M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Just watch... I know 1st hand how cities get around things like this. Just remember, if you get pulled over, Hands interlaced on your head. Make the police officer comfortable. Don't make any sudden movements. Do as he asks, and tell him what you're doing i.e. reaching for your wallet or getting off bike to retrieve paperwork. Be respectful. They will be pulling over anyone, for anything! They have to recover funds!

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Seems to me that with as much money that is generated by bikers during the week or so of their meets, cities would be welcoming bikers with open arms and just "suffer" through the loud noises, etc. for the short period of time :dontknow:.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Seems to me that with as much money that is generated by bikers during the week or so of their meets, cities would be welcoming bikers with open arms and just "suffer" through the loud noises, etc. for the short period of time :dontknow:.
We are! http://www.wvmountainfest.com/

Expecting 80,000 to 100,000 bikes this year. The national vendors are coming this year.

In my job, I'm also trying to expand weekend motorcycle group meets. So if anyone has a group they want to bring, like Ryan does in Staunton, then I'm your man!:D:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
What a stupid law..... no worries you dont have to wear a helmet that could pontentionally save your skull from being cracked open

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,865 Posts
That's great to hear. I've never attended, but I've got some friends in NC that have not gone the last two years since they started cracking down on the bikers.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I dont get people not wearing helmets. Its saved my ass atleast once and kept rocks and bugs from tearin my face up.

·
Seasoned Member
7,635 Posts
I dont get people not wearing helmets. Its saved my ass atleast once and kept rocks and bugs from tearin my face up.
And some people don't get why we ride motorcycles. They'll say their asses were saved by their cars when they got t-boned.

And some people don't get why we drive cars. They'll say their asses were saved by the bus when it got t-boned by a truck.

Just sayin' bro... :doorag:

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
And some people don't get why we ride motorcycles. They'll say their asses were saved by their cars when they got t-boned.

And some people don't get why we drive cars. They'll say their asses were saved by the bus when it got t-boned by a truck.

Yup Glen it's all relative....my mom and dad rode motorcycles back in the '40's...goggles and soft "rocky the flying squirrel" caps...they did not have cars....they were both full time motorcyclist's....snow, wind and rain. One time when my mom was riding with my dad they had an accident...mom got the worst of it with a broken hand. Now granted....they didn't do 100+ mph back then but you can get killed nearly as well at 50mph without a helmet as 100. I saw my first motorcycle death at 8 years old when an older fella skidded on new blacktop in the summer and hit a telephone pole and broke his neck and although he wasn't wearing a helmet back then in the 50's, I doubt it would have mattered. My job ,in the neighborhood was to run and "fetch" the white sheet from my house to cover the poor bloody devil :eek: Mom wasn't happy about that either :D

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
The city of myrtle beach lost their battle to discriminate against bikers.

http://www.thesunnews.com/2010/06/08/1519935/supreme-court-rules-myrtle-beach.html
Originally Posted by BobbyMac
Seems to me that with as much money that is generated by bikers during the week or so of their meets, cities would be welcoming bikers with open arms and just "suffer" through the loud noises, etc. for the short period of time .

I've been there the last two years (just got back). I have not met one person (retailer/resident) that was for those laws. The retailers were saying that they have lost SO much money the last few years. I don't get it. If the retailers don't make money, neither does the city, i.e. taxes. Glad they are getting it together. I stay in North Myrtle Beach to avoid the BS. Already booked the house for next year.

And Hink is right about being pulled over. Follow that advice.:cop:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Just watch... I know 1st hand how cities get around things like this. Just remember, if you get pulled over, Hands interlaced on your head. Make the police officer comfortable. Don't make any sudden movements. Do as he asks, and tell him what you're doing i.e. reaching for your wallet or getting off bike to retrieve paperwork. Be respectful. They will be pulling over anyone, for anything! They have to recover funds!
:agree:They need to recover their fund's,and make their brownie point's,too!!!!:eek:...They need to leave us bike rider's the H*ll alone!!!...:verymad:...
The ["D*MN IDIOTIC CAGER'S"] should be the one's pulled over!!!,,,,Just for being on their freakin CELL PHONE'S!!!!:swear:
The (PD) IMHO,,,Just don't like the (9)s!!!,,Or many other moyorcycle's for that matter!!!...We are much faster then their (PD),(HD) motorcycle's!!..:a20:... Just out of respect!,,,let the police officer know what you are going to do before making any sudden move!!!...They might shoot your Assz!!!:nojoke:..
A little humor,but so true!!!

