M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
J R said:
Well we are at 68 inches now 72 might look right :dontknow: :bigthumbsup: See if you can draw one to scale and try different looks when ya get the time :bigthumbsup: I mentioned a long time ago I thought that extending the swingarm would be a cool look :bigthumbsup: also might as well widen it :evil:
Actually I am the most concerned about the driveshaft. I was a little worried about extending the one on the VTX1300 but that engine is about 65HP. How safe will an extended driveshaft be on a 109? Not too sure myself.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hey , thats your Knueter valve body......gotta have somewhere to pour your blinker fluid....... :joke:

That is a wicked VTX, I likeee.....

J R makes some good points , wonder how it would look with it a few inches longer and everything lowered accordingly ......then the rake.....have fun.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
J R said:
I like that bike :bigthumbsup: You still have it or is that the one ya sold ? It looks great Hal :evil: :bigthumbsup: :doorag:
A Trooper up in New York bought it and hauled it home. He says he is the big dog now in his town.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
J R said:
Well I once did it in the 80,s to a v-max and used part of a C.V joint shaft from a car that was about the length I needed and then did the ends ect and it held up till i went to a chain conversion. Im sure you could do somthing similar.Just make a whole new shaft a little bigger in diameter :dontknow: If they can make um hold up in these kids front wheel drive cars Im sure ya could come up with somthing that will hold :doorag:
The VTX driveshaft had a Rockwell hardness # of something like 85. A local shaft builder wanted $1,000 to build a new one that met that hardness.

And here is my baby when it went away:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. I may not have a way to get them home. I will let you know.

By the way if the M109 is: 68 inches

Here are the numbers from the VTX1300 when it was done:

Axle to axle wheelbase is now 79 inches

A stock 1300C is 64.45
A stock 1800C is 67.6

So we are now 14.55 inches longer than the stock 1300C and 11.4 inches longer than the 1800C.

·
Registered
775 Posts
hahaha i spent 10 minutes trying to figure out what the pic up there was ^^^. thought it was some kind of contest lol. but but but the picture was kinda fuzzy and low light lol.

·
Registered
267 Posts
HalGreenlee said:
The VTX driveshaft had a Rockwell hardness # of something like 85. A local shaft builder wanted $1,000 to build a new one that met that hardness.

And here is my baby when it went away:

I'm sure you can get a machine shop to make one and then have it hardened. It shouldn't be $1,000. Take it to a mchinist instead of a mechanic/auto machinist. The Guy you took it to probably knows he can get $$$$ for it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
montoya32 said:
I'm sure you can get a machine shop to make one and then have it hardened. It shouldn't be $1,000. Take it to a mchinist instead of a mechanic/auto machinist. The Guy you took it to probably knows he can get $$$$ for it.
The costly problem was the tooling required to cut the metric splines. And he was only doing one. Rob from BCC finally just cut my shaft and added a piece. But every time I rode that bike I kept thinking that some day the shaft will be coming out of the swingarm housing and into my leg.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Think that is about one of the best looking custom VTX's I've seen...nothing over the top and you can never go wrong with plain ol' black paint.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
This has to be one of the best VS800 Choppers I've seen. He made a new gear box to extend the swingarm...and I foget the details but may have used the swing arm from a VS1400. He also, as you can see, mounted a 240 rear tire.

More info on various links: link1, link2.

This is the same bike I ride (look at my sig). You'll notice the differences in the gear box/shaft drive areas.

·
Registered
31 Posts
HalGreenlee said:
The costly problem was the tooling required to cut the metric splines. And he was only doing one. Rob from BCC finally just cut my shaft and added a piece. But every time I rode that bike I kept thinking that some day the shaft will be coming out of the swingarm housing and into my leg.
If you cut ours in half and added a piece I don't think I would worry too much. You would need to undercut both joints, fill with groove weld and grind to remove any extra buildup (perhaps even turn it back down on a lathe). The most difficult part would be keeping the thing true after welding. I don't believe hardness would be an issue as the heat affected zone of the weld should carry a greater hardness value.

The biggest concern for me would be balance. The longer the driveshaft (especially with non-homogeneous material) the more possibility of vibration from an out-of-balance shaft.

Just my $.02

-Jeff

1 - 20 of 23 Posts