M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wierd Popping noise(Intermitent) Thoughts? (Updated w/ Pics)

Any one heard a Popping noise coming from the rear hub area? When I roll my 109 when i sit on it (under load) it makes a popping noise its not continuous but it just does it ever so often. Any thoughts of what it might be? It has been riding fine but I dont want to risk tearing anything up, so I stop riding it this past weekend. I just wanted some thoughts on it before I tear into her. :dontknow:

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will Check on that Hink Thanks!!! What part is it exactly that I need to lube?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I will Check on that Hink Thanks!!! What part is it exactly that I need to lube?
In all honesty, it may already be too late for lube. You may need to replace. Thankfully, they are not very expensive parts. But, examine the splines on the shaft, and where it goes into the "primary" ( which IMO is really the secondary). If the splines are rounded (Part#2 into Part#7)... It's too late, and you'll need to replace. Also, change your rear diff. fluid first. You may just have some debris that needs to come out!:dontknow: It's worth a shot...

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
F#%K!!!!! Thanks Hink! I'll see what it looks like this evening, If I get some time. I'll keep you posted bro.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Again, try changing the rear diff fluid... See if it goes away... But I'd still check, and lube anyways.
I change the rear diff fluid about 2000 miles ago. I will feel better just pulling the shaft and see if my splines need lubed or if I need a new shaft. Its about a $125 part, I would rather go ahead and fix that, than to have something let go and cause a bunch of other problems. :bigthumbsup: Thanks again Bro!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Man when I first read the thread I thought it said

"Weird Pooping Noise!"

LOL! Sorry Carlos I know Im way off topic.
hehehe Nah that's just gas.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well I took her apart tonight and my Shaft was lubed well! LOL Splines were in great shape too. Everything seemed to move freely. Not sure whats going on. I am going to re-lube every thing replace my shaft spring, circlip and oil seal. Then change out my differential fluid and see what happens. I pray and hope it goes away. I cant hear anything or feel anything while turning everything by hand, I guess thats a good thing. ???

·
Registered
52 Posts
hey man, you're not the only one with this problem. it happened to me for quite some time too....i only noticed it when pushing the bike around, generally after it had been ridden.

i brought it in hoping it would be covered under warranty, but it wasn't. they did however fix the problem and charged me around $50. they said they just had to adjust something down there and didn't really tell me what it was.

i might be able to find more info if i can find the reciept, but i think all they wrote down was adjustment or something.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey man, you're not the only one with this problem. it happened to me for quite some time too....i only noticed it when pushing the bike around, generally after it had been ridden.

i brought it in hoping it would be covered under warranty, but it wasn't. they did however fix the problem and charged me around $50. they said they just had to adjust something down there and didn't really tell me what it was.

i might be able to find more info if i can find the reciept, but i think all they wrote down was adjustment or something.
If you could find out that would be great. If you find out anything give me a shout 501-993-6377

·
Registered
52 Posts
If I remember correctly, it was a gearing alignment or adjustment. They aren't very descriptive. Does yours do it whether it's warm or not?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
If I remember correctly, it was a gearing alignment or adjustment. They aren't very descriptive. Does yours do it whether it's warm or not?
Interesting, must have a good dealer. If that was what they did, that would be atleast a 2hr job--probably closer to 4hrs to be realistic. Not to mention the shimms needed to do the alignment in the rear hub or taking them out--not likely. So, that being the only adjustment point in the rear suspension (besides the shock), If they did anything to that extent, that would be the point. How long did they have the bike? $50 would cover the material---shimms, gear oil, and maybe a couple of seals/o-rings. Curious though. Interested in what the receipt says.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It started doing it in the warmer months.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not sure if I'd say they're a good dealer or not. I don't know how long it took because at a place like that you can't make an appt. You just drop your bike off and they get to it when they get to it. It was maybe only 3 or 4 days, but not sure how long it actually took. I'll go do some searching for the reciept now.

Interesting, must have a good dealer. If that was what they did, that would be atleast a 2hr job--probably closer to 4hrs to be realistic. Not to mention the shimms needed to do the alignment in the rear hub or taking them out--not likely. So, that being the only adjustment point in the rear suspension (besides the shock), If they did anything to that extent, that would be the point. How long did they have the bike? $50 would cover the material---shimms, gear oil, and maybe a couple of seals/o-rings. Curious though. Interested in what the receipt says.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Here it is guys.

Resolution - Test drive, inspect, diagnose noise, loosen rear axle bolt, align rear wheel, torque in sequence.

.6 hours labor total of $45 + $2.25 shop supplies = $47.25

Doesn't sound like gears, just an axle alignment I guess.

Hope this helps you...good luck!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will check that out. Now I have to wait on an oil seal to come in :verymad:. Boogered it up checking out my Shaft.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Here it is guys.

Resolution - Test drive, inspect, diagnose noise, loosen rear axle bolt, align rear wheel, torque in sequence.

.6 hours labor total of $45 + $2.25 shop supplies = $47.25

Doesn't sound like gears, just an axle alignment I guess.

Hope this helps you...good luck!
Well, looks like you may have payed for them to tighten a brake bolt. The rear axle has no alignment point--no adjustment. The axle is fixed on the brake side and is fixed in the hub on the left. So, good dealer? looks like they just took your money-minus the brake bolt. With shaft drives, there is no rear axle adjustments at all----chain and belt drives are the ones with adjustments. If it solved your problem, it was the brake bolt being lose. Good that it solved it and I do not think they really overcharged you, but a bit dishonest with what they said.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Well, looks like you may have payed for them to tighten a brake bolt. The rear axle has no alignment point--no adjustment. The axle is fixed on the brake side and is fixed in the hub on the left. So, good dealer? looks like they just took your money-minus the brake bolt. With shaft drives, there is no rear axle adjustments at all----chain and belt drives are the ones with adjustments. If it solved your problem, it was the brake bolt being lose. Good that it solved it and I do not think they really overcharged you, but a bit dishonest with what they said.
Funny thing about that "alignment"... Reminds me of my dealer about 5 years ago claiming they needed to align the front wheel of my volusia by loosening the axle pinch bolts and pressing down on the front end to compress the forks a few times for "proper alignment" of the axle. Doesn't make any sense to me, but maybe there is something to loosening the rear and letting it "reseat" or something :dontknow:

-RT

1 - 20 of 23 Posts