M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and yes, i did post this on the tech site, but it dont look like too much action is goin on over there and i'd like to do this tomorrow am...so at the risk of getting flamed for not waiting on the other board...here goes..

I have an xm radio (that uses the car type antenna), that i use on my 109..

so, for those that have this radio on their bike ...my question is this..

i am wanting to know if the long length of the cable can be shortened without doing any damage to the reception of the radio... or do you just wrap up all the excess into a loop ..(which i am doing now.)

i am moderately handy with a soldering iron and most likely can cut n reconnect the wires even though they are a very small gauge....

however,  i dont want to ruin my antenna if shortening the cable will cause it to not work properly.

tc

·
Registered
572 Posts
I would just cut and splice it, considering that it is just a signal cable and not length dependent... like an RF antenna would be...

Not 100% sure, but as far as I know, satellite receivers just receive satellite signal.... so no RF, meaning you can cut that long made for cager antenna down to a shorter distance...

Just my 2 cents :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, thats kinda what i was thinkin too bigben.......i'm gonna cut it n see.....

if i mess it up, oh well, ....i got another one..

tc

·
Registered
6 Posts
Careful here. The antennas are set-up so that they are matched impedance with the reciever. You can shorten the cable but it is important to make sure that proper care is taken when re-attaching the cable end connector. Its important that the cable impedance remain matched with the reciever for best reception. Perhaps a local stereo shop has experience with shortening these cables. I would just wrap it up...you never know when you might want to change the antenna location or, dare I say, install it on another machine....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts