M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. How many of you actually changed the plugs at 7,500? I've got over 10k on my bike and haven't. Guess I should soon but I haven't noticed any down performance. My gas mileage has dropped a little but that's hard to judge because I tend to run the bike harder and harder the longer I have it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I did... at 9,500 miles. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary when I did it. I've run a tank of gas through it since then and the mileage is a little better. Here's what mine looked like. Front cylinder on the left:

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I did mine at 4k but just to be safe and run the CR10EK's. my 8's where light grey a little lighter than yours. I run 90mph (indicated) most the time so the colder plugs won't hurt, with my riding style anyway but also got mods coming and 10's are supposed to be a little "safer" detonation wise.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
What Mod's make going to 10's necessary?

Changing pugs at 4-K sounds a little premature to me :eek:

I also run 90 on the interstate :D but not around the corner to get the Milk,with the Big Air and PClll my Bike runs really Smooth now,Idol's the same,I was thinking you wouldn't need 10's till you Removed the Set ,or something like that,But I don't know I'm here as a student myself trying to learn from guy's Like JR.Lemonster,and Perry Guy's that are actually running the stuff! Later silentrider

·
Registered
476 Posts
Had 10s put in today when I had the dealer install my PClll, 600miles, just to be on the safe side with the cobra exhaust, jsd and soon to be intake. Of course I got some flak from the mechanic who wanted to know why I was going to 10s, when I told him he just rolled his eyes basically saying those on the forum don't know squat, guess I should have reminded him that, he had to go back in because he didn't know there were 4 plugs only thought there were 2, now tell me that is a confidence booster when you go to the dealer. Must say though the shop manager is on the ball and was great to work with. Took them 4 hours to put in the pclll and plugs.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'd find a new shop. I put the PC3 on my Warrior in about 25 minutes. And that was soldering the wires on, and I doubt the shop did that for you. Just an FYI, I'd make sure that your digital ground isn't just crimped on and is actually soldered on. That was a very big problem for all the Warrior guys way back when.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I am in big agreement on soldering wires and not crimping them on. anything that moves IMO should have the wires soldered and heat shrink used on them. this is from 30 years exp on airplanes, bikes and other machinery. Some of the wires on todays bikes/cars/computers only carry a 5 volt signal and any loss of voltage like high resistance of a bad crimp job will give you trouble. on the plugs, as long ago as I can remember they have recommended colder plugs for high speed running. the 10's are doing fine and I feel better. :bigthumbsup:

G

·
Has anyone pulled the 10 plugs after running them for a while and looked at them? Curious as to how they look. I have a set here and will probably change them this weekend.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I pulled the stock plugs out last week,and they looked dark brown(kinda like a coconut hull). I run a JSD,Cobra Fi2000,and Cobra dragsters. After I change out the intake(s) I'll probably have to go to a little cooler plug. So far though,everythings looking good,maybe a tad fat! What allot of guy's don't take into consideration is, it depends on what climate you ride your bike in. It's not nearly as hot up here in the Mid-West as it is in the South,or out West.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess I'm jumping on the 10's too. Will try and pick those up today if I can find them local. Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jazzman said:
I guess I'm jumping on the 10's too. Will try and pick those up today if I can find them local. Thanks for the info guys.
Ok. I hedged. I just bought 4 CR9EK's. I'll ride those till summer and then consider going to 10's when the weather gets hotter. Maybe there will be more plug data to go on by then.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
jazzman said:
Ok. I hedged. I just bought 4 CR9EK's. I'll ride those till summer and then consider going to 10's when the weather gets hotter. Maybe there will be more plug data to go on by then.
My original "8's" (I screwed up and only changed 2) were very dark/carbon coated but dry. That was what was in there before any mods. With all the hoopla I am going to check them and maybe go to the nine's like you. I dont think I am pushing the mods far enough to warrant the tens.

Sledzep

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
dog man said:
Must say though the shop manager is on the ball and was great to work with. Took them 4 hours to put in the pclll and plugs.
:eek:

They definitely are NOT on the ball. I've installed several PCIII's in the past (on VTX 1800's), and if it takes you 30 minutes then you are moving slow. I doubt that installing one on an M109R would be that much more difficult. How long does it take to swap out the plugs on the 109? Sounds to me like they screwed you if they charged you for 4 hours labor, unless they dyno'd it afterwards and created a custom map for you. :confused:
And the mechanic had the gall to say we don't know what we're talking about on this forum and he didn't even know the bike had 4 plugs? ::)
This is why I do all of my own work. Most dealers have their heads up their "you know whats". :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
BlackCherry said:
OK guys, are the 10's hotter or cooler than the stock 8's ? :dontknow:
Cooler by 2 steps than the stock 8s

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Bonehead said:
Cooler by 2 steps than the stock 8s
OK, thanks. This is curious because on the VTX's the guys are always going to a hotter plug, not a cooler one. The thinking was to get a more complete burn than with the stock cooler plugs. I've never heard of going to cooler plugs than stock. Are the stock plugs really just spec'd out too hot? :dontknow:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
BlackCherry said:
OK, thanks. This is curious because on the VTX's the guys are always going to a hotter plug, not a cooler one. The thinking was to get a more complete burn than with the stock cooler plugs. I've never heard of going to cooler plugs than stock. Are the stock plugs really just spec'd out too hot? :dontknow:
I believe the move to cooler plugs was started with the JSD3m issue?/deal?/fiasco?/farce?? Tthere was info posted that the engine may be detonating "POSSIBLY" because the timing was no longer where the Zook wanted it through the first 3 gears....
Many folks chimed in
Many folks got mad/scared/ many did not and then some declared they would move to cooler plugs just to be sure.

I lost track, but I never lost faith. Perhaps a search would help, or others can chime in.

Sledzep

·
Registered
532 Posts
I bought the 10s yesterday. Plan on changing them when I do my oil change today. The first place I went to where I bought my oil, only had up to the 9s, so I almost bought them. But I decided it would be better to be safe than sorry. I ended up going to the local dealer to get the 10s who told me that Suzuki didn't recommend them. So I told him that the bike isn't stock anymore and I wanted to prevent detonation. He agreed and got them for me. I have the JSD 3M, FI2000, and the Edelbrock intakes.

I'll probably run them for a few hundred miles and then pull them to check them. Unless I notice any drop in performance before then.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts