M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've drilled the 3 baffles and did the 8 holes, sounds much better but still missing that certain something. Those who went to the Big shots, what did you think? Happy? Do you run with or without the baffles? Are they easy to change? Thanks for any input!!:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I never drilled my stock exhaust.
However, I have the bigshots and the baffels come out easy, say 10 min.
You can alter the system by eliminating the packing, eliminating the baffels all together or drilling out the center of the baffels.
My set-up is drilled out and re-packed. I like the softer sound the Bigshots offer at cruising speed but wanted more sound when I opened it up.
My set-up is not as loud (at idle and parking lot speeds) as a drilled stock exhaust. I am basing this on comparing to an LE I saw at Deals Gap last weekend.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I went to the big shots and cored/drilled my baffles and I love them! Nice Rumble!

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I've seen & heard the Big Shots. Vance & Hines always make good sounding pipes and the Big Shots are no different. You'd be happy with the sound and Hunt1moore is right on with the sounding options.

My main beef with the V&H Big Shots for the M109R isn't quality, isn't the nice sound........it's the squared off looking headers. The stock pipes have the much nicer/smoother rounded header pipes and it matches the contours of the bike better. Just my opinion. Not sure why V&H couldn't have done a better job with the header pipes design :dontknow:

Did you just "drill" out the centers of the stock baffles? If so you need to do this mod first http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133023 before you spend the coin on aftermarket. This mod greatly improves the rumble & volume to the sound.

Vance Hines headers on the left pic. Stock pipe headers on the right pic.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I did. I experimented with the baffles in the Big Shots...

Baffle in ~ much like a drilled stock sound.

Baffle removed ~ insanely loud.

Baffle in with no fabric ~ nice but too loud

I ended up with the baffles in but with 1/2 the fabric and I think it's perfect.

·
Registered
356 Posts
In the process of doing this to my wife's 9. I had drilled out the 3 baffles and did the 8 holes in the end caps and it still wasn't loud enough for her. Fortunately, we have ridden with a few other 9's with the big shots and she loved the sound. So big shots is what she ended up with. Can't wait for the first Harley to pull up next to her and rev up. She will totally blast him :D then smoke his ass for good measure. Also, my father-in-law who is Harley through and through heard a 9 with the big shots and had to admit it sounded better than any bike he has ever heard. Best sounding pipes for the 9 imho. If I didn't like the look of the velocity pro so much I would have the big shots for my 9 also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts