M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not to :bdh:..., but we all(most of us) fell in love with the 9's sexy curves without a windshield on it. At the same time, we all admit that function of the beast is greatly improved with a shield in place. That being said, I'd like to hear and see some opinions/recommendations on the shield that doesn't destroy the mean look of the beast, but provides a decent level of comfort. :dontknow:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Not to :bdh:..., but....
A whole lot out there if you type in windshields in the search feature :bigthumbsup:
LOL!

I had a windshield on my last bike for over 2yrs and it kept the wind off my chest & most of my helmet and I got used to it. Then I got the M109R and it didn't have a shield so I put the V-Stream Sport on it right away.

Long story short any windshield will have a negative impact on the "look" of the bike. Some are uglier than others. Its just a matter of how ugly you want it to be. But they are functional and they serve a purpose. V-Stream clear looks good, V-Stream smoked looks good if you have a black bike, Suzuki OEM shields are higher and better for keeping the wind off you I believe and the clear ones aren't all that noticeable.

I finally decided to take mine off last Spring. Honestly my neck wasn't used to 80mph wind for very long stretches of time and I was miserable. But after a very short period of time I became accustomed to it and it's wasn't a big deal at all. It's all what you get used to. Now I can't imagine having a shield back on my bike. Funny how things change. :doorag:

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I hate the look of windshields too. I've got a black bike like you and the dark tinted V-Stream looks more like fairing than a windshield (it only looks that way on black 109s). It makes a big difference in how fatigued your body feels after a 400 mile day.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Not all windshields look horrible, I got the Suzuki sport model, its a good compromise between looks and function

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Not all windshields look horrible, I got the Suzuki sport model, its a good compromise between looks and function

+1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,nice bike ooinkk........................:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I have the Suzuki Touring shield and I do like the way it looks! When its put on as it's intended to it follows the lines of the bike. But for me its just too low and causes significant buffeting and up draft. I would imagine the sport shield would just be good to cut the wind off of some of your chest and put full force on your helmet which is great if you wear a full face but for me 99.9% of the time I don't.

So I went to the Rifle with lowers, if you are over 6 feet tall you should order one 2" taller so you can lean it back and clean up the air and follow the lines of the bike more.

I think this is where sportbikers and cruisers kind of meet which is exactly what this bike is all about.

I still have the Suzuki touring model pictured below, if anyone is interested $220.00 I'll ship it to you.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I had the suzuki touring and switched to the sport. Surprizingly, the sport has alot less buffetting than the touring plus I can see over the top of it. I try to ride year round so for me a windshield is a must.
I also sent the mounting hardware to Liquidpain to have it chromed.
If you shop around a little on ebay you can pick one up for around $200.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
I have this one and think it looks good.... :bigthumbsup: But everyone has there own tast...

That's like mine and 1 of us has it mounted upside down, LOL A guy here has his your way. I have the smaller end at the top......

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
That's like mine and 1 of us has it mounted upside down, LOL A guy here has his your way. I have the smaller end at the top......
LOL I have no idea I bought mine with it on it... does it work good the other way??? mabe I will try it... LOL :bigthumbsup: It dosn't do to bad this way but still get some wind... U dont have a pic... ???

·
Registered
696 Posts
Here are some comparisons

I initially bought the sport windshield, but found it too small (for me).

I went and bought the touring windshield. Here's a comparison in size. I tried to line up the mounting holes as close as possible.

I still have the sport windshield and hardware. It's immaculate and has no scratches. PM me if you're interested in it. We'll work something out.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Oh just noticed the pic above I think U have the sport one >??? looks smaller than mine the tour one??? :doorag:
Yes sir, you are correct, My bad............I may get the bigger one........

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I've got the Wind Vest and have been very happy. Its just big enough to keep the wind off without looking like :edit:. The mounting hardware is very good quality and hardly noticeable. If you contact the company direct they will even fabricate a higher one for taller riders.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I really like the looks of th VStream on my bike. When I take it off it looks like it's missing something. Here is a shot of Fletch 09R's shield and mine, both look good to me.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I too do not like the look of a windshield. Which is why I love this one. I have the same one, and the best part about it is its 2 allen heads that you just have to loosen (not even remove, just loosen) and the whole thing comes off. Best choice to keep your lines, because you will take it off more often due to such simplicity.

My bike looks good! :bigthumbsup:

Oversized Rifle with lowers

1 - 20 of 53 Posts