M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had just bought a brand new 2008 leftover C109R and absolutely love it. The only thing is it is to quiet for me, and after doing some research on exhausts I find that there is only a few exhausts for this bike. I need some input on what other people are running.

Also, why in the world did Suzuki make the M109 and C109 mounting for exhausts different. I emailed a couple of these manufactures and got the answer that the mounting is different?????

·
Registered
18 Posts
Me, too!!

biggy109-

I bought a leftover 2008 C109R as well...Yeah, the exhaust selection stinks. Just basically a choice between Cobra and Hard-Krome :(

I am also wondering what else is different...I understood the C109R to be an M109R with a cruiser look. I know you have a different swingarm, fender, and forks, but I didn't realize they were as different as they appear to be....

Here are some other questions some members may be able to answer:

Just "how" different is the C from the M?

Will M aftermarket wheels fit the C?

Will the rear fender off an M bolt onto the C?

Traded a Harley FatBoy in on my C....Absolutely LOVE IT!!!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I previously owned a 2005 C50 and I removed baffles and back plates from it. Maybe I will give the de-baffeling idea some thought, I know my other bike was just an 800 but I was not to happy but these things sound pretty awesome!

·
Registered
96 Posts
biggy109-

I bought a leftover 2008 C109R as well...Yeah, the exhaust selection stinks. Just basically a choice between Cobra and Hard-Krome :(

I am also wondering what else is different...I understood the C109R to be an M109R with a cruiser look. I know you have a different swingarm, fender, and forks, but I didn't realize they were as different as they appear to be....

Here are some other questions some members may be able to answer:

Just "how" different is the C from the M?

Will M aftermarket wheels fit the C?

Will the rear fender off an M bolt onto the C?

Traded a Harley FatBoy in on my C....Absolutely LOVE IT!!!!
I believe if you check the manufacturer stats, the wheels are different sizes from M to C. C runs 16" rims and I believe the rear on an M is 19"

·
Registered
45 Posts
Although my pic was before I installed them I chose the 3" Hardkrome pipes and love them. You can change baffles or take them out although I haven't done that yet. I like the sound as they are and so do my Harley riding buddies as they get to hear the back of my bike at will. I installed the TRE and Bully controller afterwards and it runs like a different bike, not just power but soo much smoother. The pipes did "pop" until I installed the controller though.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
115 Posts
if I put an exhaust on the bike, will it run more rich or lean. or should I drill out the baffles in the stock pipes? I would like a little louder, but I don't have the funds for one of the fuel management systems and pipes or vise a versa. If i drill out the baffle would I still need to get one of the management systems, or see if the local Suzuki dealer could reprogram te ecm?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
if I put an exhaust on the bike, will it run more rich or lean. or should I drill out the baffles in the stock pipes? I would like a little louder, but I don't have the funds for one of the fuel management systems and pipes or vise a versa. If i drill out the baffle would I still need to get one of the management systems, or see if the local Suzuki dealer could reprogram te ecm?

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you only do pipes fuel management is not needed
Yes but its higly recommende to block off the PAIR valve. Otherwise you will experience popping when you back off throttle.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I have aftermarket pipes on my 08 C no poping problem at all bike was made to run a little richer at bike shop, no controller needed but still have the surging feeling around town were controller could eliminate that and make bike preform that little bit better but it a cruiser not much around town running so im good
good luck ;)

G

·
Not to be argumentative but the reality is that you do need a fuel controller. Many bikes only need a fuel controller if something is done that actually makes it flow more air, i.e. significantly un-restricting or boosting intake or significantly un-restricting exhaust (if that's the actual bottleneck). Not so with the C109R(T). It needs a fuel injection controller right off the showroom floor. It is tuned sooo lean from the factory that it flat out does not run smooth on the low end and then goes flat on the high end. Both issues are from too little fuel at various points. In my opinion (yes, I know what they're worth), it just doesn't make sense to spend $10K or more on a bike with such a great motor and not prioritize making it run right.

Here are your choices...

a. Have dealer reprogram (add more fuel)...This will get you closer but you are tied to them if/when you change anything going forward.

b. Buy a Fuel Injection Controller...Depending on your choice, this will get you VERY close, will NOT cost you a lot of money, will give you the most flexibility, and will not tie you back to the dealer every time you make a change, or when something changes. This method can also enable the ability to select the 'mode' (performance/economy) that your bike is set to which can have a huge effect.

c. Buy a Fuel Injection Controller AND have your bike dyno tuned. This has the potential of getting you closest to the perfect tune, but will cost you the most. Most value oriented cruiser types don't need this level as the small gain over option b does not justify the significant added expense. This level is typically important to the sport bike or drag bike crowd where extracting every last bit of power is top priority and they're willing to pay for it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will look into the fuel management side of putting on the exhaust. This popping sound that you get if you don't mess with the fuel, is this a backfiring type sound?

Next the question for me is 2 into 1 or stay with the dual look that they are now? I am only 25 and have to make everything I own loud, so I want the best sound and still be pretty loud.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Vance & Hines is prototyping a Propipe for the C109R. But they dont know if it will come out on the market. If they decide to produce, it will hit the market no earlier then mid 2011.
I tried to give them the hint that many C owners has hard to find a good looking aftermarket exhaust.

G

·
I will look into the fuel management side of putting on the exhaust. This popping sound that you get if you don't mess with the fuel, is this a backfiring type sound?

Next the question for me is 2 into 1 or stay with the dual look that they are now? I am only 25 and have to make everything I own loud, so I want the best sound and still be pretty loud.
Drilling out the pipes definitely has a positive impact. At 49, it's loud enough, at least until someone comes out with a decent exhaust. It wouldn't have been loud enough for me when I was 25 though.

G

·
Vance & Hines is prototyping a Propipe for the C109R. But they dont know if it will come out on the market. If they decide to produce, it will hit the market no earlier then mid 2011.
I tried to give them the hint that many C owners has hard to find a good looking aftermarket exhaust.
Good to here. I know I would buy one...always liked V&H pipes on Cruisers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
RideNlave

Good to here. I know I would buy one...always liked V&H pipes on Cruisers.
Thanks guys very helpful forum. So to recap, taking out the baffles may not require a reprograming but there is a risk that you may suffer backfire though not necessarily? I have A M109 and I don't want to do make adjustments that may not be good for the bike. Can anyone reaffirm?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The only problem with removing the baffles here in PA is you may have some trouble getting it inspected, unless you have "your guy" that will do it for you. If they know what the stock pipes look like from factory they may not inspect it at some dealerships. I know when I traded my C50 in that had the baffles removed they were just absolutely shocked that I was able to get that inspected that way. I just can't make up my mind!!! Unluckily for me I have the winter to think about it. :-[ Thanks for all the help guys!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts