M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used swingarm and have modified it for a 300. I made an end cap for each end of the axle tube, found the center, drilled a hole for a bolt--made a fake axle from some 1" stock and attached to one of the end caps, inserted it into the axle tube and bolted to the other end cap. I got a local fabricator to weld up the notches that I made. He was able to just lay the plate against the fake driveshaft and weld it up, as the 1" round stock is a little larger than the real axle.
I didn't want to cut the swingarm while it was on the bike, so this is what I came up with.
I modified the fender pan --flattened the ridges on one side--I couldn't figure out if it was one or both sides. If someone knows, please respond :). I removed some metal in the front like the guy from Tiawan showed in his pics.
I have a 10" wheel and Avon tire mounted and am planning on starting on disassembly tomorrow. It may take me a while--I'm slow. I have some
2 3/4 bones to install--do you think they will work with the 300 tire?
Thanks to everybody that has posted info about this mod!!
Anything you can think of that I forgot, let me know.
dw

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
looking good bro, ive done the exact same thing on one of my builds, im glad i did it, but i wouldnt do it again, its a lot of work, im sticking with a 280 from know on!:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
as far as the lowering bones its gonna depend on how well your fender well has been modded.... I had 2.25 bones on mine with a 300 metzler and rode two up and it rubbed the inner fender so went back to stock bones till I can get air ride but then once I did that, the exhaust bracket ended up hitting the singarm so had to shim that bracket out so it would clear the swingarm... but then again I have the DLP swingarm... Inner fender will need all the work and the spacing of the rim between the swingarm....... good luck

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I think I will put the 10"wheel, 300 tire, and fender on, leave the shock unhooked, and raise it up into the fender to check the clearance.
Am I going to have to remove the exhaust?
Looks pretty crowded in there.
I just removed the covers and the fender and it looks like it would be a lot easier with the exhaust off?

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
u gotta take it all off bro...... and grind and weld the inner fender to fit the 300..... grind down all the bolts as well so they done tear up your tire....

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Takes longer than I thought

Got the wheel off, and cush drive changed over to the new wheel. Everything is loose on the swingarm except I can't break the shaft loose that holds on the swingarm. I used a 19mm bolt with two nuts but it won't budge the shaft without turning both nuts. Maybe I will weld on the nuts--that should keep them from turning :dontknow:.
Gotta loosen the exhaust next.
Good thing it's cold, I wouldn't have the patience to do this if it was nice out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts