M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
   I have been riding for 30 years and have never winterized a bike.  Mostly because the bike never sat more than a couple of months at a time.   But I broke my foot two months ago and and will most likely not ride for at least a couple more months.  :dontknow:

Should I go ahead and winterize at this point?  Will 4 months of sitting cause damage?   I keep my 109 is a temp controlled area if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Redman,

Since your bike is in cilmate controlled area here is what I would do. I would give it a good washing and waxing. I would change the oil with a regular 10w-40 conventional oil, fill the gas tank and add Stabil. Put a motorcycle trickle battery charger on it and lastly if you have a motorcycle lift like the one that Sears sells. I would put it onthe lift to get the tires off the ground. Oh... don't forget to put a warm blanket on, to keep her comfy until you ride her again.

C-One

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
WHOA....
remember to run the bike till fully warm AFTER adding the stabil or only the tank will be protected. Elsewhere it could still gum up.
If possible I would also run it till fully warm every 3 weeks or so. This step can only help when it comes time to ride again.

The fully warmed up is important because if you only warm it a little... and other parts are not warm it can cause condensation in places you wish there were none.

Sledzep

·
Registered
443 Posts
Or, you could send her my way. I'll keep juices flowing! :joke: :bigthumbsup: Nothing wrong with having 3 bikes in the garage to choose from. :joke:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
and add Stabil
i recommend this as well. i put this stuff in my jeep before i went to iraq for a year. when i came back, i hooked the battery cable back up, and it started right up.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Texas Winterize List:
Gloves
Jacket

I guess there's some advantage for taking 2 months of blistering heat.. I never lived outside of the Houston area and only been in the freezing cold days at a time. I forget that up North the winters get really cold for a Long time...

·
Registered
164 Posts
ConnRadd said:
Texas Winterize List:
Gloves
Jacket

I guess there's some advantage for taking 2 months of blistering heat.. I never lived outside of the Houston area and only been in the freezing cold days at a time. I forget that up North the winters get really cold for a Long time...
Texas list:
Gloves
Jacket
Heated Corbin seat

1 - 9 of 9 Posts