M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read here that some guys feel like they can do stoppies and endos and things because their brakes feel so strong. Not mine. Mine feel like the pads are made of wood. Wondering if I'm not getting a good enough handful or maye the pad material is just made to last longer so it may be a harder compound. Whatever the reason my initial bite doesn't seem to be what everyone is raving about on here. Was I supposed to bed them in a cetain way? Ideas??

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I thought mine felt verry good/strong when I first started riding my 109. I have Approximately 400 miles (All in city) and my brakes feel different. That is, I have to depress the front brake farther than I used to to get the same amount of force. I wonder if the brake hose material has expanded or is more flexable than when new???

·
Registered
178 Posts
Maybe they need to be bedded? brand new brakes always feel lousy until they are bedded. Maybe your rotors are glazed...

something's wrong

-Chad

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used to roadrace and we used to have to bed them in, but I didn't think with a cruiser it would matter much. It definitely isn't the hoses expanding. If it were, the lever would come in more and feel a little spongy. It's just that they feel rock hard and have no good initial bite. I may try scotch brite on the rotors and switch out the pads and bed them in like we used to at the track.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I use them coming into corners all the time and I come just short of locking them up. I agree your brakes should be better.
Check your fluid level in the sight glass if you haven't. Consider changing the position of the front brake lever to allow you better compression of it. I assume your pads are fine as I have about 5,000 miles on mine and they're still in good shape.
Jer

·
Registered
721 Posts
My Burple Monster has almost 400 miles.
Brakes have been perfect!! Ditto on checking the fluid level.

BTW.... Hello everyone !!!!!!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No problem with lever travel. I don't believe it's a fluid issue at all. I know when brakes should be bled or how they would feel if they were low on fluid. There is plenty of travel and no mushiness whatsoever. Actually I would like a little MORE sponginess. They feel very hard and seem to grab at the right time. The lever is not coming way back or anything, it's just not slowing the bike down like everyone says it should. Almost like a car when the booster is on the blink.

·
Registered
721 Posts
slowpoke387 said:
No problem with lever travel. I don't believe it's a fluid issue at all. I know when brakes should be bled or how they would feel if they were low on fluid. There is plenty of travel and no mushiness whatsoever. Actually I would like a little MORE sponginess. They feel very hard and seem to grab at the right time. The lever is not coming way back or anything, it's just not slowing the bike down like everyone says it should. Almost like a car when the booster is on the blink.
With all this said.... Clean your rotors and pads. It's the next and cheapest troubleshooting step IMO

1 - 11 of 11 Posts