M109 Rider Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I have the Vstream and the Rifle Solo. 99% of the time, I'm using the Vstream. Being 6'5", it puts the wind at about my forehead, but there's no wind on my chest. I have the clear touring model, and I love how it flows with the lines of the bike. The Rifle solo is for when the wife rides. The rifle solo is awesome. Any speed over 70 mph, and it creates a vacuum. It'll blow your hair forward. If I smoked, I could light and smoke a cigarette while riding. There is no wind between you and the shield. If you get the Rifle, get the Rifle lowers, too. The wind rolls up your legs without them.

-Josh

·
Registered
245 Posts
Having had the OE Sport shield and now the VStream touring on mine here are my thoughts. The two are actually about the same for wind protection but the VStream does look better. I have the light tint one and you can barely see it and you can still clearly enjoy the lines of the bike. The OE sport shield is actually very very good but I didn't like the brackets because they covered a lot of the lower part of the display housing the tach so I would always forget and leave my signals on because they were covered up (I have an '11 tach in the headlight housing).

For summer riding the Vstream is really nice and goes a good job of keeping it comfortable. I can ride with my half helmet ok at 70+ but with my full face its really good. I'm only 5'7" so it works great and the wind hits the top of the helmet smoothly so I don't get the buffeting. What's weird is if I move the Vstream all the way up it buffets the crap out of me, move it down to the recommended spot and it's perfect. You don't have to hang on for dear life and you can enjoy interstate rides.

For when the weather turns cooler I think I'm going to order the Rifle with the Rifle lowers to make it tolerable in the colder months here and use the VStream in the warmer months. In FL we can ride year round but when it drops into the 60's it gets damn cold on my legs then again I'm used to all the heaters and heated stuff on my GoldWing so I'm a spoiled **** lol...

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Get the V-Stream touring.

I am 6-1, and after some manipulation (bending the brackets so the screen is more vertical, which raises the top) it really does keep the wind off my head. I wear a half helmet and the traffic on AZ freeways is rarely slower than 75mph, which means I am usually moving at about 80-85. It takes some adjusting, but it is way better than when I started with original mounting. The idea is to get the lower leading edge as close to the cowling as possible. I used towels and Vice Grips to do the nasty work on the brackets. Ended up about 2+ inches higher than where it started. Just enough to direct the air over my head.

MT

·
Registered
3,120 Posts

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Dave it took a minute $100.00? i was going to order it then noticed the price and write up is for the carbon fiber trim.
I noticed too. It a 400.00 plus shield. It is the one i have thought.

I think its a little pricey but its a good shield.

G

·

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have the Vstream Tour Tall shield and an 6 foot tall, I installed as directions and it took the air of my chest and stopped the air from ripping my head of over 160 mphm but the buffetting at my helmet was very annoying, like a vibrating sander on my helmet. So I moved it as high as possible and also tilted forward so the top was about 5 inches from the tacho. I still suffered helmet buffeting and was ready to take it off. So I lowered it as low as possible, now works great. The air is off my chest, the buffeting at shoulder level, my helmet in clear air. A win all round

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
G

·
As much as I loved the V stream on my old M50 I wanted clear and quick to detach (20 seconds) also a lot cheaper yet still a quality National Cycles product. If it doesn't work well when I take it on the freeway everything above will be irrelevant and I will buy a V Stream again (light tint).

Fingers crossed!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have a V-Stream that was painted to match my bike. Looked cool, but I still didn't get the protection I was wanting. So, I went to a fairing. Now I feel I have the best of both worlds.

IMG_9790.jpg

IMG_9559.jpg

·
Registered
976 Posts
V stream touring here as well. I'm 5'10" in a good mood. I love the the look and it works even in triple digit speeds (closed course, naturally!)

G

·
I like the dark tint on coloured 109s but not on my black one. Never seen the 'light' 30% tint V Streams in person. On their website they look almost clear - are they?

·
Registered
636 Posts
My V-Stream is supposedly the "light tint" version, yeah it is pretty well clear, can't really tell that it is tinted at all.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I like the dark tint on coloured 109s but not on my black one. Never seen the 'light' 30% tint V Streams in person. On their website they look almost clear - are they?

It is essentially clear. If this is 30% tint then their 0% would be a cloaking device. I have one on my black 9 and like it a lot. Can barely see it, and it flows well when it is visible.

·
Registered
400 Posts
V-Stream Touring for me. I'm 5'9" and have come to find that it makes for a more comfortable ride for me and, as one poster said, don't have to hold on for dear life when riding "in the numbers".

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the V-Stream touring model.
I chose it because it is thicker and can withstand the higher pressures when I cruise at 200MPH.
It starts to oscillate at 250MPH, so I tend to keep it below that speed.
Wouldn't want it to come flying off and hit me.

Ride safe.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts