M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know how to say this, but I wrecked on Aug. 7th. Police say I couldn't have been doing more than 20 to 30 mph...but I wrecked just the same. Skid marks on the road at the scene indicate that I locked up both wheels...back first, followed quickly by the front. Me? I don't remember. I don't remember getting outta bed that day, having lunch with my sister, or leaving the restaurant and having the wreck a few minutes later. I don't remember talking to a couple of locals at the restaurant either.

I severely ruptured my spleen (it was removed during surgery) and cracked six ribs as well as getting a bloody nose. No marks anywhere on my head although, stupid me, I wasn't wearing a helmet -- a rarity for me because I'm a stickler for a helmet. I was unconscious for 13 days before regaining consciousness. My daughter was faced with a permanent feeding tube, ventilator tube and nursing home care....at least that's what doctors where telling her the day before I woke up. I guess I heard them talking in intensive care and decided I better wake up!!! :bigthumbsup:

I'm healing up. The spleen surgery scar just likes a bit to finish its skin growth. The ribs only bother me every once in a while. And I finally got all the blood clots outta my sinuses from the bloody nose! LOL -- Oh yeah, sometime during my semi-coma, I pulled out a chest tube. Needless to say, I have new scars ALL OVER my torso.

BUT....I rode my 109 (it wasn't damaged much at all) on Friday and had a blast!!! Leaned into the curves and felt the wind on my face. Did hit a major pothole in the shadows that I didn't see and it bounced me off the seat nearly into a straight standup position on the pegs and scared the heck outta of me....but it was GREAT!

Love this site and wanna tell you guys to be cool. Just wish I knew what the hell I was dodging and caused me to put on both breaks at the same time! ::)

G

·
I'm very glad your doing better how is your daughter doing? Wow only 20-30mph, ummm ok you've convinced me I'm going to ware my full face helmet and all my gear wherever I go :eek: Keep it safe :D

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
glad you were ok and that you felt ok about getting back on the bike. I know lots of people that have one wreck and that's it they hang it up. I think it's ok if someone decides that but I would think they should go slowly about that decision and really think it through and for heavens sake let the decision be your own not someone elses. I have only had to get offs in over 34 years of riding and both times it was not my fault but I learned to not let my guard down. My dad made the decision to stop riding several years back and now to stop driving cars but at least he knows his limitations and he also knew that with his health and medication it was probably a smart thing to do. He turned 74 this year and still gets excited and asks lots of questions about my bike when I pull up, true bike rider at heart.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Wow, glad you are doing better and hope your daughter is improving.... trauma/fear induced amnesia may be good it cuts down on nighmares. There weren't any witnesses around? :eek:

G

·
Glad to hear you are still with us. What a story. It is amazing that all that could happen at that low speed, but the great thing is that you are on the mend. Wear that gear bro and I hope you heal up 110%. Be well.

G

·
Luckyone6000 said:
Just wish I knew what the hell I was dodging and caused me to put on both breaks at the same time!  ::)
That's an amazing story and I am happy you came out on well...

Maybe you were trying to dodge or not hit some kind of animal (dog, cat, or other) and it explains why there was noone left to tell the story, but you amnesia ridden head...
:dontknow:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No....no witnesses. My best guess was it was one of a couple REALLY big dogs that roam that area or some small kids that play around the little curve where I wrecked that I was dodging...who knows.

And I agree about the amnesia comments here....don't mind it a bit....don't remember initial pain, helicopter ride, surgery, recovery, first 13 days in the hospital (but I was unconscious then) and was already healing some and in more of human condition.

AND I WILL CONTINUE TO RIDE MY BROTHERS!!! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I think some people are a bit confused. Your daughter wasn't injured as well, was she? When you said "My daughter was faced with a permanent feeding tube, ventilator tube and nursing home care....at least that's what doctors where telling her the day before I woke up" it sounds like you were saying she was also injured, but she was actually going to be faced with having those things done FOR YOU, right? I assume you're not married and your daughter would have been your long time caregiver if needed?

Anyway, just thought someone should clear that up as I was confused a bit at first too. Glad to hear that you pulled through and are getting back to riding. Take care and wear your helmet from now on! ;) :doorag:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Blackcherry, you're absolutely correct. I should have been more clear. She is my only biologica child and as I'm a widower she had the decisions to make had doctors told her it was time to make them. I didn't catch the confusion when I was reading the other posts.

Thanks bro! :D

·
Registered
844 Posts
This may sound like "I told you so" (which it isn't) -- but statistics show that the MOST common place for a motorcycle wreck is within' just a few miles (less than 5, I believe) from where it started.

So, if you're gonna wear a helmet, you've got to put it on every time you head out (if you want it to do its job).

Also, it has been shown repeatedly that the actual impact speed in the vast majority of MC crashes (after braking by one or both vehicles) IS less than 30 mph.

Bottom line: your spleen would still be busted, but you probabbly would have sustained no significant head or face injury with a simple DOT-certified full face helmet. It's a lesson for all of us.

Glad you're O.K.

·
Registered
890 Posts
:yikes:

I hate reading about anyone going down...that said, I like it when the outcome is good, the is a case of the latter. I'm glad you're back in the saddle...like Fire Cat said...keep it safe....glad it wasn't worse.

Devilish

·
Registered
775 Posts
you're hard-core, bro; i respect that. after my last "big one" i didn't ride for over a year.
glad you're still here and telling the story with inspiration.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had a buddy that I work with that crashed while riding his new bike around the block just after it was delivered...Experienced rider who had a brain cramp...Slick new tires got him..No helmet...smacked his melon on the ground hard enough that it made one of his eyes partialy pop out of sockit...That was a few years ago and he made a full recovery....I wear my helmet any time I got the thing moving....Glad to hear you are doing fine...Bet sneazing is a whole lot of fun...

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Guys, it takes nowhere near 20 to 30 MPH to cause serious head injury. Just this last April (I think) at the 'big' dragrace in Rockingham, NC, we picked up a guy that was standing up on the back of a golf cart, holding on with one hand. The golf card made a sudden turn which swung the guy to the outer side and he was unable to hold on (too many beers). He fell off and sustained a major head injury. Last I heard he was on life support and not expected to live. Unfortunately, due to HIPPA laws, we are unable to follow up with these types of patients after they get transferred to another hospital. I also heard about a very similar case just in the past week or so. Don't remember if it was on the news, or just local, but somebody else fell off a golf cart and hit his head. He later died from his head injury. Granted, these are not incidences in which a helmet would be worn. I just wanted to give examples of how very serious or fatal head injuries can happen at very low speeds. Wear your lids.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts