M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay every since I can remember I've want a bike with chrome wheels(not spoak) well I now know that coastal moto wheels are priced at the lowest in the market...right that's still too high! lol why so high? anyone know? well anyways now I've turned my attention toward performance so my next question is what is the best performing and sounding 2n2 1 exhaust out there! lol yeah I know the rims are grown men items now but believe me when I say this I will have them! lol so back to bringing the noise! I really dig the velocity pro but the side burner really sounds kick a$$ and they both cost around the same price! I also have a hook up that can get them cheaper the anyone I've seen so far! so what do you guys and gals think???? go ahead take off the gloves and let me have it!!!! My buddy IonE is rolling stocker exhaust drilled out with a power comander! that sounds awesome but my bike is only 800miles new and I would rather sell my stocker before cutting it up! and question number three now comeith... I seen someone selling bone stock m109r exhaust for like 700 bucks!!! can I post my stockers for that much or even close to that much or was that guy a flippin tard? just asking that's it for now

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have the Road Burners 2 into 1 and love them. They rumble when I want them too. I got a lot of compliments the other day from guys saying they heard my bike over the three harley's i was riding with. :bigthumbsup: Goos luck with whatever you get though. The mod bug will officially bite you and she bites hard.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
The Velocity Pro's are pretty good, I like the Sideburners for the looks as well as the sound!! Yes, the guy asking $600-$700 is too high in my opinion as well as others! They list for $2400-$2600 from the factory but you'll probably never get $200 for them on here. Most, either get new pipes all together or buy the slip-ons for alot less money!!

About the wheels being so high, it's more than likely that they charge more due to the fact that your only buying 2 wheels! Cheaper to make 4 for a car :dontknow:

Hope this helps you out and :welcome: to the site, oh and before everybody jumps you, try the search button for all your questions first as most of the common question have been asked many times!!

Don

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
okay every since I can remember I've want a bike with chrome wheels(not spoak) well I now know that coastal moto wheels are priced at the lowest in the market...right that's still too high! lol why so high? anyone know? well anyways now I've turned my attention toward performance so my next question is what is the best performing and sounding 2n2 1 exhaust out there! lol yeah I know the rims are grown men items now but believe me when I say this I will have them! lol so back to bringing the noise! I really dig the velocity pro but the side burner really sounds kick a$$ and they both cost around the same price! I also have a hook up that can get them cheaper the anyone I've seen so far! so what do you guys and gals think???? go ahead take off the gloves and let me have it!!!! My buddy IonE is rolling stocker exhaust drilled out with a power comander! that sounds awesome but my bike is only 800miles new and I would rather sell my stocker before cutting it up! and question number three now comeith... I seen someone selling bone stock m109r exhaust for like 700 bucks!!! can I post my stockers for that much or even close to that much or was that guy a flippin tard? just asking that's it for now
i see you are a newer member. :welcome: to the board. try doing a search of the topics that you posted about, there is a ton of info on here and those questions have all been asked innumerable times. motorcycle accessories cost more because that is the way it is plain and simple. i don't understand why 2 motorcycle wheels cost more than 4 automobile wheels and tires combined , but that is the way things are.

as for the exhaust, they usually go for $100 or so on this board, and some members even give them away to local people who can pick them up. you can try selling them for more, but you will get flamed on this board if you do. just a fair warning.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My suggestion to you is wrap your stock pipes up and put into storage. The resale value is around 100 bucks for mint condition. If you are putting on custom pipes and ever go to sell your bike, put the stock back on and sell your aftermarlet pipes separately. You can recoupe at least half for aftermarket pipes, but does not add to the selling price as much....(just my opinion).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks everyone, and yes I am new to the post and I should have used the search on the board...ha ha but some times its good to hear a fresh response!!!:p I wasn't trying to put anyone out...Thanks for the reply's either way. Good to hear from you guys!:bow:

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
Any toys like a bike, boat and horses costs more $$. My guess is that it would be that they do not sell the volume that car parts are sold out.

As far as pipes, go to a meet or get together with some local riders. That way you can see them and hear them on a bike before you spend your hard earned $$$.

:congrats: and :welcome: to the forum also.

·
Registered
195 Posts
They sell for that much because people pay it. Period. If they didn't sell the price would go down. Plus I don't think there is anywhere near the demand for motorcycle wheels as there is for auto wheels. They can do one large run of wheels that fit a number of different cars. Bike wheels are different. Each bike has a different hub design so there are separate production runs for each fitment. The production run is short for each fitment and short production runs = more $$.

An example would be a set of 18" wheels for a Ford F150 may cost $250 or less per wheel. $1000 for four wheels. A set of 18" wheels for a M109R from Coastal Moto is around $2700. $1200-1500 per wheel.

This is because there are hundreds of thousands more F150s than there are M109Rs. Higher consumer pool = lower prices.

Oh and BTW the Velocity 2 into 1's are badass! Rode with 5 Harley guys the other day and all they could talk about was how good my pipes sounded (and how fast my bike was! :D). Good bunch of guys. Not the type that think if its not Harley its crap.

I haven't heard a Sideburner in person but when I got mine I was looking at those and the Velocities.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Ill make a good deal for you on V&H BigShots and BigAir intakes....

800 miles means its pretty much broken in. I did my pipes, pc3, k&n drop in's and dyno tuning during my 600 miles service. On the dyno my bike was tuned on it put down 118hp 108tq. Then one yeah I put it up on a dyno at bike week and it put down 122hp. One guy with a stock 9 said the dyno was reading really high so he put his stock 9, which had a TRE, on the dyno it put down like 100hp. Needless to say he changed his mind about it reading too high lol. I never got my bike tuned with the bigair kit so I don't know what it could put down. Maybe 3-5 more HP.

·
Seasoned Member
7,635 Posts
okay every since I can remember I've want a bike with chrome wheels(not spoak) well I now know that coastal moto wheels are priced at the lowest in the market...right that's still too high! lol why so high? anyone know?......
Because you're comparing the price of CNC machined & forged chromed billet aluminum wheels to typical mass-produced chromed cast aluminum wheels. Depending on the design complexity and quality, one wheel could take up to a week for the machining process alone. During that time, you could have cast thousands of wheels.

Check out the prices for the same in automotive wheels... CNC machined & forged chromed billet aluminum wheels in 109 equivalent sizes... they're about the same price as bike wheels.

I surprised no one has asked why manufacturers haven't start producing less expensive chromed cast aluminum wheels for bikes... minimal demand and it's less expensive to just chrome your stock wheels. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
They sell for that much because people pay it. Period. If they didn't sell the price would go down. Plus I don't think there is anywhere near the demand for motorcycle wheels as there is for auto wheels. They can do one large run of wheels that fit a number of different cars. Bike wheels are different. Each bike has a different hub design so there are separate production runs for each fitment. The production run is short for each fitment and short production runs = more $$.

An example would be a set of 18" wheels for a Ford F150 may cost $250 or less per wheel. $1000 for four wheels. A set of 18" wheels for a M109R from Coastal Moto is around $2700. $1200-1500 per wheel.

This is because there are hundreds of thousands more F150s than there are M109Rs. Higher consumer pool = lower prices.

Oh and BTW the Velocity 2 into 1's are badass! Rode with 5 Harley guys the other day and all they could talk about was how good my pipes sounded (and how fast my bike was! :D). Good bunch of guys. Not the type that think if its not Harley its crap.

I haven't heard a Sideburner in person but when I got mine I was looking at those and the Velocities.
:agree: totally. If the majority of bike owners would not buy the wheels that are available, the manufactures and distributors would have no choice but to lower their prices in order to move their product/inventory. As long a folks keep paying the current prices, they will never go down to a lower cost. As for the exhaust question you posted...I believe that the best exhaust system for the M109R in terms of looks, performance, and sound is the Raw Performance Exhaust, hands down. I think most of the guys on this forum will agree that there is not a better exhaust system out there at this time. The cost is $859.00. I also like the Chrome SideBurner(Short) exhast as well. Primarily you would be getting a pipe that is loud, and looks pretty good. I don't think you get much out of it as far as performance goes. Also, you might want to check with your local County or District Clerks office, to see if there is a loud exhaust ordinance in place or being strongly considered. I have heard that there are many counties and states that are pushing for this. It would be a big waste of money to get a really loud exhaust system that will cause you to get cited every time you ride it. Regarding your stock exhaust, you might as well wrap it up, and store it away somewhere in case you decide to sell the bike some day. As stated, put the stock exhaust back on, and sell the aftermarket exhaust separately.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Here is something to consider when it comes to accessories for a motorcycle and the high cost. A motorcycle is first and foremost a toy. The companies know this and if you can afford a bike you can afford the extras that come along with it.

There are some deals out there you just have to do your research...I want some new rims too...but I have to stack some chips to pull it all off. Enjoy and Happy Father's Day you are a dad!

·
Registered
175 Posts
As others have mentioned economies of scale definitly come into play. You have a mechanical engineer who had do his thing on CAD and the maintainence and depreciation on the equiptment, the guy you have to pay to set up and run the machine, Facility costs, Lot fee's, raw material at all time highs for those giant hunks of aluminum blocks, shipping cost to the plater if not done in-house, paying the plater, AP, Shipping, yada yada.

Example: $50,000 total "fixed" cost for tooling, engineering, etc divided into 500,000 Ford F150 customers equals .10 cents fixed cost per unit.

Same example $50,000 divided by 500 customers (how many M109r owners are there and how many will want that specific rim desig) equals $100 fixed cost per unit.

Oversimplified but you get the jist.

Class dismissed. :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Wow consider me learned...Thank you that was hella insightful!!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
No problem. Its good to be on the giving end of info every once in a while! On this board there's a lot of info from a lot of smart people and it seems I'm taking all of the time.

Have you decided on the pipes yet?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts