M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After running a Dunnie E3 250 on the rear for the last year, I finely needed to replace the front tire at 10,000 miles (not bad!). I purchased a stock size E3 to match my E3 rear and WOW!!!! I should have done it a LONG time ago. I had no idea how much better it would feel. I am way more confident on the corners, it just feels more secure. The switch to the Dunnie E3 on the rear was great, but I never thought that it would make such a difference on the front. I am extremely happy.
E3 on the rear is awesome, matching E3's are the shi+!

If your thinking about it, stop! Just do it! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Wait until he tries the Metzelers!!!

-Josh
If he thinks as I do, he ain't gonna pay twice as much for a narrower tire that only lasts half as long as the Dunlop.

Metzeler, best seen, and left on store tire rack.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
If he thinks as I do, he ain't gonna pay twice as much for a narrower tire that only lasts half as long as the Dunlop.

There are plenty of 109 riders that would disagree with you on that.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't like the bead on the E3 in stock width. It looks like it isn't wide enough to make it to the lip.
And here I was feeling so good about it and now I'm afraid the wheels going to fall off the rim! Not really. Can't quite see how going with the stock size can be a bad thing, but I value your opinion BP. It's mine now so I guess we'll see how it goes. :-\

·
Registered
4,008 Posts

Well, if he thinks as I do, He'd fatten up the front end with a 160/60 Metzeler and round off the back with a 260/40. If he rode like I do, he'd make sure the tires on the bike, though slightly more expensive, would maintain a solid footprint as he twists the throttle through the corners. Not to bash on purvistechie, but I"ve tested out the Metzelers, Dunlops, and Avons myself to give myself a fair and honest test of treadlife and traction. I'm not trying to take away from his jubliation found by his tire choice. I got a mere 500 more miles out of the Dunlop than the Metz, and I couldn't wait to replace it.

-Josh

·
Radio Active Member
27,687 Posts
I'm running the stock size E3 on my front. So is Bigpapa also. :eek: :eek:

My only problem with them is that it seems to be hit or miss with getting a high speed vibration. I would prefer not to mix but when my next tire is due, I'm going to run with a Metzler up front and the E3 on the rear.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
And here I was feeling so good about it and now I'm afraid the wheels going to fall off the rim! Not really. Can't quite see how going with the stock size can be a bad thing, but I value your opinion BP. It's mine now so I guess we'll see how it goes. :-\
There is nothing wrong with it, my 109 had a 240 E3 on it when I bought it. But it just didn't look right to me with the rim hanging out past the tire on both sides. It isn't like a car where parallel parking can cause curb rash, but it is something to watch out for.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

My only problem with them is that it seems to be hit or miss with getting a high speed vibration. I would prefer not to mix but when my next tire is due, I'm going to run with a Metzler up front and the E3 on the rear.
Well that's good to know, at least I'm not alone. Time may change my opinion but for now, I'm happy.

How high do you have to go for the vibration?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Just got new E3s on the front & back. 130 on front & 250 on back. The shop balanced the front & said they couldn't do the back because it was too big for their balancer. Had the bike up to 100+ MPH yesterday and felt a very slight vibration. Not sure if it's because the back tire is out of balance or not. May have dynabeads in it by the weekend.

I did surprise a cager when I was getting on the interstate. The guy was behind me on the ramp and was getting rather close so, me being the nice guy that I am, I slowed down on the ramp to about 15 mph. Got fairly close to the end and then just let her rip. Cut back on the throttle when I hit around 110. I could tell he punched it but I never saw him again.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I just installed new front and rear E3s on mine yesterday, what a difference! 2nd full set, I love them.
How do you get a 260 on? I had to let the air out and it was still a squeeze job getting the 250 past the gear hub. Do you have to take the drive shaft assembly loose or is it the same width?

·
Registered
4,515 Posts

That's the setup I am currently running. I can say I'm happy! No vibes, no abnormal tire wear and front tire is still going strong, outlasted a metz 280, 260 and currently on a dunny 250.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I just installed new front and rear E3s on mine yesterday, what a difference! 2nd full set, I love them.
How do you get a 260 on? I had to let the air out and it was still a squeeze job getting the 250 past the gear hub. Do you have to take the drive shaft assembly loose or is it the same width?
The 250 is actually slightly wider then the 260 metz when mounted but the 260 has a rounded profile

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Going with the stock size is definitely not a bad thing. The E3 tire is thinner than the stock dunnie that comes with it. I worry about the fact that the tire doesn't actually go all the way to the lip of the rim.

just loosen the 3 nuts to the hub. You can buy yourself another 1/4" of room which is all you need.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I've found regardless of which tire you go with, a new set always feels so much better than what you had on there. After the new tires start to wear and you replace them, you will think the new ones are way better than the old again.
Truth is, you forget what the handling is like with a new tire until you replace them again.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts