M109 Rider Forums banner

Which Helmet is BEST for the M109R and WHY....

• Modular flip-face type

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Skid-Lid skull cracker

• Helmet? Don't need no stinking helmet!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding for more than 24 years and helmets always seem to be a sore spot for folks.

Well I picked up a Fulmer Modus modular helmet the other day for around $70. This is cheap for this helmet. I saw some threads about the Boulevard helmets (half shell) and some full face helmets. It dawned on me that we need a good Q&A on helmets from those that use them everyday.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll start off first since I own (3) different versions of helmet.

IMO, the best helmet I have used with the M109R (with NO windshield) is the modular flip-face Fulmer Modus.

Fulmer Modus - With this helmet, wind noise is low and the face can be flipped up with one hand. This allows extra air and visibility when your riding under 35 mph and it's 95 degrees outside. It provide superior face protection from flying crap (i.e. bugs, rocks, etc) than a half-shell.

Boulevard Half-Shell - I like this helmet but find that I need ear plugs for long rides at 70 mph because the wind roar will have my ears ringing after about an hour. Note: With a windshield, this helmet would be my preference.

HJC CL-10 Full Face - This is the helmet that I used when I owned a sport bike. It benefits are similar to the flip-face but of course, only the shield flips up to provide better ventilation on hot days. Wind roar tends to be somewhat louder with this helmet than the Fulmer.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had one hell of a time finding a helmet that would fit. The HJC large was too big, the medium too small. The Fulmer large was OK. The same for the KKB. Then I tried the modular Nolan 102, a perfect fit. It's made in Italy, so its cool looking. Its not cheap, @ $280, but worth every penny. It is comfortable, has a chin guard to keep the wind out (removable), washable liner and a built in sun visor (no need to wear sunglasses). The sun visor will go up if it's cloudy or your in a tunnel. You can open the bubble slightly for a little air on hot days, awhile keeping the lid secure. The best thing - it comes in Atlantic Blue which matches my Burple :bigthumbsup: (when the sun hits it just right).

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I have looked at the Fulmer Modus but noticed it was not Snell approved. This bothered me a little but I do like the feature of a flip helmet. Just wondering about the rest of the guys on this board. Is this a safe helmet, and yes I know it is better than no helmet.

Is this a safe helmet?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've normally worn full face helmets on my sportsbikes.

I have a couple of Shoei Z-One's which are fab.

But for the M1800 (109) I wanted something more in keeping,so i got this Momo Komposit,made mainly of carbon f and VERY light :

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Note: AGV makes a modular helmet as well that is competitively priced.

·
Registered
326 Posts
That is some serious Battlestar Galactica shyt. ;)

Any helmet is better than none.

G

·
SNELL will not rate flip face helmets. Something to do with the strength of the mechanism.

The best helmet is the one that fits your head properly.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I bought a full face AFX FX-51. The M is like some of the new cars that are a cross between two different types. The M to me is a Cruiser/sport bike so I mixed the gear ie full face helmet, leather chaps, leather jacket.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
First, thanks Del' for the links to the reviews..very interesting! I have a couple of Shoei helmets that I have mixed feelings about, but do find that Shoei's fit me nicely. The most recent was a (black) Synchrotec 11 ....I liked the convenience of the flip front so I can put it on / take it off with specs on. But after more than a few scares with people in cars just not seeing me (esp at intersections) I have just shouted myself a SERIOUSLY BRIGHT one. I'm too old to concerned about what looks appropriate on the 109, just want to be seen. Think this one should stand out? :D

·
Registered
161 Posts
Modular helmets are great right up to the point where your face hits the pavement. I used to have an HJC flip face helmet and it fell off the seat of my bike ONE TIME and the front mechanism broke off at one of the points!!!! So from now on, I ride with true full face helmets(Scorpion EXO-400). But as long as you know that the flip ups offer the same protection as the little half helmets you'll be fine. Just don't expect them to hold up like a real full face lid.

Shogun, that's a fricken sweet looking helmet.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have two IICON Helmets and This one below has silver visor which looks much better!
Also have a black which I got all sorts of goodies stuck on and has a dark smoke visor!
AND a non DOT half Skull which I only wear on very hot days and short rides! I KNOW I KNOW! you never know but I guess it's cooler looking half chrome jockey type! To be honest its so much louder and uncomfortable than the full face and I much rather go out all dressed but sometimes I am just too lazy and too hot to do either.

They IICON helmets fit quiet nice and the new one has a snap on for the strap so it doesn't flap and it's very cool looking I think. Seems to be only about $200 or there abouts so it's very good product for the money!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Full face offers the best protection....no doubt about it ! , The flip helments have a warning on them...in tiny tiny print along the base of the helmet basically
saying that wearing this helmet you are wearing it at your own risk...and almost all of them won't be Snell approved.

If you go down with this helmet and the chin area hits the ground , it could pop open exposing your face to the pavement.

·
Registered
974 Posts
My wife and i both use and swear by the Arai quantum 2 helmets we have they are bright and visible and very damn well rated.  The dealer we talked to didnt recommend the new modular flip face helmet deals at all.

I was sold on that when he accidently dropped one on the ground trying to hand it to me and the face part broke free from the helmet, not sure if that is supposed to happen (neither was he).

Also the Arai makes helmets to fit different shaped heads which i find nice since ive got a big melon.

Only real down fall is there a bit more pricey but hey i figure 8 dollar head and 8 dollar helmet is good.

I figure the price of the Arai was worth it since i value my melon HEHE.

Ive also heard the Sharks are a very good helm but i have not used one.

Ive also heard the Arai Profile helms are a tad quieter (noise wise) than the quantum 2's hope that helps some.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I use an HJC CL-Max flip face. Between Texas and Arizona riding being able to open up and get some air when you're stopped is a VERY good thing.

But as for the BEST helmet for the 109 I think the short answer is the same as it is for all bikes.. The best helmet for your bike is the one you wear every time you get on it. If you're not wearing it, it can't save your butt (or in this case face and head).

1 - 20 of 48 Posts