down to touch them (Bluey Fix). I did it to mine long ago, and it's still good. Not everyone on the board agrees this is the answer, all I can say, is it worked for me.
I also agree that if your tube nut is tight, leave it alone. I did that too.
Since you already have it apart, and the noise obviously bothers you, I see no reason not to bend the tabs tight.
Congrats on the bike, and having the guts to take it apart so soon!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks alot cbrdude!! that makes sense...has anyone replaced the hub then and found that the springs in there are tighter? i will try the "bluey fix" and hope that helps out until it bothers me again. i have always been a tinkerer, so i don't mind ripping into things, i have (so i like to think) a pretty good understanding on how most things on a bike/car work...or if i don't i love to learn while taking it apart! :doorag:

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
New hub tighter?

thanks alot cbrdude!! that makes sense...has anyone replaced the hub then and found that the springs in there are tighter? i will try the "bluey fix" and hope that helps out until it bothers me again. i have always been a tinkerer, so i don't mind ripping into things, i have (so i like to think) a pretty good understanding on how most things on a bike/car work...or if i don't i love to learn while taking it apart! :doorag:
From what I remember, a few members have gotten a new hub, and it rattled just like their old one. The springs are 2 different sizes too. It's
Suzuki's "design". I haven't heard any reason they need to be loose.
Happy tinkering!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts