M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, Why would I buy an M90? Obviously an M109 is bigger and more powerful and more bling. I have riden one and enough grunt to tow a truck. I haven't been able to get a test ride on an M90 yet but I thought I would get some opinions. From a little research the only benefit of an M90 over an M109 is handling. That 240 tyre just doesn't like corners so they say. When I rode one I would have to agree, it was a handful going around roundabouts. So lets hear all the pros and cons.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have not rode a m90 but i think it all has a lot to do with what you want in a bike. If you want tons of raw, crazy, intoxicating power your going to go with the 9. if your not looking for that much power then the m90 might be for you. As far as the wide back tire making it hard to corner, i have never had any problems. i can grind the pegs all day if i want. I just ordered a 250mm tire actually. so as far as handling differences i dont think the big fat tire is too much of a downfall between the two bikes IMO:doorag:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Maybe the price? Here in NZ the 90 is 3-4k cheaper than a 109.
Perhaps the ergonomics? I'm a short a**e, the 90 fits me a lot better - the pegs are that little bit closer as are the bars etc.
What if you have no need of all that power the 109 has - when the throttle is twisted in 5th on the 90 there is still a satisfying surge forward from 100km/hr to 140km/hr in the blink of an eye. The 90 is no slouch. Especially compared to other 1500cc "cruisers". ;)

I've not ridden a 109 - I have sat on one at the dealer, and found it takes a heck of a lot more to lift off that stand and it was too large for me, so I tried the 90, it felt good right away.

Get a test ride under your belt, the 90 may just suit.

Cheers, Phil

·
Registered
743 Posts
the m90 corners alot better than the m109 i have ridden both sure if you want to lose your licence faster then buy the 109 but really the m90 has loads of power it is no slow coach and the price is what got me i thought why buy the 109 for $19000 and lose my licence for a year or more or buy a m 90 for $4000 less and could still lose the licence but not losing as much money

·
Registered
52 Posts
Price definitely has to be taken into consideration and the M90 is a really nice bike. I've ridden a 9 also and I would have to say the M90 handles better in curves. However the 9 is a pure beast!! If I had to say something negative about the M90 it would that there isn't enough aftermarket parts for it. Overall though its a really nice bike.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys thats a good start. Now don't laugh but currently I ride a Hyosung GV250. Any new bike is going to be a huge step up. This may also sound stupid but one of the reasons I like the 109 is the radiator shroud. It looks like it is supposed to be there. If the 90 had the same thing it would be a no brainer. I don't need huge power as I am a self confessed coward on a bike. I am 50 years old and have only been riding for 4 years. For a 4 year rider I consider myself a good (not great) rider. I do stupid things and think about it later (yeah I know, wrong order) but I will learn.

Price is also the big winner. I have looked at other cruisers and the Boulevards are just soooo much more affordable.

I look forward to getting some more comments. It would be nice if the dealers here would have some testers available. Even so I hope to have a 90 or 109 in a few months.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PS. Anyone in Melbourne willing to let me have a ride? ? ? ? ?

·
Registered
267 Posts
:welcome: to the forum,If your going to buy new as I did the 90 is a great buy and with the amount of speed camerers we have you will lose your licence on your maiden voyage anyway but if it's used there are some great 109 buys on bikepoint at the moment .As far as the shroud goes if you get the 90,just order the Corbin shroud and an irate grill and for under $400 you fix that problem:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
303 Posts
As far as the 109 radiator shroud being a selling point, there was a thread I saw on here a few days ago where somebody put a 109 shroud on a 90. My wife may be getting a 90 in a couple months so I'm also interested in a shroud and have heard, (and saw pics on here) that the Cobra one doesn't fit quite right.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
As far as the 109 radiator shroud being a selling point, there was a thread I saw on here a few days ago where somebody put a 109 shroud on a 90.
Yeah somebody claims to have put one on, but he's not sharing how he did it...I doubt he did it himself though. Mike is working on the mod and I'm certain he'll share.

I have the 240 on the rear and I didn't notice a big difference in turning. Both bikes are pretty much the same weight also. I went with the M90 based on price, which if I could do it all over I'd go with the M109R.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
That's why the color yellow makes me sad!

If you can't handle a 240 rear tire, Then Maybe we should chug on over to Mamby Pamby Land where maybe we can find some confidence for you, you jackwagon.

Just get the M109!

You sound like a big "Meow Meow" to me.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
109 comes with some "nature of the beast" quirks and ego :joke: not all but a good few have second gear issues , oil puking and a few other things, been around long enough to see my fair share of :'( threads and i'm sueing suzuki threads

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
The M.90 is ok Great intermediae bike or perfect if you dont want the weight or power of the mighty 9. I dont think the 240 tire is a problem to turn that is why I steped up to the 250 club.
Thats why thereare so many makes and models to choose from everyone likes differant things.:bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts