M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was riding to work the other day and noticed I was getting a little low on fuel, but I only had about 30 miles left of my 60 mile commute and I thought I could make it 15 miles to the next gas station, so I wasn't worried. Well, I was right I made it there, but they didn't carry premium fuel, and I didn't want to put anything less than 91 octane in the bike. So I had to go another 15 miles to the next station. A little worried at this point. I'm about 2 miles away and passing a rock throwing semi and it happened! It died and had no power. Pulled the clutch in to get as much roll from her as I could and barely made it to the exit that was thankfully down hill! Coasted to the bottom and right before the stop I popped the clutch and got it to restart. She went another few blocks on fumes and coasted me to the pump! I was so thankful I didn't have to push her as it was one of the 95 degree days and I was in dress clothes and full leathers! :redfaced: ANYWAY the point of my story! I thought we had a 5.2 gal tank on these?? She took 5.3 and might have even been able to give her a little more had I taken the time to really top her off. So I must have the special Iowa edition with the 5.3-4 gal tank!! Any one else ran theirs out??

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Nope! But that brings upanother question. How many miles had you gone before you ran out?
Also, how many miles do you guys usually go before the low fuel light comes on? Mine comes on at around 120 miles or so. :confused:
I assume I've got at least another gallon before empty when that happens?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh I forgot to post this!!! My odometer when I pulled into the gas station was a scarry 3666!!!!  :yikes: :yikes: I had about 175 miles on that tank.

·
Registered
516 Posts
same here, i have not run her dry yet (with support vehicle) so i can see exactly how many miles i can go before she is dry. but about 120-140 sounds about right for me depending how i get on the throttle when that little light starts to blink. i am curious to see how many out there view their mileage.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Lose the first bar right at 100 miles, usually. Light starts flashing around 160 and goes steady around 180. 38mpg is the worst mileage I've gotten that I know of. I don't check it every tankfull. The best was 47, but that was mostly downhill.

·
Registered
26 Posts
took a 500 mile road trip with a buddy on a vulcan nomad we would stop when he had on bar left on his gauge ( I had 4 left) right at 130 miles. Topped off with 2.6 gallons like ckockwork over two days riding. I'm 225lbs. and we ran about 70-75 mph. I was happy with app. 50 mpg

G

·
My light comes on at about 150 miles. It seems to come on when it goes from 2 marks to just one.

My bike consistently gets 40 mpg and I made it to 197 miles once and chickened out and got fuel.

I have run my bike on low grade fuel quite a bit and had no issues. I would have put a gallon in as insurance against running out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
is it that big of a problem that we always have to have premium. i always buy it but a few times i have had to put in regular and didnt notice any difference in power or anywhere eles.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Joshua_109 said:
: ANYWAY the point of my story! I thought we had a 5.2 gal tank on these?? She took 5.3 and might have even been able to give her a little more had I taken the time to really top her off. So I must have the special Iowa edition with the 5.3-4 gal tank!! Any one else ran theirs out??

Have you thought about the fact that maybe the gas pump was off by a few tenths?  ::) Gas stations have been known to cheat a few tenths to make a little extra profit off of folks...I know this because a friend of mine here at work has called our local Agri Dept. on a few local gas stations when she felt she was not getting the correct amount of gas from their pumps...and both times she called they temporarily shut the station down due to their pumps not being correctly calibrated and fined them as well. With gas prices as high as they are now...I want every freakin' penny of gas I pay for. So maybe have your State Agri Dept. (or whomever oversees the pumps) and have them check that stations pumps.  :D

G

·
Also, you have to take into account that Suzuki recommends only filling to the bottom of the filler neck to allow for expansion in the heat.

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
how in the hell do you guys get such good gas mileage? i've got 110 miles on my tank right now and the low fuel is flashing at me. Most Ive ever gotten was 172miles and it was running on fumes when i pulled into the station. I'm averaging 30 to 35 most of the time which is ok, but if people are getting in the 40's consistently then maybe I'm running rich or twisting the right grip too hard. :D

·
Registered
310 Posts
I get 160 to 180 before the light starts blinking at me, and have consistantly gotten over 40 mpg. the worst I ever had that I checked was 38 mpg. :D

·
Registered
665 Posts
I can't say for sure yet! I just picked my bike up yesterday,and have 100miles on it. The first bar dissapeared last night,when it hit the 100,mile mark.

·
Registered
844 Posts
YEP! I ran her out too.

The reason I'm posting is because it was very strange -- I'm usually pretty comfortable even when the light goes solid, becaus I know from experience that I can go at least another 30 miles or so before I'm REALLY out.

The other day I only got about FIVE miles after the light went solid -- and sure enough -- out of fuel.

One other point: I've been forced to put regular in the tank by circumstances -- and it ran O.K. -- as long as you didn't lug it at low rpm. I just put in a couple of gallons to get me out of the boonies -- then topped up with 93 Octane -- and "No Problem".

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
BlkM109r said:
how in the hell do you guys get such good gas mileage? i've got 110 miles on my tank right now and the low fuel is flashing at me. Most Ive ever gotten was 172miles and it was running on fumes when i pulled into the station. I'm averaging 30 to 35 most of the time which is ok, but if people are getting in the 40's consistently then maybe I'm running rich or twisting the right grip too hard. :D
+1

All of my miles are city riding, and not going easy on the throttle. ;)
I wonder if some of these higher mileage numbers are coming from guys that are doing mostly highway miles? I'm sure that's the case with Hal, but the others?? :confused:

·
Registered
76 Posts
BlkM109r said:
I have to agree with you I only average about 30 to 32 mpg. Also my gas gage seems to stay at five bars for about 100 miles then within 20 or 30 more miles it goes down to one bar.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.