M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode around the neighborhood just a minute ago to test a new brake pedal and I hear a whine in first and some in second. It makes me think of a regular import whine. Have any of you guys heard this ? Also have you heard an unusual amount of engine chatter in neutral ?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
There can be a gear whine on deceleration in bottom two gears (you probably wont notice it after first oil change) and 'chatter' you refer to is probably the clutch (pull lever in and see if it disappears)...I have had two 109's and this is quite normal nothing to worry about! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Strange thing I have already had first oil change, but tomorrow I will put amsoil Synthetic in it. Your right about pulling in the clutch, it quietens down when you do that. Have you oiled your exhaust set value and if you did, where on the value and with what. I do know where it is, I took the cover off and sprayed it with wd but to no effect. I know I need some grease or oil, but I thought it would quiet it briefly, but no.

·
Registered
572 Posts
rasputin said:
There can be a gear whine on deceleration in bottom two gears (you probably wont notice it after first oil change) and 'chatter' you refer to is probably the clutch (pull lever in and see if it disappears)...I have had two 109's and this is quite normal nothing to worry about! :bigthumbsup:
TWO 109s? :)

One to ride and let the other one rest... and then swap out? :)

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
The bike whine in 1st and 2nd due to the cams being chain driven.

The clutch rattles like a dog IMO. The clutch design is probly the culprit.

I'm going to 20w-50 Amsoil on my next oil change to cut that rattle down some.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I normally wear a full helmet but I didn't through the neighborhood. I was testing out new brake pedal and knew I wasn't going to hit the main road. I guess its always been there but its the first time I have heard it.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
BigBen said:
TWO 109s? :)

One to ride and let the other one rest... and then swap out? :)
Hi Big Ben, I was given a demonstrator for a couple of weeks (and about 1000km ...nice dealer) until my present bike arrived. I also drove another bike Suzuki NZ was taking around the country while drumming up sales as well...so when mine finally arrived, all the noises mentioned, sounded familiar and normal.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
i know what you mean and that clanking when you down shift whats that about ::)

·
Registered
696 Posts
bear com... i went to the amsoil products at my 600 mile service.. gotta tell ya... they make the bike work a whole lot better... smoother and quieter...mjm

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats what I hear , I am going to switch over today. I just wanted to make sure there was nothing wrong with my bike with the noise, its the first time I have heard it. Thanks for the input guys, makes me feel better :bigthumbsup:

·
Seasoned Member
7,635 Posts
I never heard the whine and chatter until I took my fullface helmet off last night for some low-speed parking lot manuevers. Wow... that's loud! Still sounds better than the whine and chatter I left at home. :D

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
i have a clutch basket type chatter when at isle in nuetral with clutch released - goes away as clutch
lever is pulled in

godzuki

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
godzuki said:
i have a clutch basket type chatter when at isle in nuetral with clutch released - goes away as clutch
lever is pulled in

godzuki
We all do, its normal for the 109 & part of its character! :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
8 Posts
lever is pulled in

godzuki
I own a 2008 that I bought in 2014 and I put Royal Purple 20w50 in the first two oil changes and never heard the clutch chatter but I changed to RP 10w40 the last two oil changes and the chatter began. My bike is coming up to the next oil change and I'm going to go back to 20w50 and see what happens.

·
Registered
216 Posts
anyone else ever notice a vibration in the seat at certain rpms in all gears that seem like it's coming from the final drive in the pumpkin?

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
anyone else ever notice a vibration in the seat at certain rpms in all gears that seem like it's coming from the final drive in the pumpkin?
Mine. End of Driveshaft to cuff of final drive was dry as a bone. Felt it and sometimes creaked. The Hub is an oil bath.... it wont be in there. Unless some Asshat comes along to say im talking chit. So look at the parts pic and see where shaft meets drive cuff near Hub. Strip and grease.

Ride All You Can. Life Is Short.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
The bike whine in 1st and 2nd due to the cams being chain driven.

The clutch rattles like a dog IMO. The clutch design is probly the culprit.

I'm going to 20w-50 Amsoil on my next oil change to cut that rattle down some.
Chain drive cams does not cause the whine. Every bike I've ever owned had chain drive gears. And I've owned a lot. Yamaha's used to be famous for this whine. They used straight cut transmission gears. The whine is caused by the transmission gears being straight cut gears, rather than helical. Straight cut gears can handle huge torque better than helical cut, but they are noisier and harder to shift.

There is a company, Pete Jackson, that makes cam drive gear sets for V-8's. They ask when you buy them if you want them noisy or quiet. Noisy and you get straight cut gears, Quiet and you get helical cut gears.

Anyhow, no oil you use will eliminate this. I've run 20W-50 in mine for 10 years, and I still hear it with a helmet on. And I have bad hearing and only one good ear.

So good luck to anyone who thinks you can eliminate that sound. Personally, I equate it with the sound of a supercharger. My Ford Lightning whines like the dickens as soon as I start it. LOVE THAT SOUND!!!!!:bigthumbsup:

The clatter? My friend Sam and I both like it. Gives the bike personality. I'll take that over a harley sound any day of the century.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Chain drive cams does not cause the whine. Every bike I've ever owned had chain drive gears. And I've owned a lot. Yamaha's used to be famous for this whine. They used straight cut transmission gears. The whine is caused by the transmission gears being straight cut gears, rather than helical. Straight cut gears can handle huge torque better than helical cut, but they are noisier and harder to shift.

There is a company, Pete Jackson, that makes cam drive gear sets for V-8's. They ask when you buy them if you want them noisy or quiet. Noisy and you get straight cut gears, Quiet and you get helical cut gears.

Anyhow, no oil you use will eliminate this. I've run 20W-50 in mine for 10 years, and I still hear it with a helmet on. And I have bad hearing and only one good ear.

So good luck to anyone who thinks you can eliminate that sound. Personally, I equate it with the sound of a supercharger. My Ford Lightning whines like the dickens as soon as I start it. LOVE THAT SOUND!!!!!:bigthumbsup:

The clatter? My friend Sam and I both like it. Gives the bike personality. I'll take that over a harley sound any day of the century.
2006 , I think hes gone.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Actually, he's not. His profile says his last activity was 07-10-2016. :D

In any event, I'm guilty of not noticing how old his post is. If I had, I wouldn't have bothered replying.

Oh well, it still corrects an error. My bike whines like crazy in first and second gear. Not so much in third or above. I assume I simply don't hear it due to the increasing wind noise overpowering the whine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.