M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the 9 got some new wheels chrome factory good looking stuff, last week. I need a new tire put on this week and too it in to the dealer to have the replacement tire installed and when they tried to remove the axel bolt it would not turn off easily. The dealer didn't want to strand me so they tried to screw the axel bolt back on and it wouldn't go back on, so they continued to take the axel bolt off to find that the threads on the outer end of the axel had been removed and the bolt beginning threads were chewed up.

So the thousand dollar question is when was the axel mis threaded. Was the axel mis threaded when the wheels were installed or were the threades messed up when the delear went to change the tire. All in all I now need a new axel before my machine will be back on the supper concreate slab.

Is it possibe to fawl the threads on an axel removing the axel nut or is it only possible to screw these threads up on entry.

Please let me know what you think. They are both pointing the finger at each other. :eek::cus:

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
just tell them to split the cost:-\

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
When it goes in clean it should come back out clean, so it got messed up the last time somebody tightened it down.

·
Registered
159 Posts
:agree: threads CANNOT cross thread coming off. It had to be when installed. The only issue that you can have taking a nut or bolt off, is if there is dissimalar metal (stainless into aluminum, etc) then the metals could seize together. Just a bit of anti-seize will take care of that though.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
The stealers fail once again. I had a stealer use a pipe wrench on the nut and munged it all up. Had to take a grinder and clean it up. That was the last strew.

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,770 Posts
The stealers fail once again. I had a stealer use a pipe wrench on the nut and munged it all up. Had to take a grinder and clean it up. That was the last strew.
There's nothing worse than the last strew! :a20:

·
Registered
960 Posts
I agree with the above statements, whomever installed it last messed it up.
And probably did the damage using an air impact wrench too would be my guess.

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
When it goes in clean it should come back out clean, so it got messed up the last time somebody tightened it down.
:agree: You need to start doing the work yourself. That way you have no one to blame but you. Or find a local guy who knows your bike. BigPapa and I have worked on many local members bikes.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WEEL

At this point the installer is saying he hand tightened the bolt back on and he does all of his work himself, but in the bitter end from the post it was the person who put it on last that messed up the threads either by hand or by air wrench.

Thanks for all of your post guys. I'm still stuck in the middle without a bike. I'm just going to have to put my foot down and put the blame on the installer of my chrome rims. The dealer has had this wheel off a thousand times and never messed it up. The installer of my new chrome wheels takes it off once and screws the whole thing up. He owes me a new axel and the time and labor for the install. Thanks again. :agree::hot::a18:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Sounds like the axle has been hit in with a hammer and damaged the thread while going through the caliper bracket.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts