M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
I was about to post the same question. Let me try and detail the issue further.

I too just put my side-mount license plate bracket on. Mine is the one for from Lamont's store and it has 3 wires (Red, Blue and Black). The frame appears to have both a license white lamp as well as possibly an auxillary brake light. I disconnected my previous license plate frame light but it only had 2 wires. I am assuming these are for the white light lead(s). Now I can see the brake light wires but there are several there. I am assuming one of the two wires coming from the old license plate light is a common ground and the other is the hot wire. I am also assuming all I need from the brake light wires is the hot wire there as well and I can use the other ground.

Thanks,

-Tim

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tim, I put the mount on but did not tie in the wires yet. I believe the mount itself is your ground when bolted to the frame. I was looking to see if anyone had any insight as to the color of the hot leads for the brake light and plate light. I am going to wire it up this week and I guess I'll just break out my test light.....Thanks

·
Registered
291 Posts
Lostrider, thanks, please let me know if you figure it out. In the meantime I might have to do some disassembly of the plate mount to figure out the wiring scheme. I was a bit surprised for the price that it didn't at least include some sort of directions or at least a schematic on how to wire it up. I have a service manual so if someone could at least tell me what color does what, I can probably figure out where the correct wire is on the bike to tie into.

-Tim

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yes please let me know as well. I purchased the same side mount that sixshooter has curved plate with red light at top and I'm waitting for his custom bracket to arrive to start this project. I'd love to know how to hook up the wires. Can someone please post. Sixshooter I may be giving you a call soon.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I bought a side mount license plate and wired it up the other day.

I looking through my pic's right now trying to see if I took any shots with the wires labeled. The black is ground, that's a given. I "think" the red is the running lights and the blue wire is the brake light. An easy way to test this is by taking the side mount plate and touching the black wire to the negative terminal of the battery and the red or blue wire to the positive terminal of the battery. I used an electronics fixed 12 volt power source but the battery will be just as easy.

For the running lights, I used the existing license plate light wires from factory and ran the wire down to the side mount plate. I also tapped into the brake light harness for the side mount brake light. A set of small electrical jumper wires will make it easy to find out which wire you need to splice into. Hint - use the jumpers and battery to find out what pin in the brake light plug activates the brake light. Hope that helps...

Feel free to email me if you have any questions - [email protected]

Here are some pic's of the finished product.
http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&id=1103266&pid=2084315

http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&id=1103266&pid=2084262

http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&id=1103266&pid=2089431

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
completed install on Friday of LED plate mount and Kury silver bullets into strut mounts for rear signals....everything working great and it looks nice....cut off all that plastic crap in back to expose the fatty tire....love it thanks for the info

·
Registered
291 Posts
Okay, I completed the wiring today and in a nutshell, here is the deal.

Red=running light hot - connect to gray wire from old license plate light.
Black=common ground, connect to black-white wire from old license plate light.
Blue=brake light hot, connect to white-black wire on molex of tail light.

I have pictures of my install and will post with details later tonight or tomorrow.

I blew a fuse during my attemp, think I accidentally crossed two of the wires but it was well worth it, works perfectly now.

-Tim

*** Update **** Here are Pictures with Steps I took****
Note: I am no genius electrician so remember this is coming from a novice...
Look my mod works great so if you have constructive criticism then please send it but don't PM me to tell me
that I did it all wrong or anything like that because it works great and I am very satisfied with my work and that
is what is important to me. Also, please note that the wire colors I used in between my license plate mount and
my bike wiring, I decided to change the scheme a little and use black for ground, green for hot running lights and
red for hot brake lights so pictures reflect these changes.
Step 1

Cut the old license plate light from under the rear wheel well. Feed the wire back up through the hole located
at the top right of this picture. These two wires will give you a common ground and a hot lead for your
running light/license plate light. I connected these to a male molex I bought at Radio Shack. From this wire
pair gray is hot running light lead and will go to red wire on license plate mount. Black-white wire is ground and
will go to the black wire on the license plate mount.

Step 2

Now we need to tap into the hot brake light lead. I decided to tap in at the tail light molex on the bike side.
Find the White-Black wire. If you are looking at the tail light molex and have two connectors above one connector
then the left top is the running light lead (gray), the right is the brake light lead (White-Black) and the bottom
center wire is the ground. I ran this wire back to my molex as pictured in the next step.

Step 3

All wires are in place, connect Molex to run up from side mount plate and test. Mine worked great on first try.
NOTE: I blew a fuse when screwing around - was like 3rd fuse in from right side of bike, a 15amp (blue) fuse.
So be careful not to have the key on or cross any wires when you do turn it on.

Step 4

Tape off connection to tail light molex, add cable ties to keep things neat and tidy.

Step 5

Secure new molex with cable ties, move out of way so it doesn't get crushed by seat.

Step 6

Double check fasteners, cable ties along fender and tuck all wires down in to secure them.

Step 7

Secure cable running up from license plate frame. This isn't the best picture but it's my wires with shrink wrap
tubing around them secured to my $40 drive-shaft mount bracket using two cable ties (you can see I hadn't
cut them yet). I used some black electrical tape to secure it to drive shaft but will go back and use another
method once I figure something out.

Step 8

You will probably want to remove old license plate holder, I am leaving mine on for now until I figure out
what i'm doing with my turn signals.

Good luck, PM me if you have any questions!

-Tim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts