M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I created the mod to get rid of top speed limit and ignition retard . So I have been dying to prove the only part of the mod that I have not been able to tell you was a 100% fix was the top speed. Today I went to the Indianapolis 500 carb day on bikes with friends. On the way home we had a few open highways to were I had a chance to open it up for maybe 1/2 mile. On 2 different times I was able to bury the needle to its stop which at a guess looks like about 160 or so indicated. Even at that the bike was still increasing in speed . I am used to doing this on a GSXR 1000 AND I GOT TO TELL YOU WITH THE 8% SPEEDO ERROR AND MY BEST GUESS THIS BIKE WILL EASILY GO INTO THE 150 + MPH RANGE . PS BE CAREFULL MY BIKE AT THOSE SPEEDS STARTED SLOWLY WORKING TORWARDS A TANK SLAPPER , If you plan on going up there plant your butt and take both hands and push firmly forward on both grips to lock the steering. If it starts GYRATING ( aircraft term because tires act like a gyro) Don't panic and back out of gas really fast , SLOWLY BACK OUT WHILE PUSHING FORWARD.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Thanks for the good news and the warning. Do you think a steering stabilizer might be a good idea for those with the need for speed?
Jerbear

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jerbear said:
Thanks for the good news and the warning. Do you think a steering stabilizer might be a good idea for those with the need for speed?
Jerbear
Yes I would highly recommend this . If you are novice this could be reaaly bad without one HMMMMM Do you think SUZUKI had a good intention this time to limit top speed.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I don't expect to spend a lot of time at the top, so to speak.
I'm normally willling to back off after the contest is won.
Thanks again for your work.
Jerbear

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jerbear said:
Thanks for the good news and the warning. Do you think a steering stabilizer might be a good idea for those with the need for speed?
Jerbear
Don't get me wrong you can ride it at those speeds , I just think with that big back tire it becomes a strong GYRO and becomes over powering to the bike to were small corrections at low speed are OK ,But high speed requires a lot of effort to control this bike at high speed.

·
Registered
343 Posts
maniac m109r said:
I created the mod to get rid of top speed limit and ignition retard . So I have been dying to prove the only part of the mod that I have not been able to tell you was a 100% fix was the top speed. Today I went to the Indianapolis 500 carb day on bikes with friends. On the way home we had a few open highways to were I had a chance to open it up for maybe 1/2 mile. On 2 different times I was able to bury the needle to its stop which at a guess looks like about 160 or so indicated. Even at that the bike was still increasing in speed . I am used to doing this on a GSXR 1000 AND I GOT TO TELL YOU WITH THE 8% SPEEDO ERROR AND MY BEST GUESS THIS BIKE WILL EASILY GO INTO THE 150 + MPH RANGE .  PS BE CAREFULL MY BIKE AT THOSE SPEEDS STARTED SLOWLY WORKING TORWARDS A TANK SLAPPER , If you plan on going up there plant your butt and take both hands and push firmly forward on both grips to lock the steering. If it starts GYRATING ( aircraft term because tires act like a gyro) Don't panic and back out of gas really fast , SLOWLY BACK OUT WHILE PUSHING FORWARD.
HUH, he said RETARD. :D
www.hellrisercustoms.com/oychoppa

·
Registered
133 Posts
150+ top speeds? wont happen with just getting rid of the limiter. right now stock the M109r will acheive 127-130verified GPS(so i have heard). to reach attainable speeds over 150, you WILL have to put in hotter cams and pistons, bump motor to atleast 117 c.i. and rework the gearing, witch will be hard to do but not imposible, with our driveshaft. A higher gear ratio will have to be manditory to achive that. not to mention that our beloved M109 has pretty much the areodynamics of a Brick.....so getting up to 150 is possible but unlikely, and if in fact you get up to 150 you will definitly feel it on the low end. there will be a comprimise somewhere, do you want it on the top or the bottom? besides if you reach the 150's, i hope to see you on the Bonneville salt flats, cause i believe a record would be in order........also with the 8% speedo error, that number increases exponentially the faster you go. let me reinterate, i am sure it is possible, but words alone will not prove it. video of the GPS or Slat flat times will be about all that will set most on heres minds at ease.

·
Registered
525 Posts
SLOPOKE said:
150+ top speeds? wont happen with just getting rid of the limiter. right now stock the M109r will acheive 127-130verified GPS(so i have heard). to reach attainable speeds over 150, you WILL have to put in hotter cams and pistons, bump motor to atleast 117 c.i. and rework the gearing, witch will be hard to do but not imposible, with our driveshaft. A higher gear ratio will have to be manditory to achive that. not to mention that our beloved M109 has pretty much the areodynamics of a Brick.....so getting up to 150 is possible but unlikely, and if in fact you get up to 150 you will definitly feel it on the low end. there will be a comprimise somewhere, do you want it on the top or the bottom? besides if you reach the 150's, i hope to see you on the Bonneville salt flats, cause i believe a record would be in order........also with the 8% speedo error, that number increases exponentially the faster you go. let me reinterate, i am sure it is possible, but words alone will not prove it. video of the GPS or Slat flat times will be about all that will set most on heres minds at ease.
If the top speed in your words is 127-130 stock, what do you think the top speed is WITHOUT the top speed limiter? ::)

·
Registered
133 Posts
practically, 3-5 miles an hour, there is a reason the Rev Limiter is were it is, when the revlimiter hits, the bike is already on a downward spiral of HP and torque, and to be honest with the tolerance Suzuki puts on its Limiter, and with the availablility of Powercomanders or the Cobra set up,that you can get a 500rpm increase over the Rev. Witch you will notice drastically improves the low end but hardly any noticable change on the top end. Guess my point is, if oyu want to get rid of your limiter, go for it, BUT it is there for a reason and you wont see a 10-15 mile an hour increase, that is really a big load of Hogwash. if folks want to try it knock themselves out. how much does a replacement motor cost? 5K? sorry i dont want to take that chance with my beauty. especially since Suzuki doesnt offer replacement motors at this time.

300CREW said:
If the top speed in your words is 127-130 stock, what do you think the top speed is WITHOUT the top speed limiter? ::)

G

·
SLOPOKE said:
there is a reason the Rev Limiter is were it is, when the revlimiter hits, the bike is already on a downward spiral of HP and torque, and to betime.
So,,why does the rev limiter go to 7400,where it pulls very easy,,but in fifth only to 6200?it will pull past that 6200 if allowed to...if the rev limiter was as you stated on a downward spiral,,it would be 6200 in every gear....

·
Registered
133 Posts
Not true, is all i the gearing. now i am not a bike mechanic so i dont have the answer, but you know as well as i that 4th gear is a heck of alot stronger than 5th, Heck the bike is even dynoed in 4th for optimum HP. 5th is more of the cruising gear and yes it is still pulling when the limiter hits, but not really that strong, go get your bike dynoed in 5th gear and see how the arc drastically takes a nose dive before the limiter. I would love to see 150+ speeds, but i dont believe that it will be reached by just removing the limiter. there are to many factors that come into play, drag coeficients, gearing, weight, and the awsome 240 witch displaces ALOT of weight at higher speeds. the BEST way to reach that speed without damaging the motor is putting in a taller 5th gear along with extensive motor work. for some past history, i also own a Warrior, off the showroom floor gps verified 132 mph, 5 faster than the M109, with a 110 kit, hot pistons, cams, racing exhaust, VBAK system, and taller 5th gearing, powercomander witch ups the redline by 500, the bike only tops out at an estimated 148 to 150(to chicken to go that fast). point being just loosing the revlimiter wont do it. there will have to be many other steps taken to reach that speed on our M109. wished it were possible, and await what maniac comes up with, but will not hold my breath.

traysvega said:
So,,why does the rev limiter go to 7400,where it pulls very easy,,but in fifth only to 6200?it will pull past that 6200 if allowed to...if the rev limiter was as you stated on a downward spiral,,it would be 6200 in every gear....

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SLOPOKE said:
YOU ARE WRONG THE ONLY REASON THE TOP SPEED YOU SPEAK OF IS WITH ALL BIKES WITH THE TOP SPEED LIMITER STILL INTSALLED. TRUST ME THIS BIKE WILL GO 150 WITH THE TOP SPEED LIMITER REMOVED , I RIDE WITH SPORT BIKES ALL THE TIME AND THEY WOULD TEEL YOU THE SAME.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SLOPOKE said:
practically, 3-5 miles an hour, there is a reason the Rev Limiter is were it is, when the revlimiter hits, the bike is already on a downward spiral of HP and torque, and to be honest with the tolerance Suzuki puts on its Limiter, and with the availablility of Powercomanders or the Cobra set up,that you can get a 500rpm increase over the Rev. Witch you will notice drastically improves the low end but hardly any noticable change on the top end. Guess my point is, if oyu want to get rid of your limiter, go for it, BUT it is there for a reason and you wont see a 10-15 mile an hour increase, that is really a big load of Hogwash. if folks want to try it knock themselves out. how much does a replacement motor cost? 5K? sorry i dont want to take that chance with my beauty. especially since Suzuki doesnt offer replacement motors at this time.
IF YOU DOUGHT IT DO THE MOD AND GO TOP IT OUT LIKE I DID INSTEAD OF WRITING THINGS YOU DONT NO ABOUT .

·
Registered
133 Posts
Like i said earlier, PROVE IT. make me eat my words, but please dont spout off about "riding with sport bikes" i have had one of those as well for 10 years, and the M109 definitly isnt in the same catagory. Just back up what you say with proof, and not words, cold hard proof, video, gps, time slips. if in deed you achive 150+gps verified speeds, i will be next in line to do the mod.

maniac m109r said:
YOU ARE WRONGÂ Â Â THE ONLY REASONÂ Â THE TOP SPEED YOU SPEAK OF IS WITH ALL BIKES WITH THE TOP SPEED LIMITER STILL INTSALLED. TRUST ME THIS BIKE WILL GO 150 WITH THE TOP SPEED LIMITER REMOVED , I RIDE WITH SPORT BIKES ALL THE TIME AND THEY WOULD TEEL YOU THE SAME.

·
Registered
525 Posts
J R said:
OK Ok I went and tested my bike heres the results :p Ran outta road I think she had more in her :redfaced: :p

Interesting :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Wow, testy are we, this is a Technical section. Sure the bike will go faster, and that is awsome, if it helps all of us great! to be honest, i am sure alot of people really want to know some results and to see if in the end it is worth it, again it just seams kinda outlandish to say you can do one mod and gain 20+mph. when you have a forum open to alot of people with the same goal and the same hobbies it is not wise to throw numbers around and not have anything to back it up, especially with the huge numbers that are and probably about to join this forum.......

·
Registered
126 Posts
All I can say is, I had a nice stretch of road, no cross wind, and I hit 130 with a stock 109. Go to love Nevada for it open roads. Since I am a new rider, I backed off. 130 mph at 6k RPM. :D :yikes:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts