M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes when I pull the clutch in and wait a few seconds, I cannot shift into first from neutral. When this happens, I simply release the clutch and pull it back in and immediately shift into first. This works everytime.
I just don't understand why it won't if there is a delay from the time you pull in the clutch til you acutally do the shift.
This may not be a real problem of sorts but I just wanted some opinions.

G

·
Sometimes when I pull the clutch in and wait a few seconds, I cannot shift into first from neutral. When this happens, I simply release the clutch and pull it back in and immediately shift into first. This works everytime.
I just don't understand why it won't if there is a delay from the time you pull in the clutch til you acutally do the shift.
This may not be a real problem of sorts but I just wanted some opinions.
Are you stopped?

If so the drive side gear can stop spinnig with the engine and the driven side gears are stopped cause you're not moving. This means that the gears can't rotatate into position for the selector gear dogs to align and lock together. Letting the clutch out spins them up again.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Every bike I've ever ridden has done this... If it doesn't go into first easily, let go of the clutch a little and it will click in... no biggie :bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,146 Posts
Every bike I've ever ridden has done this... If it doesn't go into first easily, let go of the clutch a little and it will click in... no biggie :bigthumbsup:
That's the way I do mine. Just let the clutch out slowly while shoving down on the lever and it pops right in. And as Rico said, all the bikes I've had have been like this too.

·
Registered
518 Posts
It's called double clutching!

·
Registered
64 Posts
It's called double clutching!
No.

Double clutching is using the clutch twice per shift to ensure the gear speeds are matched. When changing gears in an Eaton Roadranger, you clutch depressed to disengage gear, release the clutch to speed up or slow down the gears as required, depress the clutch again and select the gear you have prepared the gearbox for, then release the clutch again.

What is being described above is the gears have stalled and the rider is releasing the clutch slightly so to turn the gear set and align the dog. This is a well used technique and, in my opinion, a better practice than just engaging the clutch and slamming the gear set into mesh.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts