·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any good ideas on winterizing their "9's" :doorag:

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Change your oil, sta-bil in the FULL tank of gas. Wash, wax and cover. Not a bad idea to put a rag up the exhaust pipe before you cover it. Pull the battery and or put on a trickle charger also.

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
Change your oil, sta-bil in the FULL tank of gas. Wash, wax and cover. Not a bad idea to put a rag up the exhaust pipe before you cover it. Pull the battery and or put on a trickle charger also.
:agree: also I put my bike on 2 inch wood platforms to keep it off the cold concrete. 34 threads pop up when you search under Winterize also. Or you can ride it from time to time in the winter also.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Anyone have any good ideas on winterizing their "9's" :doorag:
Yes, buy better gloves and keep riding. Also, do not pass snow plows on the right...very bad.:redfaced:

BTW, how cold could it possibly get in Kentucky?

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Got my heated gloves today. I will ride everyday I can, as long as no snow, ice or 17 below, That might keep me home LOL, I am insulating a stick built shop here and will make it my winter bed for my nine. Putting in 220 heat to keep er warm..

·
Registered
147 Posts
interesting

Im interested in this thread,i usually park my bike up end of October till May time,it does get cold here in the UK but thats not the real issue,The local authorities put down Rock salt and jeez this [email protected] eats your chrome,your alloy,and pretty much anything else.So the bike stays off the road.Damp is also a problem and my beast lives a couple of miles from my house,this is my first year with the 9,but with my previous bikes i tend to coat them in ACF50 which is apparently what your navy guys use to coat the machinery on the Aircraft carriers to prevent Rust,and i gotta say its cool stuff,coats the metal to protect it but also kills any rust or corrosion already present.My only worry is iv not had a bike with this amount of blingy chrome so im not sure if this stuff is ok to leave on the shiny bits,dont want to raise the garage door come spring and find a pile of scrap lol............

·
Registered
692 Posts
winter!! Blah!!

When I put mine away I park it on a big rug I got from the carpet place out of there bin, it was left overs and FREE! anyways I park it on there, I do change the oil in it and thats it...I dont even put a battery charger on it but then again it is a heated garage...I might start it a few times but its cause normally I am working on it over the winter doing mods...I am 42 and have had bikes since I was 4 yrs old and never once done anything with my battery or actually oil changes either...I guess its just the way I roll.... bought a nice cover for it this year I usually just used old blankets to cover it...good luck!!

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Im interested in this thread,i usually park my bike up end of October till May time,it does get cold here in the UK but thats not the real issue,The local authorities put down Rock salt and jeez this [email protected] eats your chrome,your alloy,and pretty much anything else.So the bike stays off the road.Damp is also a problem and my beast lives a couple of miles from my house,this is my first year with the 9,but with my previous bikes i tend to coat them in ACF50 which is apparently what your navy guys use to coat the machinery on the Aircraft carriers to prevent Rust,and i gotta say its cool stuff,coats the metal to protect it but also kills any rust or corrosion already present.My only worry is iv not had a bike with this amount of blingy chrome so im not sure if this stuff is ok to leave on the shiny bits,dont want to raise the garage door come spring and find a pile of scrap lol............
Winterize? :don't know: I live in Texas. Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Yep!

However, I do try to ride some through the winter months here in KY.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
OK shop wired for 220 heater and insulated, Ready for what nature can throw at me, I think LOL

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
G

·
OK shop wired for 220 heater and insulated, Ready for what nature can throw at me, I think LOL
My winterization consists of full tank, battery tender, and 20-30 minute ride every few weeks on days that permit(no snow yet or periods where snow melts and roads are clear).

Been doing that for 15 years, never one issue.

NEVER just start and idle the bike. Good way to corrode your exhaust system and engine.

Most oils have anti-acidic properties, so unless you're anal and want to change the oil and NEVER touch the bike all winter, that's up to you.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
My winterization consists of full tank, battery tender, and 20-30 minute ride every few weeks on days that permit(no snow yet or periods where snow melts and roads are clear).

NEVER just start and idle the bike. Good way to corrode your exhaust system and engine.

Most oils have anti-acidic properties, so unless you're anal and want to change the oil and NEVER touch the bike all winter, that's up to you.
Roger that,,,,,,,, I try to ride year round, and this lil 10'x10' shop is just right for the 9. Just came in from wring up the cloths heating wiring, Damn I have had that tank off a lot the last week LOL, Have the fuse on the left side right under the edge of the tank and the main power outlet and temp controller at the top of the risers, Velcro'd to the left bar clamp. push button for the setting. No dial to screw around with while driving. Tried the cruise control out today, Nice being able to give the right hand a break,

·
Registered
5,847 Posts

Basically the same thing I have done since i started riding in 76. As stated, never a problem.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Yes, I'm going to pick up a battery tender at Wal-Fart for the winter. Not only do they trickle charge, but they also condition the chemical balance of your battery. I've been told they can significantly extend the life of the battery, and they can be had for about $20.

G

·
Yes, I'm going to pick up a battery tender at Wal-Fart for the winter. Not only do they trickle charge, but they also condition the chemical balance of your battery. I've been told they can significantly extend the life of the battery, and they can be had for about $20.
If any of you guys are running a AGM or gel like Odyssey, Optima, etc., most normal trickle chargers will not work. You need a specific charger for the AGM/gel deep cycle. I have found Battery Tender chargers not too reliable. I run Schumacher or Optimate on the bikes, and CTEK on my Mustang. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
If any of you guys are running a AGM or gel like Odyssey, Optima, etc., most normal trickle chargers will not work. You need a specific charger for the AGM/gel deep cycle. I have found Battery Tender chargers not too reliable. I run Schumacher or Optimate on the bikes, and CTEK on my Mustang. :bigthumbsup:
:agree:

I bought an inexpensive trickle charger from Walmart last year thinking I would save some money...Spring time rolled around and when I went to start up the bike, the battery was dead. I'm looking at the Optimate for this winter. A little pricier, but less than a new battery!

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
:agree:

I bought an inexpensive trickle charger from Walmart last year thinking I would save some money...Spring time rolled around and when I went to start up the bike, the battery was dead. I'm looking at the Optimate for this winter. A little pricier, but less than a new battery!
Look into the Odyssey. Twice the cold cranking amps. Great battery that is loved by many a member here. We have 1 in each 109 ourselves and love them.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts