M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my bike in March 06 and I would like to have a little more performance but I don't want the loud pipes. This is my first post on this site and I'm hoping one of you tech guys can help me with advise. I've read alot about BigAir and Power Commander down loads, but are they worth the money? Do you have to get new pipes because I like the sound of the stock system? My ride'n buddy has a V-Rod with Screaming Eagle pipes and a Power Commander system and we run neck - n -neck I mean almost dead even. One day I'd like to pull away if ya know what I mean.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Great questions. I am very interested in this too. Have you considered drilling out the stock pipes? It makes the sound much deeper and throatier, and only louder when you hammer it, but otherwise it's very very tame. Nothing like most aftermarket pipes. I made a video in the how-to step by step section that gives you an idea of the sound if you're interested. It should also help lessen the restriction of air flow the stock pipes have, but I'm just guessing. JR has said that Suzuki did an awesome job on the stock pipes, and he knows what he's talking about.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I agree, I drilled out the center (first 2) of the baffles in my pipes and have a custom intake and PCIII. It certainly helped. What helped? I cant say for sure what gave the most improvement. I did not dyno, but I also wear ear plugs all the time so I don't think it is just the sound making me "feel" faster. You can definitely feel it.
I would also get the JSD-3M.

The sound from the pipes is great, not much louder, just different. Plus they look completely stock. I may drill the third plate one day before I get an after market/home made exhaust.

Sledzep

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Hey JR... I know pretty much nothing about exhaust... but if emissions equipment is whats keeping the Suzi pipes from being all they can be... and is also adding weight...

Then why not just yank the emissions stuff?? How hard would it be to yank the catalytic converter but keep the rest of the stockers? I am guessing that would shed a few pounds and let her breathe a little more  :dontknow:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts