M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is starting to hint around about getting her own bike. Do you folks have any good ideas about a bike for her. She has never ridden but wants something smooth and relatively cheap. She love my 109 but she thinks it is too big for her. Any ideas and pics would be nice.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
How about our little brother the M90?? Still too big?

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
My wife is starting to hint around about getting her own bike. Do you folks have any good ideas about a bike for her. She has never ridden but wants something smooth and relatively cheap. She love my 109 but she thinks it is too big for her. Any ideas and pics would be nice.
The S50, C50 or even the M50 are all AWESOME bikes to start with. They are 800cc bikes, but weigh in around 500-550lbs so they are not heavy. In addition, they have plenty of pep so she will not outgrow it in 1 or 2 months. PM Zoom as his wife has a S50. We all see it and cannot say enough good things about it and she loves it. Bikergranny was on a Volusia (C50 but the older one) and loved the bike. It wasn't her first bike but we kept telling anyone that wanted to learn, that was the bike to start.

You can get these bikes used anywhere from $2-$5k in great shape. Good to go used for the first bike.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Im getting a c40 for my wife.

or c50 ?

·
Registered
381 Posts
If she has never ridden then the M90 might still be a bit much... i can burn the rear tire and send it out sideways with out much effort...and if someone isn't good with a clutch that could be a issue. I would say you need to ask yourself a couple questions first.

1- can she operate a clutch? even in a car it atleast gives the basic idea of what needs to be done.

2- Is she coordinated? Learn fast?

3- Is she big enough to fit comfortably on a bigger bike or is she pettite and should prob be on a smaller bike that she could throw around easier while learning?

I would guess if the love of riding is there then she will eventually have a big bike... but the learning curve is the issue... spend the money once and take a chance of it scaring her..or buy small and know that you will be upgrading soon. I would at the very least recomend a used bike for a first timer.

·
Registered
381 Posts
She likes the look of the 109 and is not much on the heritage style. You can see my stuggle.
If you choose the M90... first thing you need to do is go to www.johnskits.com and get a set of lowering bones... the Bike is much easier to throw around, handles better and looks better lowered. I am 5'11" and was stretched out when putting my feet on the ground... not to mention it almost felt a little top heavy before the lowering bones were installed.

I love the 90.. will prob be going to the 109 soon but i wouldn't have any problems recomending the 90 to anyone... i am just not sure if i would ever consider it as a beginners bike.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
She likes the look of the 109 and is not much on the heritage style. You can see my stuggle.
Time to put the foot down. No struggle at all. For her to start off on anything that looks like a m109 has to be a 109 or 90. That is completely retarded for her to jump right into either of those. Tell her to ride a smaller/lighter bike for a year and get comfortable. Then over next winter you can sell the used/older bike and buy her what she wants.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea that is not a bad idea. I just want to make sure she is going to ride it. I will sift through all the bikes out there and see what I can find. I appreciate the input. I guess the next thing will be finding some good used bikes online.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Yea that is not a bad idea. I just want to make sure she is going to ride it. I will sift through all the bikes out there and see what I can find. I appreciate the input. I guess the next thing will be finding some good used bikes online.
Yep. And remember, even though the M90 isn't as powerful as the 9, it still weights in at almost 700lbs.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am looking at the M50 now. I wanted to surprise her but the 109 is so far from other bikes in design I might have to get her opinion on wha to buy.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
What I hear is the SHES NEVER RIDDEN BEFORE

Start small yes I agree but most important is a 3 day motorcycle safety course. They have one here at the local community college and also on Ft. Knox so I'm sure you can find one to enroll her in at your location. They supply the bike in most cases and will give her a GOOD FOUNDATION seeing that shes never ridden before - it should be a must for ALL new riders IMHO. I had to take it order to just ride my 109 on Ft. Knox at all. Good luck and happy bike shopping! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have an 08 C50 with less than 4,000 miles on it. power comander and after market pipes..Great bike for a lady! Give me a shout, and I'll sell it to you : ) It looks just like this bike.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
she does not want a 3-wheeler...i want to get her into something used for around 3k...i don't expect she will be on it longer than a year.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts