1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1 dead as car hits bike, sets off chain reaction

08:29 AM CDT on Monday, September 18, 2006

By JASON TRAHAN / The Dallas Morning News

Police were looking for a black Mercedes convertible that investigators believe clipped a motorcycle on LBJ Freeway near the High Five interchange early Sunday, setting off a chain reaction that ended in the death of a woman.

Tasha Lumpkin, 23, of Dallas, died at Baylor University Medical Center. Police said that the 24-year-old man she was riding with was in critical condition at Baylor.

When the car hit their bike, it in turn struck a motorcycle driven by a 41-year-old man who was in critical condition at Parkland Memorial Hospital.

Police said the driver of the Mercedes was antagonizing the motorcyclists by speeding up and driving erratically before the collision.

The driver faces charges of failure to stop and render aid. Anyone with information can call the police department's vehicle crimes squad at 214-670-5817.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Charges of failure to stop and render aid, that is BS if there ever was. Sounds like wreckless or intentional homicide with a vehicle...... fry the Motha F*ckers. :edit: :verymad: :verymad:
Now this sounds like the time I would want my concealed carry license and put a round thru this
A Holes head. :verymad: :verymad:
What do some of you police officers on the forum suggest should be done in cases like this? What are the rights of a cycle rider when jerks like this are attempting to cause great bodily harm to you. I know when I was a cop (long time ago... ) I would have thought he was trying to kill me and I would have done unto him the same.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I think people like this need to be tried for Manslaughter at the very least with NO possibility of a plea or lesser sentence. And that tired old "road rage" defense can kiss my :edit: !! Anyone that gets like this behind the wheel of a car needs to have thier car(s) confiscated, thier liscense revoked and spend some time in a correctional facility!

I'll be praying for those in the hospital and the young lady that passed as a result of this :edit: :edit: :edit: :edit: :edit: :swear: :realmad: :cus: individual!

·
Registered
185 Posts
dog man said:
What do some of you police officers on the forum suggest should be done in cases like this? . . .
How about backing off and getting a plate number and calling the Highway Patrol? If you're going to get into a pissing contest with a lunatic in a car . . there's a good chance you lose. :cop:

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Trouble_Is said:
When the car hit their bike...

The driver faces charges of failure to stop and render aid...
What's wrong with this picture?? It says that the car HIT THEM! If so why aren't there charges of hit and run and vehicular homicide or assault with a deadly weapon at least? So it sounds like 2 motorcycles crashed with a total of 3 riders/passengers and one is dead and the other 2 are in critical condition? What's this world coming to? It sounds like we need some Texas justice!!! :realmad: :swear:

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
frankie a. said:
How about backing off and getting a plate number and calling the Highway Patrol? If you're going to get into a pissing contest with a lunatic in a car . . there's a good chance you lose. :cop:
The person who provided this newpaper clipping to me said that apparently the motorcycle passed the car and the person in the car didn't like it. He/She started tailgating the bike... speeding up, slowing down and changing lanes as the rider did. Doesn't seem like the rider had much time to try and shake him/her before he got dumped.

It was bad enough that there was one incident... the poor fella that got clipped by the other bike when it went down was probably just out cruising around, enjoying the nice weather and the wind in his face :doorag: :(

·
Registered
185 Posts
Trouble_Is said:
The person who provided this newpaper clipping to me said that apparently the motorcycle passed the car and the person in the car didn't like it. He/She started tailgating the bike... speeding up, slowing down and changing lanes as the rider did. Doesn't seem like the rider had much time to try and shake him/her before he got dumped.Â

It was bad enough that there was one incident... the poor fella that got clipped by the other bike when it went down was probably just out cruising around, enjoying the nice weather and the wind in his face :doorag:  :(
If that's the case the driver should be charged with manslaughter . . maybe further charges are still pending investigation.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
yeah, the worse part of this is that the laws leave no recourse to cyclists except to take the laws into our own hands. if cars mess with you, and there is no cop there, they won't do a damned thing.

sort of unrelated, but i'm all for charging automobile drivers with more serious crimes if they are responsible for an accident involving a motorcycle. negligant homicide, attempted manslaughter, crimindal negligence, etc should accompany these accidents. unfortunately, that is the only thing that will make them pay more attention on the road.

G

·
phaed said:
yeah, the worse part of this is that the laws leave no recourse to cyclists except to take the laws into our own hands. if cars mess with you, and there is no cop there, they won't do a damned thing.

sort of unrelated, but i'm all for charging automobile drivers with more serious crimes if they are responsible for an accident involving a motorcycle. negligant homicide, attempted manslaughter, crimindal negligence, etc should accompany these accidents. unfortunately, that is the only thing that will make them pay more attention on the road.
yep ... we have little to NO rights on the road, and thats a fact. A guy that works here was killed a few months back. Beautiful day, had some friends over, went to the store to pick up some extra steaks and a drunk cruised into his side of the road and ran him up into the truck's grill and engine. He got next to nothing..like hitting a deer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts