M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am loosing coolant but don't see it leaking and there is no puddle when I park it after riding.

I have checked both sides of the engine, below it, and the exhaust while engine running and no signs of leaks.

I have used the search feature on this site. The only thing I found is guys who actually see coolant leaking but don't know where its coming from.

What should I check for next?

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Pull the spark plugs and look to see if they look like they are blasted clean. You might have a blown head gasket. But that would be a worst case scenario. How fast is it dropping. Any loss is not good if you cant find the leak.
Bob

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
loose hoses

There are 3 or 4 hoses. You have to remove the tank and maybe the front covers to see them. Other members on the site stated that sometimes they could use a few turns with a screw driver. I had that same problem, I saw dried fluid but not the leak, mostly if I was running hard. I tightened the hoses a few turns (not too much the housing is plastic) and so far the problem isn't there any more. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pull the spark plugs and look to see if they look like they are blasted clean. You might have a blown head gasket. But that would be a worst case scenario. How fast is it dropping. Any loss is not good if you cant find the leak.
Bob
It went from Full to below Low after about 300 miles of riding but this was not a single trip this was over a 2 month time period.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I would check on what ghost said. That is a pretty long time and coolant will evaporate if left out in the open. Usually if it is a head gasket it goes pretty fast. And the bike starts over heating or you get coolant in the oil.

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
hose clamps between the jugs are loose from the factory, most of it leaks onto the motor and evaporates

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hose clamps between the jugs are loose from the factory, most of it leaks onto the motor and evaporates
If this is the case, will there be dried coolant on the engine or around the loose hose connections?

Its not good news if its a bad head gasket as stated in a previous post :pray:

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
Bob
I would think if he had a blown head gasket and he was burning it, you would see white smoke coming out of the tail pipe.

Just check and tighten all of the clamps. This is a V Twin and they need to be tightened down every once and a while.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
If you take the time to tighten all the hose clamps...top off the system...and make sure you "burp" out all the air after the fan cycles, you can be about 95% sure you coolant will stay at the proper level.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,874 Posts
You also loose some coolant over time just due to evaporation. It is 50% water and the reservoir isn't sealed. I have to add a few ounces to mine each year.

It also makes a difference when you look at it. When the bike is hot there will be more in the reservoir due to expansion.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Check your hose clamps bro!! I realy do not think it is a head gasket because if it was it would smoke like a smoke machine and you wouldn`t be able to see behind you kinda smoke!! make sure you do not have coolant getting into your oil just pull your dip stick if coolant is in the oil it will look milky and chokolatly!!!

On a side note 300 miles in 2 months you need some rideing time bro!!!:joke:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. I'll check my hoses and tighten the clamps this weekend.

I checked the oil and it looked clean, no signs of coolant mixed in with it.

@jrrose69 - Yes, I'm about to put in a lot of riding time over the summer months. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Time for me to plead mechanical ignorance...what does this mean exactly?:dontknow:
Sometimes when a cooling system gets too low and you fill it..air gets trapped in it. Being we don't have a sealed system you don't have to bleed the air with a bleeder valve when they fully heat up and the coolant expands. But you do have to make sure it expands...circulates and retop it off if the level drops from air pockets. Bleeding or "burping" is just an automotive term....when the cooling fan kicks on it's probably at it's full temperature.

·
Registered
56 Posts
How are U checking the coolant level

1) Coolant light comming on ?
2) How much R you loosing?
3) Do u smell coolant w/the engine is running?
4) are u just looking at the reservoir and u think you are low?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts