M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen the issue come up many times where the fuel filter is black and is causing the engine to run poorly. There's a couple of things about this subject that have me completely baffled. What's in gas that makes this filter so filthy, and why is it necessary to filter this stuff out? The 109 has a fuel filter built into the fuel pump itself, so why the need for a 2nd filter? I've never changed the fuel filter in my car, it's got 232K miles on it, and it runs as good today as the day I purchased it. If my car's engine can deal with burning whatever this crap is in the gas that's turning this filter black, then why can't the 109? It almost seems to me that Suzuki decided to install this filter more as a business decision rather than from an engineering standpoint. They realized they could make money by selling replacement filters at ridiculously high prices. It couldn't possibly cost Suzuki more than a dollar or two to make this filter. There's nothing to it. It's pure profit. I'd be willing to bet if you removed this filter and replaced it with a straight piece of fuel line, you'd never know the difference.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I agree. That is why I went a bit different route over a year ago---still running great.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
The screen is to pick up any sediment in the bottom of the tank that the filter may have missed. Autos are set up the same way. Over time, rust forms inside the tank and particles will begin to loosen and float. Also the poor quality of gasoline's in use today isn't helping either. It doesn't take much to clog an injector, so IMO it's better then not having it and replacing them once in a while over having injector problems.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The screen is to pick up any sediment in the bottom of the tank that the filter may have missed. Autos are set up the same way. Over time, rust forms inside the tank and particles will begin to loosen and float. Also the poor quality of gasoline's in use today isn't helping either. It doesn't take much to clog an injector, so IMO it's better then not having it and replacing them once in a while over having injector problems.
That doesn't explain why my car can go 200K+ miles without changing the filter, when the 109 filter needs to be replaced about every 10K miles. Does the gas somehow get filthier in a 109s tank than it does in my cars tank? I'm not trying to be rude, I really don't understand the need for 2 fuel filters in the 109's system.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
That doesn't explain why my car can go 200K+ miles without changing the filter, when the 109 filter needs to be replaced about every 10K miles. Does the gas somehow get filthier in a 109s tank than it does in my cars tank? I'm not trying to be rude, I really don't understand the need for 2 fuel filters in the 109's system.
2? Where's the second?

FutureR prolly isn't going to say what he did, because it isn't recommended. Many have done it and not had any issues. But use your imagination and I'm sure you can figure out what he used or what he didn't use.;) Also I'm sure the car's in tank filter has a little bit more surface space than the 9's.:bigthumbsup:

I wouldn't personally do it, but that's my choice. I change the fuel filter regardless every two years. I will change mine again this spring.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Couldn't tell ya. Guess you just got lucky w/ the car. I'm just telling you why they do it, nothing more. Could be the 9 is more sensitive to the additives and more susceptible to problems then your car is.

Oh yeah, what kinda car:dontknow:

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Couldn't tell ya. Guess you just got lucky w/ the car. I'm just telling you why they do it, nothing more. Could be the 9 is more sensitive to the additives and more susceptible to problems then your car is.

Oh yeah, what kinda car:dontknow:
'99 Corolla.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
'99 Corolla.
The filter in those is MUCH bigger then that of a motorcycle thus leaving more room for filtration. IMO, just cause you haven't changed it, doesn't mean it doesn't need it. I can guarantee you it does. But that's another topic in itself. "Preventive maintenance"

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Well, I also caught what Grampi saw with the two filters. My TL1000R only has one filter and is Injected also. I just replaced another fuel filter in Dozers bike that was only a year old---black to the core. I also thought about a normal vehicle also. So, after the '09 meet, I was having problems even getting back from Columbus, OH. I knew it was the fuel filter and ordered one as soon as I got back. It arrived and I got everything apart---terrible black. Well, in the process of replacing the filter, I did what a few others had done and popped the top off the filter and damaged the filter trying to get it to snap back together. So, I was not about to be down another 2 weeks waiting on a filter. So, I looked into the design of the pump and thought about our filtering process. I found that I could not comprehend a valid reason to filter out that small off microns. No way would it hurt the pump or the injectors. So, I used the outer screens of the damaged filter and cut them large enough to fit over the pump intake nozel where the filter is supposed to attach. I set the first screen and then set the second cross hatched over the first. I then used a fuel approved zip tie to fasten them to the nozel. Now, I used the screens to keep the larger particles out---if they were to ever exist. The bike has ran flawlessly since that date. No, this is not for the faint at heart and may not suite all minds. I would never do this on a customers bike and thus far may not recommend it to anyone else. However, the fix fit the need and has had no ill effects on the bike. Flog away!

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Ive been running with out the screen for a year now. No Problems!!!

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
When I swapped tanks out

I took the old filter off 10,000 miles and yes it was pretty black. Gave it a shot of carb cleaner and blew it out with air compressor. I didn't put the nozzle right into the hole of the filter, held it about 3-4 " away with only about 40 PSI, and it blew all that black chit right out. Put back in a white filter. Will see how long that works. Availability is my biggest thing right now, so that's what I did.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Mivo...Bigpapa Has been here along time! He has more post than you can count. I think he can make a joke now and then...Harris I will give you a call tomorrow. I've been backed up with lots of work. I'll be making a trip your way soon..with lots of drink & food! lol

1 - 20 of 37 Posts