M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes I did do a search on the subject....but still need to know some details.....checked out Memphis Shades and saw mixed reviews...mostly bad......Suzuki offers one but beaucoup bucks...and then there is the Solo Shield X.....by Rifle....that's the one I'm really leaning toward . any feedback would be greatly appreciated :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

Oh and yeah never thought I'd be wanting a windshield but that wind at eighty can make ya crazy.......funny never noticed the wind thirty years ago....also I'm 5'10" if that helps with any of your replies ......thanks again

·
Registered
67 Posts
Here is a link to pictures of my windshield from Memphis shades. I modified the bottom opening to match the shape of the tach. This allowed me to move it closer and adjust it so I get a good wind protection. When I first purchased the shade I hated it as I had so much buffeting on the top of the helmet it was hard to see. I am 5'10" tall. After cutting the opening to match the tach and moving it forward I experimented with the angle. I found if I moved the bracket bar all the way in towards the handle bar clamps and put the screen all the way up with a slight angle I stopped the buffeting and now I love it. I don't usually like windshields but on long rides they make it nice. Here in NC we have bugs that feel like medium sized rocks when they hit so I really like it now.

Good luck and let me know if you have a problem.

http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&id=1181478&pid=2552197
http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&id=1181478&pid=2552007

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have been using the Memphis Shades windshield for over 3 months now and can tell you that for a minimalist type windshield it is pretty decent. During the first few weeks I think I re-installed it about 4 times before I finally found way to mount it that both looked good and gave adequate protection. At first I noticed a good amount of side buffetting but since remounting it last it has either subsided or I have gotten used to it. I primarily ride my M109R as a commuter bike putting about 60 miles on it per day, mostly at speeds exceeding 55.
:a20:

One of my biggest problems is that during the summer when I was wearing my full helmet I wasn't getting any airflow through my vents because the windshield was doing such a good job. You have to tweak the angle for your height. I am 5'11" and have it tweaked so if I stretch my neck up just a bit I will get some airflow in through the top vents.

It helps to have someone help you install it and be careful to cover your tachometer with a blanket or rag as I tried mounting mine alone and it scratched up against the tach when I was not paying attention and now I have a few scuffs in the middle of the shield.
:swear:

Good luck!

-Tim

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have been using the Memphis Shades windshield on mine for about 2 months now, and really like it. It has a number of adjustments, that allow you to custom fit it to your liking. I am 6 ft., and where it sets, allows me to duck behind it or look over the top. In my opinion, it goes with the flow of the bike and isn't to big or cumbersome looking. Plus, it also doesn't put a huge hole in your wallet, like the ones from the dealer!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey guys, are you still enjoying the Memphis Shades windshields? I'm in the market for one, and am trying to decide between the MS and the Rifle.

Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Neither as slick as the Suzuki 'shields!JMO :doorag:

·
Registered
288 Posts
I agree as well. I have the Suzuki Speed Shield on my 9. At first I got quite a bit of buffeting. I have played around with it and either fixed most of the problem or I am getting use to it. I think it depends on which way the winds are blowing. It accomplishes what i was looking for...a minimalist windshield with quality, bug deflector that looks good and takes the wind of my chest. It has helped the getting pushed off the bike feel for sure.

I think it compliments the bike better than any others...suzukli is charging a premium for that. On a scale of 1 - 10, I would give it a 6. I am looking at some of the larger windshields for longer rides. The speed screen will not offer much protection from the wind.

·
Registered
237 Posts
dilbertian said:
I have been using the Memphis Shades windshield for over 3 months now and can tell you that for a minimalist type windshield it is pretty decent. During the first few weeks I think I re-installed it about 4 times before I finally found way to mount it that both looked good and gave adequate protection. At first I noticed a good amount of side buffeting but since remounting it last it has either subsided or I have gotten used to it. I primarily ride my M109R as a commuter bike putting about 60 miles on it per day, mostly at speeds exceeding 55.
:a20:

One of my biggest problems is that during the summer when I was wearing my full helmet I wasn't getting any airflow through my vents because the windshield was doing such a good job. You have to tweak the angle for your height. I am 5'11" and have it tweaked so if I stretch my neck up just a bit I will get some airflow in through the top vents.

It helps to have someone help you install it and be careful to cover your tachometer with a blanket or rag as I tried mounting mine alone and it scratched up against the tach when I was not paying attention and now I have a few scuffs in the middle of the shield.
:swear:

Good luck!

-Tim
I agree with everything you wrote dilbertian... making adjustments to get the right feel, wind into a full face and especially covering your tach. My friend and I both have the Memphis Shades HellCat and it works great and looks really good, especially the black windshield on a black bike, like mine!

Check out my pics to get a better idea.

http://image2.frappr.com/pix2/i/20070502/7/1/2/7123f4364a128c5af03a9037f090f01e0_large.jpg
http://image2.frappr.com/pix2/i/20070502/8/1/d/81d779a0e18313f0d2c827c6d82934790_large.jpg

http://www.frappr.com/ezrider44

1 - 10 of 10 Posts