M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else being driven nuts by the ringing in your ears after a day of riding? I wear the foam ear plugs, use a Full face
HJC helmet. No wind shield of course cause to be honest I have yet to see one that does not look like crap on this bike.

I love everything about this bike but this wind noise problem. Its worse when wearing leather vs Mesh Jackets or just a long sleeve shirt as more air gets deflected up under the helmet. Gotta wonder what the long term effects will be on my hearing.
When I think about that, its enough to push me to another bike. Anyone have any recommendations for this problem.. 6'3" btw..

Thanks,
Blur,MN

·
Registered
254 Posts
Blur said:
Its worse when wearing leather vs Mesh Jackets or just a long sleeve shirt as more air gets deflected up under the helmet. Gotta wonder what the long term effects will be on my hearing.
When I think about that, its enough to push me to another bike. Anyone have any recommendations for this problem.. 6'3" btw..
Get married......it'll become music

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Blur said:
I wear the foam ear plugs, use a Full face HJC helmet.....Gotta wonder what the long term effects will be on my hearing.
Well, if you're wearing ear plugs and a full face helmet, I imagine you will have no effects since you shouldn't hear much noise.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I am 6'6" and from Northern MN originally, Arctic Cat town. Have a size 8 1/4 head (square, ya know) so the only helmet on the shelf that fit was a $600.00 full face ARAI. When the shield is down it is actually too quiet.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I have a ton of wind noise when riding... just wear ear plugs and it doesn't bother me a bit, and can still hear pretty well, just cuts out the bad frequencies I guess...

:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
665 Posts
Ususally wind noise is from a helmet not fitting right. It should be a snug fit. If it fits right,there will be very little noise. On a full face helmet,if you can grab the chin piece,and move it back,and forth without moving your head,it's too loose. Same for up and down. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I have just come in from a ride on my FJR1300 and the helmet noise in the disturbed air just above the shield is significant, but if I stretch up and put the helmet into the clean air, it is "quiet as"! I am going to try a shorter shield to keep my helmet nearer the clean air.
Have tried quiet a few helmets and the quietest yet is the Shoei RF 1000 with a "whisper strip"..nice on the 109 with 'clean air' (no screen).. to get the best sound levels I should have the visor shut tight....I mostly ride with it open one notch to stop fogging.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Yes,getting your head up in the "clean" air helps! :bigthumbsup:

G

·
I have a HJC helmet and a Shoei helmet. My shoei is MUCH quieter. It is a case of you get what you pay for. $100 HJC or $300 Shoei. Now I just wear a 1/2 helmet. I want to hear my bike. Screw my hearing. Too many years of concerts and headphones.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'm glad he's concerned about his hearing. I have Tinnitus from my music-playing days and it's not fun :mad: After sitting behind guitar amps on a crowded stage in bars and arenas for 12+ years, I'm surprised I can hear at all any more ::) I can't be in a quiet room for more than a couple of minutes before the ringing in my ears is too much to bear. I have to sleep with a TV or radio on.

Blur... do what you have to do to keep that ringing in your ears from becoming a permanent problem. I bet a helmet upgrade would help a lot :doorag:

·
Registered
568 Posts
You need to get a helmet that fits your head. I use a Shark RSX that is Very quiet. Do some reseach on different helmets and how some are better for different head shapes. The Shark RSX is for a very oval type shape and believe me it is!! :beer3: :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the responses all.. I thought my helmet fit ok, but maybe it is just a bit too big from what I read here, so I will start with that.
I do have a GL1800 Goldwing btw, its just not seeing much road time these days cause after the monster power of the 109 it seems slow. :)

Blur

·
Registered
343 Posts
If you buy another bike you'll still have the problem as long as you keep wearing the same helmet. THAT is where the problem lies.

·
Registered
190 Posts
That really surprises me that you still have that problem using ear plugs AND wearing a full face helmet. My ears are also very sensitive, and I use to have to wear ear plugs, but when I finally went to a full face helmet, I didn't even the plugs any longer. Only suggestion I would have is to try another helmet! Good Luck :bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts