M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Clean, wax, full tank of gas with stable run 5-10 min, cover. Then get the 1000 ski doo renegade out and pray for snow! not that we get any more these days.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Heavier gloves, liner back in the jacket. If it's really cold, say 30 or lower, the Aerostich gets used. "Storage" is not an option. :yikes: I live in the Reno, Nv. area and we get our share of snow, cold and bleahhhh kind of weather. I put about 3 to 4K miles a year on my Jeep. Mostly during hunting season. I put quite a bit more on my motorcycles. It's just way it is! :joke: :bigthumbsup: :D :clap2: :hot: :a18: :2cool:

G

·
What was already said, but I would just add a Battery Tender or Trickle Charger for the battery. Just the thought of Winter already bums me out. I cannot imagine this board with a bunch of guys with PMS (parked motorcycle syndrome) :p :p

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for everyone's suggestions. :bigthumbsup: I think that I have narrowed it down to a few.

1. For the few months that I have decided not to ride the bike I can store the beast in the living room. Heated room, maintenance is easier and a nice seat to watch football in. Wife doesn't like this one. :mad: Something about being married to her or the bike.
2. Move south to a location where I can ride year round. :a18: Wife doesn't like this one either. :dontknow: I think that she is hung up on this "married to the bike or her thing".
3. Keep the wife happy and follow the suggestions on this thread. :bigthumbsup:

I begged for #1 and #2, :bow:but the wife told me that it would be #3. Something about the title being in both our names. (My bad) :edit:

So I found a web page that pretty much follows everyone's suggestions (http://www.clarity.net/adam/winter-storage.html). :read:But they offer one thing that nobody has brought up - Spray fogging oil in cylinder(s). I'm not too sure about this one. :dontknow: What does everyone think?

PS I asked the wife to get me a bottle of Armor All for Christmas. Something about the passenger seat being dirty. :a18:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Fogging oil is not nesasary. If you are really going to let her sit for a while, change the oil & filter first.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Two things....fogging oil is only needed if it is going to sit still the entire winter. I plan on riding mine at least a little bit whenever the roads are dry and it's a bit above freezing. Riding it pushes out the fogging oil and you would need to re-fog.
#2: DON'T get the Armor All. Hate the stuff. Once you start using it you have to always keep using it or you will be worse off than if you hadn't used it at all. It tends to dry out the vinyl / leather / whatever once you stop using it. You really don't need any kind of 'protectant' unless you always have the bike standing out in the weather and sun. Just buy a nice cover and store it in the garage instead, then keep the seat clean and you should be fine. If you feel you must use a protectant, try the STP Son of a Gun stuff. It's silicone based, rather than alcohol based.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts