M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a GPS that I can use on my bike and in my car. Any recommendations?

From what I can tell the newer 4.3" screens are nicer than the older ones but which model. I have had Garmin before and liked it.

Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
547 Posts
I want to get a GPS that I can use on my bike and in my car. Any recommendations?

From what I can tell the newer 4.3" screens are nicer than the older ones but which model. I have had Garmin before and liked it.

Thanks for any advice
Any of them will work double duty. Just pick out the options you require and go from there.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bike ones are too expensive (I try not to ride in the rain) but there are a few car models with bluetooth which will work with my headset.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I have a NUVI 680 which I use on the bike and in the car. It has Bluetooth and MP3 Player plus a lot of other nice features. It is discontinued but got one with a 2 year warranty for $130.00.

·
Radio Active Member
27,666 Posts

Thanks for any advice
It all depends on what you want to do with it.

Route capible
traffic
Bluetooth
The newer ones out are half the thinkness and have a much better screen, more features and better pixals.

And you also have to look at how much $$ you want to spend. I think Garmin makes the best units out, but that is just me.

But now a lot of phones like the droid have a GPS feature.

G

·

Thanks for any advice
If you're an all-weather rider, then you're gonna need some version of the Garmin Zumo (I think 3 models have been released now). It's waterproof and shock resistant, but it'll cost you. There may be other motorcycle specific units out there now, but when I was researching it about 3 years back, the Zumo was the only one that claimed to be 100% waterproof...and so far, I can't complain. I've ridden in horrible downpours with that thing and it's never given me a problem. Most of the ones that are designed to be used in a car won't survive that treatment, and all the vibes that the bike (especially a 9) will throw at it might not be too good for good for them either.

·
Registered
547 Posts
If you're an all-weather rider, then you're gonna need some version of the Garmin Zumo (I think 3 models have been released now). It's waterproof and shock resistant, but it'll cost you. There may be other motorcycle specific units out there now, but when I was researching it about 3 years back, the Zumo was the only one that claimed to be 100% waterproof...and so far, I can't complain. I've ridden in horrible downpours with that thing and it's never given me a problem. Most of the ones that are designed to be used in a car won't survive that treatment, and all the vibes that the bike (especially a 9) will throw at it might not be too good for good for them either.
Good point, the vibration and waterproofing would be a plus, but when you can buy 4 to 5 cheaper Garmins to replace one that got ruined for the same price of one Zumo, you need to weigh the odds of them getting ruined.

G

·
Good point, the vibration and waterproofing would be a plus, but when you can buy 4 to 5 cheaper Garmins to replace one that got ruined for the same price of one Zumo, you need to weigh the odds of them getting ruined.
Vibes may be less of an issue, but getting caught in one torrential downpour = a ruined GPS. Travel any distance over a period of a several days, and sooner or later you're gonna get wet. Then you have to find your way home pulling over and lookin at maps...ugh. jmho...:dontknow:

But, I commute on the bike daily, so I get wet all the time. And, I use the GPS mainly as a speedo, cause I hate having to actually tilt my head down to see the speedo on the tank (too much time with eyes off the road). I'd be buying a new GPS every other week...but that's just me.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Vibes may be less of an issue, but getting caught in one torrential downpour = a ruined GPS. Travel any distance over a period of a several days, and sooner or later you're gonna get wet. Then you have to find your way home pulling over and lookin at maps...ugh. jmho...:dontknow:
i certainly don't dissagree. All I am saying is to look at the riding style and go from there. If I was caught in the rain with my TOM TOM I would stash it in my bag and probably pull over at a local restraunt and have some coffee and wait it out, but that's just me. I hate riding in the rain.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've ridden through some horrible rain with my Garmin on a RAM mount. Ziploc bag and a rubber band and my GPS was waterproof for a fraction of the price! :D

·
Registered
274 Posts
And creating your own routes is priceless. I have found roads and routes that are out of this world thanks to the Mapsource software that comes with the Zumos. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I was going to buy a cheap unit because I rarely choose to ride in the rain. On my last trip I would have been without the GPS due to rain for 3 days straight (out of 5), so the extra money was worth it for the Zumo.
Really, is the gps for cruising around town or taking a trip? When you take a trip you often don't have a choice about riding in the rain!?!

Zumo has a nice "Car Mode" vs. "Motorcycle Mode". Nice little differences that allow easier typing when not wearing gloves.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
The Droid X rocks.

I have the gps mount on my bars and it will give turn by turn directions, play music and let me take calls through a blue tooth connection to my helmet.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,855 Posts
I have a Garmin Nuvi 765T, and it does just about everything. Route planning, Bluetooth, FM transmitter, FM traffic updates, etc. And you can buy waterproof cases for any GPS unit off ebay. I don't have one, but I pack a zip lock bag just in case.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
and this "Zumo" is water proof and "shock" proof??
I'm not sure if "shock proof" is the right description, but "vibration proof". If you drop it, you'll most likely kill it just like any other "computer". Designed for Motorcycle, but has "car mode" also.

Their website states "Vibration-tested, waterproof and built with fuel-resistant plastics to withstand rides in all conditions"

http://www8.garmin.com/zumo/minisite.html

·
Registered
274 Posts
It's water proof, tested that myself in major downpours. I don't know if it's totally shock "proof", but I've dropped mine a few times and it didn't do a swingin thing to it. I'm sure if you hit the screen hard enough it would probably destroy the LCD, just like a phone or camera. I highly recommend a Zumo, it's been flawless for me.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
The Zumo on my shelf spent 30,000 miles on 2 HD Ultras. It saw plenty of hard bumps and way too many downpours.

Also, the screen is glare resistant and the touch buttons are nice and big for gloves or while underway.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Zumos are ghey! So ghey, I would love to upgrade from my 550 to a new 665.

Zumos come with two craddles, one for the bike and one for a vehicle. Zumos are expensive, but wotrth every penny.

Anyone want to buy a Zumo 550?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I would think twice about the GPS purchase if I had the choice again. I have a Garmin but there are cell phones offering this functionality free through Google Maps with google voice.

I left my GPS at home while on a trip this week. I just purchased the Droid Incredible a couple of weeks ago and decided to give it a try. It worked perfectly. I may be leaving my GPS at home in the future.

Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts