M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wham! Dude in a Toyota 4-Runner, with a brush guard on the front, runs into me at maybe 10 mph. He hit me from behind and on the right side of the rear fender. I was in neutral at the light, so when he hit me I launched forward and to the left where I slammed into another vehicle, a small Toyota pickup. Could have been worse, alot worse. The accident happened 1 month ago & the bike has been repaired to better than before. Here are the pics.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
more pics...

Windshield pic didn't turn out too well...

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
glad you got your bike fixed and can still physically ride

I ran a red light once to excape from a jackass driving a full size chevy blazer (he ended up blowing through the light right behind me)
I pulled over and let him by then followed him to a home quarters
(yeah this was several years ago)
I was off the bike with helmet in hand ready to pop his damn window when I see that its some 80 year old guy who didnt have a clue or any business being behind the wheel

I yelled and cussed him for 10 min and left still feeling like I needed a stress release

I always keep bike in gear and check mirrors when at a light, and leave enough room to split lanes if im not first at the light

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
What the hell's wrong with all these idots? If these people can't stop at intersections without running into other motorists, why do they even have driver's licenses?

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Glad you weren't hurt bro

Also glad you able to fix your bike, I wasn't so lucky. What is it with these folks in cars? :dontknow:

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
So did you ask him WTF!!!

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
ACE-HOLES,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
960 Posts
I always keep bike in gear and check mirrors when at a light, and leave enough room to split lanes if im not first at the light
:agree: Good to see that someone else here is as paranoid as me!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Glad to hear you got out safe. I have always put my bike in neutral at lights to rest my clutch hand. I recently took a motorcycle safety course with my wife who is just learning to ride. One of the first things the instructions told me was to never take your bike out of gear at a light and to be prepared to avoid on coming traffic even while sitting still. It was a hard habit to break but I just had a close call 2 weeks ago. Even old dogs can learn new tricks. Again, glad there were no injuries. 8)

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Back in 98 or 99, I was rear-ended at a traffic light by a chickie in a hurry to get to Target for a sale. I was riding my wife's 83 Honda GL-650 Silver Wing, and the accident drove the drive shaft into the engine, seizing it. Total loss, and it was such a nice little go everywhere bike.

The traffic light was red, and she was behind me. While the light was red, a procession of emergency vehicles entered our lane heading the opposite way. So when the light turned green, I did not go, neither did anyone else, EXCEPT the chickie behind me, who evidently did not see all the flashing lights, nor hear the sirens.

She told me "I'm sorry, I'm trying to get to Target before their sale ends." I said, "Guess your not gonna make it now, huh?"

Fortunately I was not injured, just shocked to have the bike driven out from under me. And pissed that such a nice bike was totalled by such a bimbo.:mad:

***** happens.:eek:

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I was taught to ride like I have a target on my back, its a big game of tag and your not it. I have taught my kids the same

this world is full of really really bad drivers and the only way they stay alive is if we help them

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
I was taught to ride like I have a target on my back, its a big game of tag and your not it. I have taught my kids the same

this world is full of really really bad drivers and the only way they stay alive is if we help them
Absolutely, even though we ride what is a really highly visible bike, you gotta ride as if you are invisible. If you ride as if no one can see you, you will ride extremely defensively. Thats what my dad taught me, and except for a few circumstances, one related above, it has worked.

I've yet to be bothered by someone making a left turn in front of me, after 34 years of riding. Yeah its happened, but has caused me no harm because I was expecting them to do hust that, and prepared for the same.

I've yet to attend a MSF course, will one of these days should the need arise for me to ride on base. And if I can ever get my name on the list ahead of all the day shifters.:-\

But I do not think it will teach me anything really new.

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
Are you healed up? This is why I have the brake back off installed. So I do not have to pump the bakes at a light, it does it automatically.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,877 Posts
Glad you're OK and it's fixed bro. It's amazing how they can't see a bright orange bike stopped at a light.

I always keep mine in gear and my eyes on the mirror, and try to have an escape route planned just in case someone doesn't stop.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm ok, had some lower back & neck pain for a couple weeks. Saw the chiropractor twice a week for a few weeks. Free rental while the bike was in the shop. State Farm did pretty good. The dude who ran into me was already out of his rig asking me if I was ok by the time I stepped off my bike. I responded "YEA I'M OK ARE YOU?!" I was pissed but calmed down right away realizing after all it WAS an accident. He admitted to "just not paying attention" and apologized several times. I went over, picked up my bike off the smaller Toyota pickup and backed it up. Talking to the 4Runner dude I suggested we all pull over and let traffic by.

Talking to the driver (and his amigo) of the truck I hit, who were now out of their truck looking at the damage to their quarter-panel (let's just call them Jose' and Hose B) I tell them to follow us as we pull over around the corner. When the driver of the 4Runner & I get pulled over and start exchanging insurance papers and calling the police, we notice the the other party didn't bother to pull over. Hmmmmm wonder if they didn't have proper paperwork...

I keep meaning to take pics of the bike now that it's done but keep forgetting...

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Absolutely, even though we ride what is a really highly visible bike, you gotta ride as if you are invisible. If you ride as if no one can see you, you will ride extremely defensively. Thats what my dad taught me, and except for a few circumstances, one related above, it has worked.

I've yet to be bothered by someone making a left turn in front of me, after 34 years of riding. Yeah its happened, but has caused me no harm because I was expecting them to do hust that, and prepared for the same.

I've yet to attend a MSF course, will one of these days should the need arise for me to ride on base. And if I can ever get my name on the list ahead of all the day shifters.:-\

But I do not think it will teach me anything really new.
If you do take one, go into it with an open mind. I've been riding for 25 years, and still pick up a little trick here and there. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
96 Posts
And we all know what they say about being paranoid.. "Just cause you're paranoid, doesn't mean someone's not out to get ya!" -- Woddy Allen. In Annie Hall, I think...

Glad you're ok... Be careful out there!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts