M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
A measly 1500 mi here but hope to rack up many more trouble-free miles in the future ;)
P.s.. this is the only bike out of many that my wife has actually been comfortable and enjoyed being on the back of.. that will help with getting more miles as well

·
Registered
256 Posts
That's a REALLY good looking bike! Ho\s she ruiinin, at 80k? Any major problems, so far?
Thanks! That is her baby. Runs strong but is burning oil. Pretty positive I need to do her rings. Since I am doing that, she is getting a full tear down and and new bearings as well this winter. These bikes usually burn oil as the cylinders are coated with nikasol and the rings don't ever really seat all the way. I can see her blowing out the exhaust on widen open throttle. Gottatooz on here has 105k on his.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! That is her baby. Runs strong but is burning oil. Pretty positive I need to do her rings. Since I am doing that, she is getting a full tear down and and new bearings as well this winter. These bikes usually burn oil as the cylinders are coated with nikasol and the rings don't ever really seat all the way. I can see her blowing out the exhaust on widen open throttle. Gottatooz on here has 105k on his.
I doubt it's the rings. The nikasol really never wears out. It's more likely to the the valve stem seals. Pour about 4-5 ounces of dot 3 brake fluid inti the crankacase. DON'T WORRY - I've done this, hundreds of times - literally. It won't hurt anything. Watch, as she stops burning oil :)

·
Registered
536 Posts
Their is a guy named Josh Makes it to the MAM every couple years with his DAD
Hit 100,000 miles about 3 .5 years ago .Still had the same clutch in it also !
Maybe we will see him this year ,From what I no he really didn’t have any trouble with
The bike ! It was a faded blue bike ,he was fun to ride with !

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe we will see him this year ,From what I no he really didn’t have any trouble with
Kewl. What is the MAM?

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,524 Posts
Kewl. What is the MAM?
The MAM is the Mid Atlantic Meet. It's held annually in Staunton VA. There's a thread on it on the General board, and you can find a thread on it from every year. It's been held since around 2007. It moved around to different places in VA and NC, and once in WV, but I think its permanent home is in Staunton. It actually begins in a little over a week.

Josh is the Gottatooz that BigPapaXCT mentioned above.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Bike broke down last week on the blue ridge. Rear cylinder is not working. He is working through it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I doubt it's the rings. The nikasol really never wears out. It's more likely to the the valve stem seals. Pour about 4-5 ounces of dot 3 brake fluid inti the crankacase. DON'T WORRY - I've done this, hundreds of times - literally. It won't hurt anything. Watch, as she stops burning oil :)
I spoke with FutureR in here who has rebuilt these engines a ton about this. I have done many myself but haven't had any burning oil. He has never seen a valve stem seal bad. I plan on checking them when I am in there. I agree that the nikasol doesn't wear but since I am in there I am still doing the rings. Makes no sense not too. I have a spare transmission from R&D so doing that as well even though she has no second gear issues. I won't put brake fluid in there. Even though it is a small amount, I worry about it swelling any seals. I might run some seafiam in it before next oil change.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I spoke with FutureR in here who has rebuilt these engines a ton about this. I have done many myself but haven't had any burning oil. He has never seen a valve stem seal bad. I plan on checking them when I am in there. I agree that the nikasol doesn't wear but since I am in there I am still doing the rings. Makes no sense not too. I have a spare transmission from R&D so doing that as well even though she has no second gear issues. I won't put brake fluid in there. Even though it is a small amount, I worry about it swelling any seals. I might run some seafiam in it before next oil change.
OK. Your choice. But swelling old seals is what might save you a teardown.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A measly 1500 mi here but hope to rack up many more trouble-free miles in the future ;)
P.s.. this is the only bike out of many that my wife has actually been comfortable and enjoyed being on the back of.. that will help with getting more miles as well
Sounds like you found one, too. Mine had less than 2,000 miles on the day I bought her.

Had her for about a month, now - pushing 3,000 miles, no doubt! My bike will literally last forever - I know how to make that happen. Teflon, and 15w40 rotella dino oil :)

I'm just now beginning to be able to ride her - not confidently, just yet - but soon. Sold my FJR yesterday. As I rode "The Real Deal' for the last time I was impressed, once more, by just how ungainly and downright uncomfortable she was. Win-win situation, there. I was glad and the new owner could not stop gushing...

I always give my machines names. The 109 was a hard one. Whale? Godzilla? Black Beauty? Hmmm... Finally, it came to me: Brutus.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts