M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I guess out of force of habit I routinely park my 9 between the marker lines in a legal spot on whichever lot I'm on. Like most bikers I do try to park near whatever building I'm going into. In fact I have noticed that some shopping centers and other business places have specifically designated motorcycle parking spaces which are usually fairly close to the business place (which is pretty cool). I have noticed that a lot of the other bikes I see parked, are parked on the sidewalk, directly in front of a business place or on the hash marks of the handicapped section. Or you will see them parked in the fire lane close to a business place.

I observed a guy in a wheel chair having a tough time negotiating around a bike that was parked on the side walk leading from a parking lot into a restaurant the other day and it got me thinking. I'm just curious do guys feel safer parking illegally just be be closer and or be able to keep an eye on their bikes? Where do you normally park your bike?

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I'll park in front of a hydrant before parking on the hash marks of a handicapped zone. That seems to be a hanging offence in CA.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Wherever I can find a shady spot.

I do not need my helmet and seat cooking when I get out there, so I will even pick shade over close.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,870 Posts
I'll park in front of a hydrant before parking on the hash marks of a handicapped zone. That seems to be a hanging offence in CA.
And it should be. :bigthumbsup:

I park in the closest spot to wherever I'm going. I have started parking near the front of the parking slot since a friend of mine got his biked knocked over when a lady swung into the spot and hit the bike before she noticed it was there.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts

In the walk way going to my front door.:joke:

At work, right in front, where I can see it while in the front office.
At home, in my garage not too far from the Kimber .45
At the gym, on the side walk right in front. "always leaving room about 3 feet to pass by, and all the other bikers park there too.

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
I kind of go-with-the-flow. I tend to park where there are other bikes, i.e. safety-in-numbers. Any person who is sane knows that us bikers carry loaded guns and long knives, and aint afraid to use em.:D The more bikes there are, the more guns and knives will appear if you f--- with them!:bigthumbsup:

But I most definitely do not want to block off that "handicapped" person, who seems to be able to walk normally, and has no trouble doing anything at all, except for being a lard-a--. Do any of you ever wonder who determines if someone is handicapped, or not?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I kind of go-with-the-flow. I tend to park where there qre other bikes, i.e. safety-in-numbers. Any person who is sane knows that us bikers carry loaded guns and long knives, and aint afraid to use em.:D The more bikes there are, the more guns and knives will appear if you f--- with them!:bigthumbsup:

But I most definitely do not want to block off that "handicapped" person, who seems to be able to walk normally, and has no trouble doing anything at all, except for being a lard-a--. Do any of you ever wonder who determines if someone is handicapped, or not?
Yep....you are if you ride a Harley.:drool: :joke:

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Anywhere and everywhere....except handicapped areas..
:agree: i try to park as close as i can to wherever i will be BUT what is more important to me is that my bike remain visible to me so that i can check on it from time to time. i would never park in the hash marks of a handicap spot because that is just as bad as parking in the spot itself.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
And it should be. :bigthumbsup:

I park in the closest spot to wherever I'm going. I have started parking near the front of the parking slot since a friend of mine got his biked knocked over when a lady swung into the spot and hit the bike before she noticed it was there.
As do I. My wife calls me the parking lot surveyor. :D

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I usually park in a designated spot a$$ end first. When I go to the local grocery, there's an area in front of one of the rows I usually park. Other bikes park there, including at least one of the employees.

If there's a substantionally inferior bike in the lot, I park very close to it. :D Not naming brands here.

As far as handicap parking, they don't want be being the popo :cop:. Been known to call people out before for parking in those spots with no tag or plackard.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Parking

I like the shade for my nine if its available I always park there. But never in a fire lane or handicap zone, thats pretty low, vets and people in wheel chairs have a tuff enough time let alone having to work around a motorcycle parked in their way. Always parked between the lines in a parking lot if not shade is around. You have to use common sense and if its not available insurance will take over from there.

·
Registered
172 Posts
in the garage. i don't use it as a commuting vehicle or to run errands, its just a toy. i ride then park her back home. especially after i got the performance machine wheels, the attention it attracts is ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I try to park it out of the way.
At home, it's in the secured garage under the apartment building right next to my truck.
When I'm at a store, it depends...I've been known to park far enough away from the door that I didn't have to worry about someone else parking next to me. But, usually I'll park it wherever it appears that it might be safe from being run over.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Occasionally, I'll park on a large sidewalk. My wife yell at me every time I do it too. :joke: But, I'll only park away from doors with plenty of walking space around the bike. Otherwise, I'll park next to the most expensive (or nicest looking) car I can find. I figure they will be most likely to be aware of their doorswing.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I always us a designated parking space. Once in a while I see bikes parked on the sidewalk to. I just don't get it. :dontknow:

·
Registered
918 Posts

In the walk way going to my front door.:joke:

At work, right in front, where I can see it while in the front office.
At home, in my garage not too far from the Kimber .45
At the gym, on the side walk right in front. "always leaving room about 3 feet to pass by, and all the other bikers park there too.
that pic kills me, lol :clap2::clap2::clap2:

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
The reason I mentioned this is because my buddy got a $350 ticket for the rear tire of his bike barely touching the the white painted line surrounding the handicapped spot. His bike had no effect on the parking space or even if a wheel chair got out of a van parked in that space. He just paid it but I would have fought them. Total horse crap. Oh, did I mention we were in Berkeley CA?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I always park in a legal designated spot. Why should motorcyclise be able to park in the hashed areas near the handicapped spots? Those aren't spots made just for us. They are marked off for a reason so that if the handicapped person needs room enough for a chair lift to swing out they can easily do so.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts