M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the final drive and drive shaft to polish the drive and swing arm and even though it slid right back into place it doesn't seem to be in right. If you have removed yours did you run into any problems putting it back in or are there any tricks? I can't get it back into gear now and it makes a grinding noise when I roll the rear wheel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,579 Posts
vtxoak said:
I removed the final drive and drive shaft to polish the drive and swing arm and even though it slid right back into place it doesn't seem to be in right. If you have removed yours did you run into any problems putting it back in or are there any tricks? I can't get it back into gear now and it makes a grinding noise when I roll the rear wheel.
Go to the How 2 Step by step and find Lamont's post on getting it back in. He said if you were able to stab the shaft back into the joint, then you needed to buy a lottery ticket. He had to remove the U joint and place the shaft on it, and then put the U-joint back on the primary. If that confused you, it may be because I messed up some. Just find his post for directions.

Ahhh shucks. I'll even give you the link... http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=830.0
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats strange, I wonder why it bolts back up if the u joint is not meshed with the drive shaft? It wouldn't seem like you could put the final drive on if the drive shaft wasn't in. Although when I had the drive off with the drive shaft I noticed that the shaft can be pushed into the drive. This set up is different than the vtx set up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,579 Posts
vtxoak said:
Thats strange, I wonder why it bolts back up if the u joint is not meshed with the drive shaft? It wouldn't seem like you could put the final drive on if the drive shaft wasn't in. Although when I had the drive off with the drive shaft I noticed that the shaft can be pushed into the drive. This set up is different than the vtx set up.
:dontknow: I know certain rules pertaining to my job, like:

Pink is good, blue is bad. Air goes in and out, blood goes round and round. Any deviation from those is a bad thing.

I'm not sure about the little pearls for mechanics, but I'm pretty sure grinding noises when you roll the wheel is a bad thing. :bigthumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Medic1210 said:
:dontknow:Â I know certain rules pertaining to my job, like:

Pink is good, blue is bad. Air goes in and out, blood goes round and round. Any deviation from those is a bad thing.

I'm not sure about the little pearls for mechanics, but I'm pretty sure grinding noises when you roll the wheel is a bad thing. :bigthumbsup:
I just rolled the wheel on the bike lift so no damage but I knew it wasn't right. Does anyone know if there is a special tool required to pull the swingarm off?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,579 Posts
vtxoak said:
I just rolled the wheel on the bike lift so no damage but I knew it wasn't right. Does anyone know if there is a special tool required to pull the swingarm off?
Whoa!!! Why you wanna pull the swingarm off? Not to fix the driveshaft issue I hope. You read Lamont's post didn't you? Or do you want to pull it for some other reason? Just curious, but did you crank the bike on the stand and put it in gear to see if you heard this noise when the primary drive engaged and turned the wheel?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Medic1210 said:
Whoa!!! Why you wanna pull the swingarm off? Not to fix the driveshaft issue I hope. You read Lamont's post didn't you? Or do you want to pull it for some other reason? Just curious, but did you crank the bike on the stand and put it in gear to see if you heard this noise when the primary drive engaged and turned the wheel?
I pollished the shaft side and thought about pulling it and chroming it. It didn't go into gear or so I thought, now I think that the drive shift is not in the u joint so it isn't meshing. Looks like it comes apart again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,579 Posts
vtxoak said:
It didn't go into gear or so I thought, now I think that the drive shift is not in the u joint so it isn't meshing.
Probably not. From reading Lamont's ordeal with his drive shaft, it seems you would have to be a miracle worker to stab the shaft into the U-joing from the hub end. From reading his post above, it doesn't look terribly difficult... just time consuming and a pain to do.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top