M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got any ideas..sometimes when i go to start it you would think the battery is flat as a maggott then all of a sudden it will fire up and idle to fast.

then 5 mins later you could start it up and it would be like starting from a new battery. starts instantly, idles normal no cranking before starting just starts first touch of the button.

this happens random...no set pattern to it.

I have heard of the gipro and JSD making the idle high so i disconnected that and it didnt do it for a week ...then started it this morning no probs...drove up the coast did what i had to then came out to start the bike and thats when it happened again!!!......so i knew it wasnt the gipro jsd doing it.:dontknow::dontknow:

·
Radio Active Member
27,687 Posts
How old is the battery? If you have an 06, you may want to replace it as maintenance. Batteries can do funny things.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have had the same problem since new. Mines an 07. Every once in awhile when im out riding i will stop to get gas and when i go to start it its like it has a delayed start, Not a battery issue for me but not sure why it does it. As far as the high rev on starts make sure when u turn it on u let it cycle through before starting.

·
Registered
769 Posts
same here.. it happens once in a while. Have not idea what causes it. Sometimes it will start just fine and sometimes it will start slow like the battery is kinda dead....

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How old is the battery? If you have an 06, you may want to replace it as maintenance. Batteries can do funny things.
yeah i did think of changing it , but i can let it sit for a week and it will fire up straight away aye.. might throw a new one in and see if it helps.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have had the same problem since new. Mines an 07. Every once in awhile when im out riding i will stop to get gas and when i go to start it its like it has a delayed start, Not a battery issue for me but not sure why it does it. As far as the high rev on starts make sure when u turn it on u let it cycle through before starting.
yep always let it cycle through.

G

·
Check the ground strap conection from the battery to the frame. Many have not had good connections. Sand the paint off, cleand and reassemble with dielectric grease.

·
Registered
445 Posts
yep always let it cycle through.
Scotty.I reckon you may be getting some high resistance there somewhere.Crud in the connectors in the starting circuit is usually a good place to start.Sidestand or clutch interlock can get real filthy as they are exposed to all the insect guts ect when riding.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Same thing here. Seems like it does it on hot days, Been doing it for 3 years.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
My 06 was doing the exact same thing. Ever so often, it would crank and kinda get hung on the compression stroke. Not all the time but just ever so often. The battery just didn't have enough cold cranking amps (CCA) to get her going over the hump. Usually I could stop and try it again and it would start. Idle high for a few moments and then run normally. It would do this even after being on a charger for an hour and showing a full charge on my charger meter! When it would hang, I noticed that my clock would also reset.

So I replaced the old POS, off-brand battery the dealer stuck in there with an Odyssey 535. Problem solved..

Call GMan Industries and get yourself a new battery.. :bigthumbsup:

P.S. I noted that my OEM battery was NOT rated with the correct CCAs for the M109R. It was lower than it should have been. For those having issues on newer bikes, check those batteries and make sure they are correct. Damn dealers skimp when they can...

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
^^ Mine has the compression stroke starting issue occasionally too. Maybe it is time to replace the battery.

Del, what are the recommended CCA for the battery on this bike?

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
it happens to me sometimes but i can hit the button again and its fine.

mine is a 06 with the original battery.

·
Registered
483 Posts
My 06 was doing the exact same thing. Ever so often, it would crank and kinda get hung on the compression stroke. Not all the time but just ever so often. The battery just didn't have enough cold cranking amps (CCA) to get her going over the hump. Usually I could stop and try it again and it would start. Idle high for a few moments and then run normally. It would do this even after being on a charger for an hour and showing a full charge on my charger meter! When it would hang, I noticed that my clock would also reset.

So I replaced the old POS, off-brand battery the dealer stuck in there with an Odyssey 535. Problem solved..

Call GMan Industries and get yourself a new battery.. :bigthumbsup:

P.S. I noted that my OEM battery was NOT rated with the correct CCAs for the M109R. It was lower than it should have been. For those having issues on newer bikes, check those batteries and make sure they are correct. Damn dealers skimp when they can...
I have the same issue after the dealer replaced with a new OEM battery. I only have about 1k miles on the new one, and it does it at least once a week. The OEM batteries are crap and I will be calling GMAN soon.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Scotty its the battery ! I replaced mine and not had an issue yet (6months). I got a crazy deal on a nano gel battery 2 yr warranty. perfect so far !

·
Registered
95 Posts
battery

Before you replace the battery be sure the terminals are tight & clean, especially the negative.

GW

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
It's normal...there has been other threads about it....mine did 3-4 time the first year I had it....not done it since and the battery is still good after nearly 4 years :bigthumbsup:

When it happens turn it off/on run thru the start-up sequence and it will start right up JMO :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
It's the bike

I hate to say it, but mine still does it once in a while even with my new Gman Odyssey battery. It's just when it's hot, and I shut it off for 5-10 minutes. It's like it can't push it through the compression stroke. Yet it always starts the second time I try (after it cycles through all the noises) without fail. My 1500 Intruder, and my buddies Harley did it too. My friend's boat does it too. Big hot motors just don't like to turn over sometimes.

·
Registered
453 Posts
it happens to me sometimes but i can hit the button again and its fine.

mine is a 06 with the original battery.
It's normal...there has been other threads about it....mine did 3-4 time the first year I had it....not done it since and the battery is still good after nearly 4 years :bigthumbsup:

When it happens turn it off/on run thru the start-up sequence and it will start right up JMO :bigthumbsup:
I hate to say it, but mine still does it once in a while even with my new Gman Odyssey battery. It's just when it's hot, and I shut it off for 5-10 minutes. It's like it can't push it through the compression stroke. Yet it always starts the second time I try (after it cycles through all the noises) without fail. My 1500 Intruder, and my buddies Harley did it too. My friend's boat does it too. Big hot motors just don't like to turn over sometimes.
Please! Don't waste your money or put more crap in the environment. Read through the whole post and you'll see the most consistent experiences are; let it run through its key on sequence then start, starts every time the second time and finally, many guys are still running the same battery.

I agree with cbr1000dude completely, this is a big monster of a bike, this happens and I do agree as well that's it's more a result of vapour lock then anything else. Yes, it's very unnerving when you're out riding solo or with buddies, but throwing money at it isn't always the right thing to do.

I've used a battery tender on my 3 bikes every winter and the shortest time I've had a battery last is 4 years.

Follow the ground leads from your battery, tighten where necessary. Let it idle for a 10 - 15 secs before shutting off, let it run through the key on cycle. If it drags on your first start up, turn off key, and just hit it the second time. Bet it will start everytime.
JMHO. :))
Paul

·
Registered
173 Posts
battery

Funny the same thing happens to my brother's '08 busa and it started happening when the battery was almost new. It will run run fine from the house to the gas station (about a mile) then boom; not a click from the starter after pumping your gas! We would dink with it a little and it cranks up in about two or three minutes. Carried it to the dealer and they can't find a thing wrong it. :dontknow: Maybe just a Suzuki issue. I never had this symptom on any other bike.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts