M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have something going on with my "07 109 with only 210 miles on it, hopefully someone else have experienced the same thing. I hear and feel it around 2900 to 3300 RPM's in top gear mostly, what it sounds and feels like is there is a clunk in the bike and you are hitting bumps. What I think it is a cough or backfire in the intake. Does anyone have or has had this problem or do they all do it???

·
Registered
35 Posts
My gut feel tells me that it sounds like a dud plug ...misfiring .......although have not experienced this. Good luck anyhow.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Crazyspeed,
I have noticed the same thing on my 109. I've got 1600 miles or so and nothing has happened so far. It does not do it very often so I'm just gonna live with it for now.

Anybody else heard it?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Only issue with my bike at just under 1k mileage (with 1 weeks worth of riding time on it 8) ) was / is the smell of fuel while riding and when I first go out to the garage to take it out for a ride. As its the only vehicle in the garage I'm thinking it has to be coming from it. Did have the typical loud and rough shifting the first 700 miles or so, but after the oild change to synthetic it quieted right down.

·
Registered
775 Posts
i don't think i've heard the "clunk" noise; but, in top gear at lower rpms  2200 to 2500 mine sometimes feels a little jerky.  i believe , with mine, it's just the fuel injection giving steady fuel  with the bike moving a little slower than normal for that gear. i think any change in surface ( up/down) causes the bike to speed up and slow down but the f/i continues a steady stream wich causes the engine to move faster or slower than the actuall drive train is moving.  almost like catching and releasing the little bit of slack in a chain or rope. wich could also explain the "clunk" noise as the shaft catches as the engine matches up , one direction or the other, with the engine.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Having some bad weather in MN tonight so I was going to nut a bolt it tonight. I mainly hear the noise some where below me on the bike and I don't hear anything out the exhaust like a missfire. It reminds me of lean pop through throttle bodies :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
ppridgen1 said:
several members have reported that this is a sound made when a few different screws became loose or missing from the exhaust attachment points....check your bolts boyz!
Big +1 ................. blue loctite is your friend ;) :bigthumbsup: ...................... now if I could just get my heatsheilds to shut up :confused:

·
Registered
665 Posts
You can! Rip those stock pipes off there. :bigthumbsup:

G

·
I have heard the same clunk....and it sounds structural not anything with the engine or exhaust...I can feel it in the pegs too. :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
J R said:
Check where the frame bolts together under the engine.Mine where real loose when I was working on my bike i found one day :eek: ;)
Thanks for the heads up on that :bigthumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.