Take Care,Ride Safe!!...:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
142 Posts

who cares why people dont get why we ride, we know why we ride. It will save ur ass when u go down. Getting t boned on a motorcycle will be the end of u and thats a rarity in any occasion. A helmet is for that freak spill where ur head bounces off the parking lot pavment. To each their own, more organs for me from people that ride without helmets.

·
Seasoned Member
7,635 Posts
who cares why people dont get why we ride, we know why we ride. It will save ur ass when u go down. Getting t boned on a motorcycle will be the end of u and thats a rarity in any occasion. A helmet is for that freak spill where ur head bounces off the parking lot pavment. To each their own, more organs for me from people that ride without helmets.
And hence my point... as lawmakers throw more and more safety regs at you (or anyone else in any other activity), at some point you realize you're just not having fun anymore so the activity itself is personally deemed no longer worth it (the premise behind this thread in the minds of Myrtle Beach lawmakers). Yes, to each their own... You deem motorcycling safe as long as you're wearing your idea of the proper amount of safety gear. Some deem motorcycling in general not worth the risk. Each of us determines that fine line between risk and safe differently. I personally choose to always wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle. I don't care what anyone else chooses nor do I care what they think of my choices.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I thought this thread was about a victory for bikers who enjoy going to Myrtle Beach for the the bike weeks:bigthumbsup:. And the BS their government tried to pull to keep us away. There are already threads dedicated to who wears or doesn't wear a helmet or what type of helmet we decide to wear.
:dontknow:
:bdh::bdh:

·
Seasoned Member
7,635 Posts
I thought this thread was about a victory for bikers who enjoy going to Myrtle Beach for the the bike weeks:bigthumbsup:. And the BS their government tried to pull to keep us away. There are already threads dedicated to who wears or doesn't wear a helmet or what type of helmet we decide to wear.
:dontknow:
:bdh::bdh:
And how do you think Myrtle Beach succeeded in their demise of Bike Week? Magic? Or passing helmet laws, anti-trailer laws, etc-laws?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And how do you think Myrtle Beach succeeded in their demise of Bike Week? Magic? Or passing helmet laws, anti-trailer laws, etc-laws?
Thats exactly right. They passed multiple laws, not just the helmet law, directly aimed at the big bad bikers. Take the noise one for instance, we have multiple car shows in town every year and those old hot rods can make a bike sound quiet but they NEVER get pulled over for it. the busses and garbage trucks violate the noise ordinance they passed. Even funnier, they switched the MBPD bikes from harleys to hondas cause most of thier own bikes couldn't pass. None of the laws were about safety or any other reason but to drive bikers only away. Sad.

·
Registered
637 Posts
TEXAS HELMET LAW

On June 19, 2009, Governor Rick Perry signed into law
Senate Bill 1967 of the 81st Regular Legislative Session.
This law became effective September 1, 2009 and
repealed the helmet exemption sticker program.

Former law required a person be covered with a minimum of $10,000 in health insurance for injuries incurred in a motorcycle accident to be eligible for an exception for the offense of operating or riding a motorcycle without a helmet. The law removes that minimum amount. The law requires the Texas Department of Insurance to prescribe a standard proof of health insurance for issuance to persons who are at least 21 years of age and covered by an applicable health insurance plan. "Health insurance plan" means an individual, group, blanket, or franchise insurance policy, insurance agreement, evidence of coverage, group hospital services contract, health maintenance organization membership, or employee benefit plan that provides benefits for health care services or for medical or surgical expenses incurred as a result of an accident.
The law prohibits a peace officer from stopping or detaining a person who is the operator of or a passenger on a motorcycle for the sole purpose of determining whether the person has successfully completed a motorcycle operator training and safety course or is covered by a motorcycle health insurance plan and repeals provisions relating to a DPS-issued sticker required to be displayed on a motorcycle by a motorcycle owner.

The Basic and Advanced Motorcycle Operator Training Courses meet the helmet exemption requirement. The Advanced Motorcycle Operator Training Course is recommended for experienced licensed motorcyclists.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
exactly what i was thinking.

and for the record im a big fan of my head, and i dont mind protecting it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts