M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just change over to amsoil tonight and boy the chatter in neutral is gone :bigthumbsup: Haven't rode it yet. Lamonster thanks for your how to and marking that bottle. :bigthumbsup:

On to the point, look how much I got out of her and I haven't had any puking. I'm going to unplug the drain tomorrow to see what comes out of the left breather ? Also for those who don't have floor jacks I took the oil wrench and cut the handles off at the curve and it works great got it at wally world. But who ever put that thing on torqued the hell out of it. I really don't think they changed my oil on the first service since they changed it at 150mi due to overfill issue and I took it back at 574mi for the first service. Is the oil suppose to look like this ? When I swirled it around with my finger it looked like chocolate swirl. Also the oil had a tint of green to it. I know about motor oil but not like this, but I have never changed it before it was time either.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
believe it or not the filter is supposed to be that tight! the service manual states two turns after the filter seats. you will either need the Suzuki oil filter wrench for the Suzuki filter to tighten it that tight without buggering up the filter or if you use another brand filter that uses a flat rubber seal you can just do it like a car filter which is 3/4 turn after seated. They say it is because the Suzuki filter has an o-ring seal. Another option I use is the K & N oil filter #138, same one the Busa uses. It has a 17mm nut on the end and makes tightening and loosening a breeze. It too uses an o-ring seal so must be tightened 2 turns but is much easier to do. My oil came out brand new looking at 600 miles. There were metal shavings on the magnetic drain plugs then. The final drive oil was kinda dirty at 600 miles but I refilled with Amsoil 75-90w synthetic gear lube. I did check both engine oil and final drive oil amounts by measuring how much came out. 4 quarts of oil out of the engine, 4 quarts back in. Be careful refilling though, you will only get about 3 quarts in before it overflows and runs all over the bike and ground. I put 3 in then started it just for a second then shut it off and added the last quart. checked it per the Suzuki method and it was right on. That was using Suzuki oil and filter at the 600 mile change. The final drive drained amount was a little low with only 5 ozs coming out. Some metal on the drain plug magnet. Put the recommended 7 ozs back in (Amsoil) and it was right at the top of the threads with bike upright. I did another motor oil change at 1200 miles. The oil came out clean again but no shavings on the drain plug. This time I only got 3.8 quarts out of it maybe because I only warmed it up for 10 minutes or so. I used the k & n oil filter withe the nut on the end (#138) and Repsol 10-50w full synthetic oil (got a deal at Cycle Gear). Same as last time just added 3 quarts and oil is almost at the top of the dipstick hole. Start it for a second then added the other 0.8 of a quart. Shifting is noticeably smoother and engine seems quieter plus either the oil or the break in has upped my overall mileage from 39 mpg to 41 mpg. :bigthumbsup:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts