M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has an M109R and I am really particular who works on it. I took the bike to a dealer for the first service and it came back with oil fingerprint all over the bike :(

I want to buy the service manual and take care of the basic service interval tasks myself.

The question I have is:
Will servicing the bike myself void the factory warranty and if not, would keeping the invoices for oil filters & oil etc. be sufficient in the event of a warranty claim that may involve engine related issues etc?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Not unless you forget to add oil after you drain it and lock up your engine... :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
665 Posts
Keep the invoices,for oil, filter,and a record of the milage and dates the service was done,and your good to go! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Ron. It makes sense that it should be covered since there does not seem to be any way for Suzuki to know that a dealer serviced the bike UNLESS they require invoices from a DEALER

·
Registered
642 Posts
Other forums have said dealers cannot enforce having them do the service as long as you keep good records and receipts. The guys that answered were lawyers of one type or another and I've always done my own work even on my chopper which still had a few months left on the warranty when I picked it up used. As a matter of fact the 109 will be my first new bike ever and it will be my 7th street bike I won't know how to act with a brand new one. :p

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Booda!

I am getting ready to buy the 109 Service Manual and do the 2500mile service myself in the next few weeks.
My wife is a little apprehensive of my mechanical skills since I am an IT guy and wrenching is probably not my strongest point! :p

Wish me luck! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
642 Posts
I am getting ready to buy the 109 Service Manual and do the 2500mile service myself in the next few weeks.
My wife is a little apprehensive of my mechanical skills since I am an IT guy and wrenching is probably not my strongest point

You are welcome and just take your time and read the manual and look at the bike first and walk yourself through it before you put tool to hand. You will feel so much better doing the work yourself and the feeling of accomplishment is over the top plus the $60 an hour labor charge you are saving yourself not to mention getting a dirty bike back after they are done.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Exactly!

I shouldn't say this to loudly on this forum, but I am a Harley owner. The M109 is the wife's.
I have done the servicing on my bike and it wasn't a big deal really. It think once you have gone through a service for the first time, it seems to get easier and you learn a few tricks on the way. It is defnitely gratifying I agree, and as you mentioned, the labour costs you save makes you feel even more accomplished. :bigthumbsup:

I just bought the manual by the way. Here is the link in case you were wondering: http://www.repairmanual.com/catalog/99500-39290-03E

Enjoy the bike as it is BADA$$!!!! My Harley feels like a donkey compared to this monster! :D

·
Registered
642 Posts
"The M109 is the wife's."
Man bro that's awesome your wife is riding such a big bike you gotta love that when your both out riding? No little dinky Honda Rebel trying to keep up with your HD right? If you've already serviced the HD you can sure as hell do the 109 and thanks for the link to the manual that will come in handy when my turn comes.

"My Harley feels like a donkey compared to this monster"
My chopper puts out 100 hp & 115 torque I do have the dyno sheet so this is no BS but I know just from riding the 109 on a test ride the quickness of that bike is awesome and the ride is like glass "smooth"! It will be cool to have both bikes once the 109 gets here and what ever itch I want to scratch that day will decide which bike I'll ride. I'm really going to use the 109 as a back & forth to work bike and keep the miles down on the chopper for resale in the future.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
booda,

You will love this bike. I have not ridden it much, but the times I do, I really enjoy it. It's defnitely as "smooth as glass" but you can defnitely feel the animal lurking in it when you start to roll-on the throttle.

Godd luck with your new bike. I know you will be happy with it! :bigthumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts