M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple of questions...I have them in and wired to a switch that came with teh LEDS ( look awesome by the way)...I am curious how to attach them to the accesory function on our ignitions...also if they ae on that accessory function will they be on anytime that the bike is one? I cant have them on while I am riding here in PA..already pulled over for it once!! Darn POPO...
Anybody who knows where to get into the accessory function, and which wires I hook to it please let me know, also if you know if it will run all the time or just when turned to accessory..

BY the way put on the fender eliminator from Directline, and some LED's for the plate lights...looks sick at night...def. suggest it if you are thinking about it...
Thanks folks

G

·
Since you have a switch, I would run them right to the battery. Put an in line fuse on the hot side. Just have to make sure that you turn them off when the bike is off. One other option, and i know that alot of guys don't agree with me on this one, but you can put an accessory fuse block on the bike. It will fit where the tool pouch goes. Many have a relay on them and allow up to 3-5 accessories. Anything hooked up to them comes on when the bike is turned on and goes off when the bike is turned off. Is is fused and has a relay so everything on that circuit is protected. If you have multiple items it is nice because you only have one line going to your battery. JMO

If you want more info, PM me and i will shoot you some links.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am curious about running the ot lead on my LEDs to the accessory function that is already in our ignition systems. I just dont know where to access the proper wire. I am also curious if it woul dthen be on all the time that the bike is on...or if it would only come on when turned to acc on the ignition switch...any help would be great

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Mach2mz, Question? are these LED's for show lighting, highlighting the engine and wheel wells? If so and with the obvious already stated that you cant have them on while riding i would do and have done as suggested by Bruno and have them wired to the battery so that you can have them on without having the accessories on. I have LED's wired under my tank, front and rear wheel wells and have recently added strobes to the engine area on a separate switch and it looks Bad Azz. Best of all because they is a very low draw i can leave them on for hours without draining my battery. I always have a crowd of admirers when i come back to the bike.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They really are just for show...I guess I am ok with teh setup I have, because I cant have them on all the time. Where do you mount your swicthes? I have mine under the seat, but it is annoying opening the seat to turn them on every time ya know!!!! Thanks

G

·
Mounting of the switch, depending on the type of switch could go in a multitude of places. I for one, would want it somewhere easily accessible, but somewhere that would not take away from the slick looks of the bike. If it is a push button type switch, you could mount it on the vertical side of the tank chrome trim cover and bury the wires under the cover. You could get a handlebar mounted switch as another option.

G

·
I assume that these are for decorative use?? If so...why would you want to hook these to the accsesory lights of the bike....you dont want these on all the time!! Like you said...you already got yanked over because of them!! Hook them straight off the battery and mount a weather proof toggle switch somewhere so they can be turned on/off when YOU want them on/off!! There are all kind of places to put a little toggle switch on this bike!!

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
mach2mz said:
I am curious about running the ot lead on my LEDs to the accessory function that is already in our ignition systems. I just dont know where to access the proper wire. I am also curious if it woul dthen be on all the time that the bike is on...or if it would only come on when turned to acc on the ignition switch...any help would be great
Why not just install a switch and hook them directly to the battery? That way, you don't have to have the headlight and running lights on when showing the LEDs. Just switch them on and off when you want. That's a sucky law that says you cannot run with them on. Anybody know if this is all states, or just certain ones? I'm pretty sure Myrtle Beach won't allow them, but I'm not sure about NC where I live. I've never seen anybody stopped for ground effect lights under their cars in NC, but maybe bikes are different. Still a stupid law. Anything that makes the bike more visible should be allowed without question.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey Medic, a friend of mine has blue lights on his v-rod and he asked  :cop: what the law was.   :cop: said you can run with the lights on as long as they don't blink or flash. We have past plenty  :cop: :cop: :cop: in and around Charlotte with lights on and have had no trouble. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
spete-o said:
Hey Medic, a friend of mine has blue lights on his v-rod and he asked :cop: what the law was.  :cop: said you can run with the lights on as long as they don't blink or flash. We have past plenty :cop: :cop: :cop: in and around Charlotte with lights on and have had no trouble. :bigthumbsup:
Thanks man. I really want a set on my 109, but I would hate to get ticketed for it. I doubt I would get one in my hometown since most of them know me through my line of work, but ya never know. Could get a rookie that doesn't know me...

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Medic, here in Michigan it is illegal to run with decorative lights such as ground effects but in my experience the cops here really dont mess with you unless they are flashing. I have both Leds and strobes on my 109 set on 2 different switches straight off the battery so i can run either , both or none, great setup. I also did a quick fab job on a plastic switch mount plate that i mounted on the same screw that holds the ignition switch. It easy to reach and doesnt take from the looks of the bike because the switches are black

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok this is me very first post so here we go :p...I live in Oklahoma and have just bought the M109R. I love the bike (as well as this website) and want to show the bike off with some LEDs. I have checked with the police here and as long as they are not flashing and not red or blue then they are ok. My question to this board is what kind of LEDs are you using and where are you putting them?

Thanks in advance for all your great ideas :bigthumbsup:
Arron

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
cwolf- where you at? i'm in Broken Arrow.

yeah the cops always told us that you can't have blue neon or whatever because it looks like emergency vehicle lights

·
Registered
160 Posts
I rode past the police tonight with my purple LEDs with no problem. Mine were setup on a remote control key fob. I got them at the Carlisle bike show a few weeks ago. The outfir was out of Winston Salem, NC. If I can find the info I will post tommorrow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
BlkM109R... I live in Purcell and work in Norman.

I just left your site after admiring all of your shirts. I am definitely going to order some (like 12).

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
I don't know where all the other 109 riders are around here, there are a few from OKC area and one from lawton on the board, but i seem to be the only one from the Tulsa area. i know they've sold a bunch of bikes around here, but I've still never seen another, except at the dealer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts