M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an M50 before I bought my 109. As soon as I brought the 9 home my wife and I have been playing cat n mouse about whether she would ride with me on the M50. She never would say yes and she never would say no. I kept telling her, just tell me one way or the other (I don't want to push her to ride) so I can sell the M50 if your not going to ride it, and she always sat on the fence. This has been the condition for 6 months until a few weeks back when she went off by herself and took the MSF riding course. She passed but unfortunately they did not issue the licenses. They said they had to mail all the paperwork to the DMV and she would be notified in about a month to go to the nearest DMV office and get her license. So since she can't ride on the street, we've been going over to the nearby school and she's been practicing on the M50. Before that, the 125cc at the MSF course is the only bike she'd ever been on. I'll have to say she seems to take to it real well. She has a little ways to go before all the clutch, brake, shift, brake mechanical actuations are all second nature, but I can already tell she'll be a pretty smooth rider. She looks like she can handle the bike at slow speeds better than I can. I don't think I'll ever be a great slow speed rider. So here she is in a few pics of the day practicing.

Here she is going through starts, upshifting, turns at riding speed, downshifting, and stopping.

Here she's practicing figure 8's. She did about 50 of these pretty tight, and really did well at them.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cbxer55 said:
Congradulations to her!
My wife rides a blue 06 M50 and totally loves it.
She has ridden before, when we lived in California, but without a license.
Now she has a license and goes with me every chance she gets.

Robert Hill
Midwest City, OK.
Well congrats back Robert. The M50 is a great bike for anyone beginning, or even not beginning. It's a load of fun to ride and has no untoward quirks. It has an easy pull clutch with a broad feather range and the motor is ruler flat across the powerband. This makes it real easy to ride. It can hang in the twisties pretty good too. Good riding to you and your wife.

G

·
The M50 was the bike I chose when I returned to riding after a 10 year hiatus. I kind of wish I would've kept her now....but my wife will get her own bike eventually....she really wants a trike....but when I showed her a few prices she was like :eek: and I was like :dontknow: then she went :edit: and I went ::) LOL.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Hey congrats, I know how you feel! My girlfriend also passed the MSF course this year and is doing well riding around town on my Buell XB9. She was a bit shaky at first and scared of the Buell but now that she's gotten a little more used to it she loves it! It's easier to ride than even the smallest cruiser as it is under 400 lbs with a really short wheelbase and it's the easiest bike to ride that I've ever ridden. Of course now she want a cruiser, and a boob job, and a tummy tuck, and, and, and...... ::)

·
Registered
664 Posts
Congrats Jazzman :bigthumbsup:
I got my wife riding this year.. She went down and passed the MSF, then we took her to the local school as well...... she has managed to put a lil over 3,000 miles on her bike in the last couple of months now... and i gotta say It is alot of fun to go riding with the wife :bigthumbsup: .... My wife has an 06 C50... She loves that bike...
The only thing i suggest is a set of engine guards.... alot of first time riders will drop there bikes at lights, or stop signs, forget to put the kickstand down etc.... (yeah, my wife droped hers when a bee got in her helmet at a stop sign)... We had engine guards on her C50 and the only thing she damaged was right side mirror (minor scrape), and a tiny spot on her fender (touch up paint fixed it right up)..

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Congrats Jazzman, my Wife will never ride her own. No way, No how. I am not sure if that is actually good or bad.
Looking forward to maybe goin for a ride the three of us as soon as she is ready.

Sledzep

·
Registered
890 Posts
Hey Jazzman...way to go! :bigthumbsup: Nothing looks better than a babe on a bike...especially when she's your babe. i know you're proud of her...your pics made me remember when my girl took the course and her practice sessions afterwards. Oh, then she took off with her girlfriends :eek:... MAN its nice to ride behind them...sometimes :evil:...hahaha :doorag:

Devilish

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Jazzman,congrats on the riding Wife.I started on a Marauder 800(old M-50) and then passed it on to the Wife.She rode it for a couple years then I got her a Honda VTX 1300C.Have fun with Her beside(or behind or in front)of you.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the encouragement guys. She's not on the streets yet so I guess only time will tell. Kind of makes me nervous about her though. I don't worry about me, but I sure do about her.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
jazzman said:
Thanks for all the encouragement guys. She's not on the streets yet so I guess only time will tell. Kind of makes me nervous about her though. I don't worry about me, but I sure do about her.
Just start her out easy. You lead, I will follow her if you like till she gets comfortable.

As I think about this a little more I am kind of glad my wife will not ride her own bike. If she did, every time we passed one of those country stores displaying "early attic" type of stuff it would be, Brake, Turn, Park, Shop. It would be very hard to get any real riding done like that...

Sledzep

1 - 20 of 28 Posts