M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about a windshield for my 9. I don't really like them personally but I think I would like to have a removeable one for when I take long trips. Any info would be nice. Thanks

·
Registered
608 Posts
I am thinking about a windshield for my 9. I don't really like them personally but I think I would like to have a removeable one for when I take long trips. Any info would be nice. Thanks
I have one that came with my bike. First I did was take it off. I also personally don't like them. Yes I will use it for longer trips. I didn't personally take it off and I don't know the brand, but it took like 5 easy minutes and I can find out if you like.

If I can't find a brand I will get a pic.

·
Registered
221 Posts
winshield

I ahve the rifle and have been happy with it, you can put it on or remove it in about ten seconds, just need a allen wrench for two screws. It actually doesn't look to bad but like you I only use it when it's cold out or for real long rides. For the money I felt it was worth it.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I will look into them. I thought there was a company that made a quick release low profile model. I also don't know if a low profile actually helps all that much.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Shield

I've got the Suzuki sport shield and like it. I think it detracts least from the lines of the 9. I leave it on all the time and don't really notice it. However, it doesn't do what a big cruiser shield does. It breaks the wind off your chest but your head still catches a lot. The touring version might be better. That said, it still makes a long ride better. I've done eleven hours straight on the interstate with it, and several ten to twelve hour backroad days with it and would hate to not have one now. I rode without one for the first year and having it is better.

I did a search in the for sale board and got a good price on mine. Not knowing if I would be satisfied with it it wouldn't have made sense to pay retail just to try it.

GW

·
Registered
427 Posts
don't need so much dental floss

I have the Rifle Soloshield, and it detaches in just a few seconds, as mentioned above. I really like it for long rides, and it extends down over the sides of the light nacelle. I have it positioned about an inch or so away from the light, and it works great there. I do quite a bit of long distance riding, and I get there with more energy to do what I went there for. I have the angle of the shield pretty much parallel to the forks, so it doesn't disrupt the lines of the 9 so much. It does seem to put me in more of a cruiser mode than a "get after it" mode, though. As it gets cooler- down to the 40's this weekend where I'll be going, I like it more and more.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
I've got the Suzuki sport shield and like it. I think it detracts least from the lines of the 9. I leave it on all the time and don't really notice it. However, it doesn't do what a big cruiser shield does. It breaks the wind off your chest but your head still catches a lot. The touring version might be better. That said, it still makes a long ride better. I've done eleven hours straight on the interstate with it, and several ten to twelve hour backroad days with it and would hate to not have one now. I rode without one for the first year and having it is better.

I did a search in the for sale board and got a good price on mine. Not knowing if I would be satisfied with it it wouldn't have made sense to pay retail just to try it.

GW
I bought the same one here on our for sale thread for $80 Screaming deal, To bad the guy just threw it in a big box with the hardware in a plastic bag and didn't tape it down. The hardware beat the heck out of the shield. LOL Haven't heard from or seen the guy again. Great smaller shield though and makes a nice whole for me to go through!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
After nearly getting blown off the 9 when I first had the bike and no shield, I picked up a National Cycle V-Stream Windshield.

http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycle/nresults2.html?search_model=su-094

While this shield moved the wind off my chest, I still had a lot of "Bobble-head" due to the wind hitting the top of my helmet. I'm 5'9" and had 2" handlebar extensions at the time. In my humble opinion, it was better than nothing, but still not quite what I wanted. It did seem to follow the lines of the 9 a little better than other shields, but it also gave the 9 that "Alien" type of look....

I then moved to a Rifle windshield.
Now this is a real windshield that works incredible well.

http://www.rifle.com/stores/showdet...195&Product=SoloShield_X(tm)_for_Suzuki_M-109

I also have the lowers which do a pretty good job of keeping the cold air off my legs. I can better tell the difference in the cooler weather as opposed to the hotter weather.

My number one choice is the Rifle windshield.

·
Registered
608 Posts
OK Mine is a Memphis Shades. All clear...all one piece. I can't read the teeny numbers under the name but I'm sure that says what the particular one is.

Easy to take off. But so far that is all I have done to it is take it off.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
What da he$$

Here's my zook sport shield

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I've got a Memphis Shades Hellcat that I use for touring. Bags, windshield, highway pegs etc. all come off at the end of the trip.
I hate all windshields on a 9, but this one looks less bad in my opinion. It's not exactly easy on/off but for me, it works. Installation instructions stink.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I have the suzuki touring shield and love it. Got it back in 06 when they didn't cost much. Now there crazy money. The touring does stop the wind on your head. The nice thing is, I can see just over it and still stop the wind on your head. It don't flex at high speed either.

Good luck.

Dave @ NES.stone

1 - 20 of 23 Posts