M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several positive post were made concerning windshields, which resulted with several members purchasing Memphis Shades windshields (Shooters, Hellcat). Can you guy provide some information on the benefits gained especially on highway trips. Are they really worth the investment to truly enjoy riding through strong winds, or rain. I just did a 450 miles trip this weekend and the wind kicked my butt, especially at high speeds. I have many more trips planned and I want to enjoy the highway so, please share your experiences good or bad.

G

·
Just remember that one dude at 5'11 with shield X and another dude at 5'11 with the same shield can give you two different results.

THIS THING ROCKS!!!! says the guy with the shoei fullface who rides leaned over a tad

THIS THING SUCKS, THEY LIED LIED LIED says the guy in the 1/2 helmet

I've said my piece :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
254 Posts
I too am very interested in opinions

·
Registered
36 Posts
Got the Hellcat. It did not help. I'll try another angle setting soon. I'm 6 feet tall and wear a full face helmet. I usually ride on Chicago highways - they are usually windy. The best type of windshield would probably be a full sized one, along with lowers.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Any pix and did it make a difference at all?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am looking for feedback with as much details as possible, based on the riders size, equipment, and experience. I understand there maybe various opinions. However the information will assist me greatly in finalizing my decision.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
My impression of the Memphis Shade Shooter. I have mixed reviews. It depends upon what you want a windshield for if your going to go for a shield as small as the shooter. Due to the size and the distance forward, no matter what position you put it in there is some blow by. It does cut down a major portion of the direct wind, however some portion swirls around inward and does cause some buffeting. You can look up numerous posts here about the buffeting. It just happens with a shield this small. This causes some oscillating *** noise around your head. Depending upon the exact position of the shield, it can be only slightly objectionable, to very objectionable. Moving the shield as high up and back (the farthest back while maintaining the tallest height) is the best position to reduce the buffeting and noise you get while cutting the most wind. Lowering the shield all the way down also reduces the buffeting but it also does not block much wind. Middle positions seem to have the largest buffeting and wind wopping your head.

The shield does work some and looks pretty cool. Even though you have some blow by that swirls in a circular pattern around you and hits your head; when you hold your hand up above your head (outside the riding position), or off to the side you feel the additional wind that is not being blocked. To what degree you get head buffeting depends upon the exact location of the shield, and what type of helmet you are wearing.

I definitely think the shooter is worth the purchase price. I had no expectations that a shield this small would totally block the wind. It just can't! Add to it's size the fact that the 109 handlebar mount point is a pretty good stretch forward and a shade this small just can't have much chance of totally blocking the wind. However, when lowered all the way and slanted to match the fork rake, it looks awsome. When raised, it does block some wind and still looks good.

Comments on the Hellcat seem to be a little better, but not significantly better. It too is just too small for total wind coverage.

Hope this helps some.

G

·
I know Nester, spent like a grand on different shields and has sent them all back.

He did all kinds of road testing and was not happy with any of them. PM him he can fill you in.

TAZ

·
Registered
99 Posts
i have the touring(suzuki)shield ordered,also the short back rest.they are supposed to be installed friday.i will let you all know about them soon.i'll also shoot some pics.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The Hellcat works fine for me. I'm 6'1" and I have it lowered as much as possible and also tilted back where it almost follows the couture if the headlight housing. I still need a face shield and I still get a little buffeting at highway speed of 70 or more. Or with a strong head or cross wind wind. But over all it is way better than no shield at all.

I will say that if you try to angle it upward and raise it where the top comes to the bridge of your nose as suggested by Memphis shades it really sucks. Buffeting is horrible and if you get behind an 18 wheeler you get some scary side to side shifting. :doorag:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hellcat, 6'3", constant helmet buffeting at highway speeds, no matter what the position. It's better than nothing for me, but I'm jettisoning it as soon as something better comes along.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Hi All,
I just installed my Shooter this past weekend...I'm 5'8" 145 and due to the bar position lean forward. Anyway I LIKE that thing a lot. I rode over 400 miles without at speeds up to 95 mph and felt like i needed to be lashed onto the bike. I got the 9 up to 105 and it did the job just great for me. Mind you its positioned withthe rake of the bike...but 1 inch forward. No complaints from me on the Shooter! :p :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

Devilish

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
dynamos2000 said:
Just remember that one dude at 5'11 with shield X and another dude at 5'11 with the same shield can give you two different results.

THIS THING ROCKS!!!! says the guy with the shoei fullface who rides leaned over a tad

THIS THING SUCKS, THEY LIED LIED LIED says the guy in the 1/2 helmet

I've said my piece :bigthumbsup:
True. And remember: there are those who will only ride with a shield, and those who never ride with one.

My personal opinion: I don't have the M109R (or a shield for one), but my current bike is my first bike with a shield. I will never have another bike now w/o a shield.

G

·
I know that some people will comment that I have a vested interest in selling windshields but if you go back and read my first review that we did I gave it to you exactly as I saw it.  Even said that you would get some air up around the top of the helmet.  Of corurse I was accused of lying and ripping someone off because thats exactly what his did.

But here is the bottom line- - - everyone has different opinions and you have to experiment for yourself to see what you like.  I actually gave my shooter away to JYD so that he could try it.  I rode the almost 4,000 miles on our Sturgis trip without a windshield and had no issues that bothered me other than the side windblasts we got but that forced us to ride with a severe lean to counter the side pressure and would not have had anything to do with the windshield.

And remember that its a MOTORCYCLE that you are riding.  Its not a new car with complete silence inside.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
HalGreenlee said:
And remember that its a MOTORCYCLE that you are riding. Its not a new car with complete silence inside.
AMEN :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have had a Hell-Cat on my VTX for almost 2 years and have adjusted it up down, in and out to find a compromise of protection and buffeting which can't be eliminated by this shield. IMO. I have it for looks and to keep the wind off my chest and the bugs out of my face which it does very well. Everytime I remove it I find out why I have it and it goes back on. the pitch or angle of attack has to be adjusted per your level of comfort. I find standing it up too straight creates the most turbulence and backwash if you will. Too low and I get a face full of air but a clean shirt. I do not want a full shield that I have to look through. Taking the air off your body will extend your riding day and when I cruise above 70 the half helmet goes on the shelf and an open face-w/full shield keeps me in the acceptable comfort zone without going to a full face $900 helmet designed for NASA & Formula 1

·
Registered
76 Posts
HalGreenlee said:
I know that some people will comment that I have a vested interest in selling windshields but if you go back and read my first review that we did I gave it to you exactly as I saw it. Even said that you would get some air up around the top of the helmet. Of corurse I was accused of lying and ripping someone off because thats exactly what his did.

But here is the bottom line- - - everyone has different opinions and you have to experiment for yourself to see what you like. I actually gave my shooter away to JYD so that he could try it. I rode the almost 4,000 miles on our Sturgis trip without a windshield and had no issues that bothered me other than the side windblasts we got but that forced us to ride with a severe lean to counter the side pressure and would not have had anything to do with the windshield.

And remember that its a MOTORCYCLE that you are riding. Its not a new car with complete silence inside.
I'm a toddler compare to you when it comes to motorcycle knowledge, but with all due respect I think we all agree its going to be noise, windy, etc. thats a given. The thing is that some people (like myself) are wanting to have a half decent ride (wind and noise included) with out having to pop 5 Advils to stop your head from aching after the wind has shaken your brain around like a dryer on speed.

G

·
I have a Memphis Shades Big Shot in my Sabre and I can tell you that it helps on long trips at high speeds... not so much of a difference on the city...

at highway speeds it helps deflect the wind from your chest therefore making you less tired of holding on...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts