Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A friend sent it to me. Here was the caption:

Subject: Afgan Helicopter Photo
>
>If you don't think our military pilots earn their pay ... you need to take
>a look at this picture ... and then look again and realize what you're
>seeing .
>
>This photo was taken by a soldier in Afghanistan of a helo rescue mission.
>The pilot is a PA Guard guy who flies EMS choppers in civilian life. Now
>how many people on the planet you reckon could set the ass end of a chopper
>down on the roof top of a shack on a steep mountain cliff and hold it there
>while soldiers load wounded men in the rear??? If this does not impress you
>... nothing ever will. Gives me the chills and a serious case of the
>vertigo ... I can't even imagine having the nerve ... much less the talent
>and ability ... God Bless our military!!!!!
>

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi, That photo is so good I am going to hang it on my wall. I really feel for our troops over there. They really have to put themselves out there. JOHN

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
No matter where you stand politically always back our guys.
went to lunch today at a resturant, and was in uniform. went to pay for my lunch afterwards, and the cashier told me that it was already paid for. as i didn't understand, she pointed over to an older man named david, and she said that he paid for it. i went over to talk to him and thank him. he was a very cool guy. he was also a vietnam vet. i could tell he never got the appreciation our forces recieve today, and what the gesture meant for him to be able to do it for someone else. i was sure to let him know how much it was appreciated, and how much i appreciated him for what he'd done for our country.

i'm not sure if america knows this or not, but you need to. all of you out there have done an outstanding job supporting your troops. i honestly can't count the number of kind gestures random people have gone out of there way to make...whether it be stopping me to shake my hand and say thanks, or something like above, to the entire atlanta airport stopping what they were doing and applauding our unit as we were making our walk to the plane. i just can't tell you how good it makes a soldier feel. any of those alone makes the whole thing worth it to me. then i think about David, and how difficult it must have been for him not having the same support.

with all of the differing political opinions on the situation today (some very similar to David's time), it's challenging to sort through our opinions and feelings. however, i think the country has made an enourmous effort here. please forgive my rambling, but i wanted to take a moment to thank you america. you make it all worthwhile.

CPT Barre Bollinger
2-69 AR BN, Ft. Benning, GA

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I've seen an even more impressive bit of flying first hand when I was in the Navy. I was on a Guided Missile Cruiser, and our flight deck was nowhere near big enough to set a CH-46 down on (pretty much the same helo as in the pic) so imagine setting the rear end of one of those down on our flight deck, with it pitching and yawing in the ocean, and hovering there for 5 minutes plus while we load and unload stuff from the back like that. I was one of the guys running pallette jacks up the ramp while it was hovering. It's one thing to set the rear down on the roof of a small house like that, but to set it down and keep it down on a constantly moving target was even more impressive. Those guys sure can fly. :bigthumbsup:
I've got old photos with me in it of this going on. If I can find them and scan them I'll post them here. ;) :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
443 Posts
phaed, my brother was in the Air Force for 16 years and was stationed at the Pentagon when 9/11 occurred. Believe me when I say THANK YOU all, for everything you men and women do for our country!!! ( he's just fine ) :bigthumbsup: :a18: :beer2:

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
For those old things to be flying is what impresses me. they were using those back when I was in 30 years ago! :eek:
used to see a lot of them broke down outside the Hangars too.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
steve j said:
For those old things to be flying is what impresses me. they were using those back when I was in 30 years ago! :eek:
used to see a lot of them broke down outside the Hangars too.
They quit leakin 8)

I used to rapid rapel out the back of one of those onto Mt. Rainer doing mountain rescue.. WAY back in the day 8)

Like riding in a blackhawk better as they bounce and wiggle around less, but these guys were hard to beat for pulling stranded hikers out of butt deep (and deeper) snow. Getting cold just thinking about it again.. sheesh :eek:

·
Registered
185 Posts
phaed said:
. . . please forgive my rambling, but i wanted to take a moment to thank you america. you make it all worthwhile.

CPT Barre Bollinger
2-69 AR BN, Ft. Benning, GA
Gentlemen,
   Lets us raise our glasses to toast the good Capt. and all our folks in uniform past and present . . :beer3: :beer2: :beer3:

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Here,Here! :beer3: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :bow: :bow: :bow: :a18:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That person is called a pilot, not a driver. Also hence why they are affectionally called sh!*hooks!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts