M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did.

I read the manual and read it again and battled for 15 minutes to get the fuel connector off, all the while balancing the tank, blissfully unaware that i was grinding the speedo bezel ( hanging off to the left ) between the hbars and the tank seam and the other end of the tank gnawing away at the body panel, left side under the seat that houses the key hole for releasing the seat.

Im so annoyed. The bezel looks like someone used it for a chopping board and the body panel looks like rats ate halfway through the plastic .

And im not even totally useless. I built a 1800m2 4 story house with my own hands for heavens sake !

Is the speedo bezel available without the guages ?
Are they seperable ?
Is it possible or worth it to re -chrome it ?
Is it plastic too ?
Do plastic replacement body panels come already painted burple ?
Is touchup paint available ie in a 'nailpolish bottle' type kit ?

Where is the best place to get these parts ? Some place that will ship to South Africa.

Thx Skin.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its been a while i know,  but i was trying to forget to follow up to the previous posters response.  After noting a bit of a pattern over several posts though - here it is : 

For the 20/20  hindsight advice - many thanks.

As for the insinuation that i lack common sense .. EAT MY SHORTS!!

Skin.

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
unless i'm missing something, you can't take the dash panel off without first removing the tank. At least i couldn't see any way last night

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've removed my tank a few times and I ve found that the easiest way is to remove the side panels first,
then take the single bolt out, the tank then slides back enough to disconnect the big black plug up front. I have not had to take the speedo off at all.
The thing that ussually gives me grief is the brown plug near the fuel connection.
hope this helps

·
Registered
600 Posts
I unplugged the speedo assembly and removed it completely when I changed sparkplugs a while back. It was kind of a pain trying to stuff the connector back under the tank while holding on to the tank (didn't have a second set of hands to help when I was putting it back together). The next time I remove the tank, I think I'll unbolt the speedo assembly, stuff it in to an old pillow case in case of incidental contact, tie-wrap it closed, and leave it hooked up to the bike :D

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
the service manual just says to lift the rear no more than 3.97 inches after you take the bolt off. this is impossible to do (unless you are a 4'11" girl with tiny fingers), and worth a good laugh. listen to ppridgen up there, he's got the technique down.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ja, I tried to do what the manual told me, single handedly. It does not work out that way ( at least not first time around ) as i found to my peril.
I guess i will have to subscribe to tempering what the manual says with a dose of Ppridgens common sense :)

Skin'ster

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
skindiver said:
Ja, I tried to do what the manual told me, single handedly. It does not work out that way ( at least not first time around ) as i found to my peril.
I guess i will have to subscribe to tempering what the manual says with a dose of Ppridgens common sense :)

Skin'ster
It can be done by yourself, but it's not the easiest thing to do. Here's how I did it when I removed my tank for the first time to install my PCIII. Going on what I 'remembered' reading, I removed the bolt in the speedo panel and slid it forward to get those two plugs out of the hole. I quickly realized that I couldn't dangle it to the side and lift the tank without scraping paint so I just rested the dash back on the tank, just farther back than it was before. Then I removed the bolt in the tank and slid it back a bit so the rubber grommets slid out of the side panel hooks that held them. I lifted the tank a bit and disconnected the brown clip and fuel line. It was a pain in the rear doing it with one hand, but it worked. Here's a tip that I found out the second time I removed the tank. Take a 6 or 7" socket handle and prop the tank up with it. The small handle tip will stick under the metal lip on the tank that the bold goes through. The other end you just wedge in a spot (I don't remember right off hand, but if you look at it, you will see where to put it). This holds the tank for you while you disconnect (or reconnect) the brown clip and fuel line. For those that haven't done it yet, hold a rag under the fuel line as you unhook it because you will drain a small amount of fuel that is inside the metal tube. After these connections are off, I removed the socket handle and pulled back a bit more on the tank. This gave enough room up front to gently hang the dash paned to the right side so I could pick up the tank and set it aside. I just left the dash connected and hanging to the side. If you're worried about scratching the paint, just wrap a towel around the dash and tape it in place with masking tape. To replace the tank, reverse the order. Place the tank on the rails farther back than needed so you can place the dash panel on top of the tank to let it rest. Then prop the tank up and reconnect the wire and fuel line. After that is done, slide the tank back forward. It's probably best to remove the side panels since getting the tank grommets to hook into the side panels is a bit challenging. Much easier to have the tank in place first, and then reapply the side panels.

One thing that surprised me a bit was that the little tab on the front of the tank doesn't acutally hook under anything. I thought for sure there was a little lip or something that it slid under when you slid the tank forward. Basically, the only thing holding the tank on your bike is that single bolt in the rear. The only thing holding the front down is the pressure of the tank squeezing on the rubber pieces on each frame up front. I found that a bit odd. Doesn't seem very secure, but I guess it is. Anyway, I hope this helps.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Hey Skin,
I'm just putting in my two cents here....I've read this post and figured that this is where people come for help. I am {BY NO MEANS} mechanically inclined. Since I've had this 9....I'm wanting to do it myself. I put on the engine guards which require the tank to be pulled back about 4 inches...... My only advice for people reading this is to take your time....make sure you use blankets if possible to cover anything you don't want damaged or scratched. Accidents do happen and I know you must be sick over it.......so, hopefully you've got the "I'll never let that happen again" attitude!! :bigthumbsup:Take care.

Frank

·
Registered
387 Posts
GEE, when I did it the tank was nearly empty. Removed the chrome speedo piece and wrapped a small towel with tape around it and dangled it down the left side. Toweled the front tank off, removed the bolt and slid it forward just enough to stuff a small cardboard box underneath to keep it up and then, gasline and such. JOHN

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have had my tank off a few times. Medic's, thorough account will work fine. Especially, about the short tool propping up the tank to get at the fuel line and brown connector.

I went along Perry's lines for the dash, though. Take the seat and side panels off. Unbolt the dash. Unbolt the tank. Lift up on the tank slightly and pull down towards where the seat was a few inches. This will give you enough room to get at the dash connector in the neck cover. Remove the dash. Put the tank back where it was and prop it up with a tool (like Medic mentioned). Then have at it with the fuel line and brown connector. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
775 Posts
don't feel bad, bro. I'm a carpenter, own a small custom construction business. i build and remodel really nice homes. some people call me a genius with my hands. i very proudly ordered a new headlight nacelle after confidently attempting to adjust the light aim. told the guys at my dealership someone vandalized my bike. i don't think they believed me. ( it was the laughing that gave it away)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for all the advices.
My real issue came when i could not get the fuel conector off. Tank started see sawing about 10 minutes into struggling with that and thats where it went pear shaped for my side cover. That thing should deff come off first.

I had actually wrapped my chrome speedo in some spongy protective packing material , and dangled it off to the side. That i stuffed up when i replaced the tank again. I was pushing down ( fairly gently ) on the tank wondering why it would not go down enough to locate on the side rubber locators. Meanwhile the tank seam was coverty jammed into the speedo ( as obscured by a wad of packing material ), cutting thru the spongy packing material with each persuasive puch i gave it and sawing away at my chrome.
Plain stupid of me but likely i had lost the plot by then and was irritated enough to become careless.

Skin.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts